Daniel Hamilton signs guaranteed deal with Hawks | The Boneyard

Daniel Hamilton signs guaranteed deal with Hawks

Reaction Score
Congrats to him, this is a great opportunity and the Hawks need all the help they can get.

Reaction Score
So since leaving UConn he's probably made at least $1.25m. Not bad for a kid who "left too early." I'll happily eat some crow on this
Actually, from a Hawks blog:
"Hamilton’s deal will be a fully guaranteed minimum contract with Atlanta, netting him roughly $1.35 million for the year."

Reaction Score
Actually, from a Hawks blog:
"Hamilton’s deal will be a fully guaranteed minimum contract with Atlanta, netting him roughly $1.35 million for the year."
Do 2-way years count towards years of NBA experience? The first year minimum is like $900k this year, the second year minimum is $1.35m. Would be cool if he does get the second year rate

Reaction Score
Congratulations to DHAM. Essentially this is the same outcome for him had he stayed 4 years and been a first round pick.

Very very good point. The only difference is if he stayed he would have regressed and probably not have been drafted. #Ollie

Very excited to DHam

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I am happy for him as I was one as well who thought he left earlier than he should have IMHO.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
So since leaving UConn he's probably made at least $1.25m. Not bad for a kid who "left too early." I'll happily eat some crow on this

Same. Happy for DHam.

While many, including myself, thought he left early... maybe DHam knew what he was doing after all. The program has been a train wreck since he left. He probably did develop more in the D league than he would have under KO (similarly to Purvis thriving in the D League and with the Magic).

Amida might be next.

It's odd seeing what we perceived to be disjointed, flawed, or average players in college under KOs coaching become productive pros and outperforming expectations once leaving UConn. That speaks volumes. I think we were all in denial about KO and the poor state of the program.

Can't help but feel happy for our guys seeing them blossom after the hell they went through here. Way to go DHam.

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Same. Happy for DHam.

While many, including myself, thought he left early... maybe Dan Hurley knew what he was doing after all. The program has been a train wreck since he left. He probably did develop more in the D league than he would have under KO (similarly to Purvis thriving in the D League and with the Magic).

Amida might be next.

It's odd seeing what we perceived to be disjointed, flawed, or average players in college under KOs coaching become productive pros and outperforming expectations once leaving UConn. That speaks volumes. I think we were all in denial about KO and the poor state of the program.

Can't help but feel happy for our guys seeing them blossom after the hell they went through here. Way to go Dan Hurley.

On Brima it’s interesting he most effective his freshman year...and he was really freaking amazing per bpa. And I’m not blaming Ollie for brima having just abysmal hands.

Reaction Score
Essentially this is the same outcome for him had he stayed 4 years and been a first round pick.

Good lord. So instead he should have feigned interest in school and not dedicated himself to his craft all waking hours? cmon man.

Reaction Score
Same. Happy for DHam.

While many, including myself, thought he left early... maybe Dan Hurley knew what he was doing after all. The program has been a train wreck since he left. He probably did develop more in the D league than he would have under KO (similarly to Purvis thriving in the D League and with the Magic).

Amida might be next.

Can't help but feel happy for our guys seeing them blossom after the hell they went through here. Way to go Dan Hurley.

I don’t get your angle with Hurley here

Reaction Score
Congratulations to DHAM. Essentially this is the same outcome for him had he stayed 4 years and been a first round pick.
Well, he already made at least $200k since leaving UConn before this contract, a more lucrative second contract comes up sooner than if he was just drafted, and he'll make more than 6 first round picks this year. But besides that it's similar.

Reaction Score
Well, he already made at least $200k since leaving UConn before this contract, a more lucrative second contract comes up sooner than if he was just drafted, and he'll make more than 6 first round picks this year. But besides that it's similar.

I think the proper way to state this is that he didn’t make an awful decision. I still think he left too early. Based on this Forbes article, even the last player in the first round is guaranteed 3.5m. That may be more than he ever makes in the NBA. 2018 NBA Draft: First-Round Rookie Salary Projections

If he had overlapped with Jalen more there is an argument to be made that he would have been much more efficient based on not having to force it all the time and having the opposing team having to stretch their defense on two players who can penetrate.

I think he could have been a top 20 pick which would guarantee him almost $5m.

I wish him the absolute best and loved watching him dump it off to Amida, but the jury is still out on his early move. If he ends up making $10m+ On his career you can say he did it his way, he wasn’t into college and it was gonna be too much of a distraction. If he flames out this year it will still be a bad move. Either way i believe it will have cost him a couple mill.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Congratulations DHAM!
UConn is finding alternative routes to the NBA.

Reaction Score

If he had stayed and became a first round pick, he has more money in his pocket at this point. But it's all water under the bridge at this point.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I think the proper way to state this is that he didn’t make an awful decision. I still think he left too early. Based on this Forbes article, even the last player in the first round is guaranteed 3.5m. That may be more than he ever makes in the NBA. 2018 NBA Draft: First-Round Rookie Salary Projections

If he had overlapped with Jalen more there is an argument to be made that he would have been much more efficient based on not having to force it all the time and having the opposing team having to stretch their defense on two players who can penetrate.

I think he could have been a top 20 pick which would guarantee him almost $5m.

I wish him the absolute best and loved watching him dump it off to Amida, but the jury is still out on his early move. If he ends up making $10m+ On his career you can say he did it his way, he wasn’t into college and it was gonna be too much of a distraction. If he flames out this year it will still be a bad move. Either way i believe it will have cost him a couple mill.

I don't know that DHam would've ever been a 1st round pick. He didn't have the handle to be a great two-guard, and he didn't have the size to be a great small forward. I think he could've stayed for one more year and set himself up a little better to hopefully make an NBA roster right away, but leaving a year early when there are major questions about whether or not you're ever going to be a 1st round pick isn't a bad move.

Reaction Score
. I think we were all in denial about KO and the poor state of the program.
Liked your post... except for the line quoted above. I think it was becoming quite clear that the coaching was not up to standard by the time he decided to leave. I think most of us cringed and hoped it would change when Ollie shuffled his coaching staff...or that a light might go on that he needed to pay attention to the details. IMO, DHam and his father believed that was a long shot and decided his alternative route to the league was a better option than investing more time with Ollie. The transfers were harbingers of the same thing. I'm not sure how DHam could have developed into a first round pick with Ollie's lack of player development style...no matter how hard DHam worked. Just listen to JA about what finally getting a good developmental coach means to him. JA was at a similar point this off-season and chose to come back because of Dan Hurley. I'm not sure DHam wouldn't have made the same choice if we had a coach like Dan Hurley in place back then. Good for him on recognizing the situation, then working hard enough to achieve his dream!

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I don't know that DHam would've ever been a 1st round pick. He didn't have the handle to be a great two-guard, and he didn't have the size to be a great small forward.

He played the point in the D League this past season and nearly averaged a triple double.

Reaction Score
He played the point in the D League this past season and nearly averaged a triple double.
Yeah, that makes no sense. He has a guaranteed NBA contract and there's a claim that he couldn't excel in college?!

Hopefully Hamilton stays on the work hard on his game, earn your spot path that he appears to be on. There's still a tremendous difference between the D-league and 'the show' and hopefully the goal is to stay there, improve and reach his potential. Certainly his steps over past few years are working out in that direction.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I questioned his leaving, but after seeing how poorly he tested athletically at the combine he was going to need to dominate the g league to get a shot anyway.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom