Darrell Perkins named Defensive Back Coach | The Boneyard

Darrell Perkins named Defensive Back Coach

Reaction Score

>>"It is with great pleasure to announce that Darrell Perkins has rejoined our Football Family here at UConn, said head coach Randy Edsall. "Darrell understands what it takes to win at UConn and has developed some outstanding defensive backs in his previous stint at UConn. To add a coach and person with Darrell's experience and knowledge of the University of Connecticut will make us a better program."<<

Reaction Score
>>Perkins coached at Connecticut for four years (2010-13), working with the secondary. While at Connecticut, Perkins helped develop Blidi Wreh-Wilson and Dwayne Gratz, who were both selected in the third round of the 2013 NFL Draft. He also worked with future 2015 first round pick, Byron Jones, while at UConn.

In 2012, UConn's DB's helped the Huskies defense to rank ninth in the country, and first in the BIG EAST, in total defense.

In 2010, the UConn defense was tied for fifth nationally in interceptions and ranked 28th in the nation in pass efficiency defense. The Huskies went 8-5 that year, winning a share of the BIG EAST and earning a trip to the Fiesta Bowl.<<

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Retread... can he recruit in this current climate.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Solid. Given his DBs at Fordham also played well I have to believe he has a strong grasp of fundamental techniques and tackling. That's certainly where our DBs were lacking last year.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Perfectly fine hire, but odd to do this before the DC is announced, no?

Well, that probably means they know who the next DC is already and they are just awaiting for the position to close.

You could probably even reverse engineer and figure out which DC candidates may have worked with Perkins previously and would sign off on the hire.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Did he find Gratz, Blidi, and Jones? We need coaches that can identify under the radar talent again, the best coaches in college football couldn't make our players better.

Reaction Score
Retread... can he recruit in this current climate.

Recruiting is about relationships (player/parents/high school coaches) and building trust. Those skills never go out of style. Developing players into NFL prospects is a nice door opener as well.

In his career (@ UConn and elsewhere), Perkins was responsible for recruiting Virginia, Georgia and Central MD/DC. All areas we need to continue to mine.

Reaction Score

>>"It is with great pleasure to announce that Darrell Perkins has rejoined our Football Family here at UConn, said head coach Randy Edsall. "Darrell understands what it takes to win at UConn and has developed some outstanding defensive backs in his previous stint at UConn. To add a coach and person with Darrell's experience and knowledge of the University of Connecticut will make us a better program."<<

Where was he before...?

Reaction Score
Where was he before...?
765C3046-A211-477D-ACFE-E324C2C30281.jpeg

Reaction Score
Perfectly fine hire, but odd to do this before the DC is announced, no?

He knows who he wants to be the DC. This fits into his plan. Probably wanta to get this guy on -board to jump into recruiting rather than waiting several more days...

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Recruiting is about relationships (player/parents/high school coaches) and building trust. Those skills never go out of style. Developing players into NFL prospects is a nice door opener as well.

In his career (@ UConn and elsewhere), Perkins was responsible for recruiting Virginia, Georgia and Central MD/DC. All areas we need to continue to mine.

Completely agree. I suppose I did just read a story that Nick Saban doesn't text and does fine recruiting.

Reaction Score
Did he find Gratz, Blidi, and Jones? We need coaches that can identify under the radar talent again, the best coaches in college football couldn't make our players better.
I respectfully disagree here. I think we have talent. Hopefully year two will bring about improvement. You’re still judging these DB’s (an already tough position to play) as freshmen playing against veterans most of the time. The odds were heavily stacked against them. I’m reserving judgement until Year three.

Reaction Score
Whatever ....

Past success is no guarranttee of future success, as the safe harbor narrative goes. This will be the last change at this position before HCRE2.0's contract runs out unless someone leaves and there is a reshuffle. My mind is open.

Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree here. I think we have talent. Hopefully year two will bring about improvement. You’re still judging these DB’s (an already tough position to play) as freshmen playing against veterans most of the time. The odds were heavily stacked against them. I’m reserving judgement until Year three.
I feel a lot better about the DBs than the LBs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom