Dantonio stepping down | The Boneyard

Dantonio stepping down

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Cashing out with that $4.3MM retention bonus deposited into his account on January 15, 2020.

Reaction Score
Sounds like he committed some NCAA violations. He is also sited in a lawsuit by a former employee last name Blackwell.

Reaction Score
Give him a year to work through this. He probably needs a year off anyway after such a long stint at MSU.

Then let's see if we have a vacancy

Reaction Score
Unless they are promoting from within this is going to affect 2 programs and the committed recruits at those schools. Maybe the schools will now put a clause in contracts that if you get the bonus you have to stay as coach until the end of the next season or the bonus is reduced based on the month you leave.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Cashing out with that $4.3MM retention bonus deposited into his account on January 15, 2020.
His agent is genius for putting the date so early in the year. My guess is "retention" bonuses won't be paid out until after the first week of the following season from now on.

Totally unfair to his early signees and while he didn't give his late signers much time to reevaluate, at the very least, he announced before the late NLI date. Tough to feel sympathy for a BIG TEN program swimming in free cash flow, but D'antoni is the only one who really makes out well here.

Husky25

Reaction Score
And it starts...

Reaction Score
His agent is genius for putting the date so early in the year. My guess is "retention" bonuses won't be paid out until after the first week of the following season from now on.

Totally unfair to his early signees and while he didn't give his late signers much time to reevaluate, at the very least, he announced before the late NLI date. Tough to feel sympathy for a BIG TEN program swimming in free cash flow, but D'antoni is the only one who really makes out well here.
More likely that the retention bonus was for staying put through the 2019 season. It was paid after bowl games and playoffs were over.

Husky25

Reaction Score
More likely that the retention bonus was for staying put through the 2019 season. It was paid after bowl games and playoffs were over.
So I take it that was presumably clearly communicated to Jordan Simmons.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

My guess is his contract has wording which could put him on the hook for bonus money if it's found he committed violations. There's typically wording to such effect, but possession is nine tenth's of the law. Regardless, quitting the day before signing day says a lot.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Sparty is a sewer filled with lowlifes. I was heartened to see Luke Fickell turn down the job due to "concerns about campus culture at MSU."

Reaction Score
Sparty is a sewer filled with lowlifes. I was heartened to see Luke Fickell turn down the job due to "concerns about campus culture at MSU."

Ohio State had a run of issues during Fickell’s time there. Maybe he would feel at home at MSU.

Reaction Score
I have just found this thread right now and freaked. Feel better now that a few weeks have passed and Edsall is still here.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I have just found this thread right now and freaked. Feel better now that a few weeks have passed and Edsall is still here.
You thought he might get the MSU job?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom