Danger is the real deal. | The Boneyard

Danger is the real deal.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I am always a little suspicious with the hype surrounding players, particularly young players who’ve yet to establish themselves. Last season, we saw moments of brilliance from Danger, but never witnessed the consistency that would allow Geno to turn over the keys to the Ferrari. So when we heard from everyone going into this season that Danger was the most improved player on the team, I remained somewhat skeptical, assuming that she might still be a year away and Z would ultimately prevail in the battle for the 5th starting spot.

While one exhibition game is not necessarily conclusive proof that the situation is settled, of all the Huskies, Danger was the single most impressive player on the court last night. She ran the offense beautifully and, as some have pointed out, Danger would have had double digit assists in only 23 minutes on the floor if her teammates made their layups. Danger ended the game with 7 assists and 2 TO’s. She was sound defensively and shot the ball well, knocking down 2-4 from the arc.

While UConn fans should be delighted to finally see Danger play to the level we all anticipated when she arrived from high school as the #2 ranked recruit and #1 pg a year ago, her teammates have to be ecstatic. As Geno pointed out in his post-game presser, “Crystal’s pretty good at getting people the ball.” What I was most impressed about was that she made all the right passes and didn’t attempt to force anything. Danger made a number of crisp passes to Kia, Lou and others who were open at the arc for catch and shoot 3’s. She executed a couple beautiful pick and rolls with Z. She delivered great passes to the right person on the break.

There’s still a long way to go this season, but I love what I’m seeing from Danger so far. She has made a believer out of me and is truly the REAL DEAL!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Of all the beneficiaries of Danger’s improved play this season, Kia will benefit the most imo. I’ve stated after her torrid 3-pt shooting in the Tournament last season, Kia would lead the nation in 3-pt shooting this season. That would not necessarily be the case if Kia was the pg.

With Danger firmly established as the pg, Kia is free to play hard-nosed defense and run the court on offense filling a lane for a pass from Danger and an easy bucket, or setting up behind the arc for Danger to penetrate and kick out for a catch-and-shoot 3.

Reaction Score
Did you guys see Crystal's post-game interview? Sounds like a totally different person from last year when she seemed a lot more timid and uncomfortable in those situations. Nice to see that sophomore leap and not just in the on court stuff.

Reaction Score
Wait, i thought kia was going to run the team and gabby or kls were playing guard according to most of you? Lmfao!
Just remember its the first preseason game and i doubt much was taken from it by the coaches. We will see the real team in 10 days against Stanford,

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Wait, i thought kia was going to run the team and gabby or kls were playing guard according to most of you? Lmfao!
Just remember its the first preseason game and i doubt much was taken from it by the coaches. We will see the real team in 10 days against Stanford,
AJ, you have earned the right to gloat a little, although I do believe that part of your steadfast belief that Crystal would start was that Pheesa would come off the bench, so the BY can only give you half credit. ;)

Reaction Score
One of the strongest qualities of UConn's WBB teams is its passing ability. All of the Core Four are great passers. It appears that Geno's subbing this year will be situational. When he wants to speed up the game, he'll have CD in there; when he needs height and rebounding, it'll be Z. Coach likes to have 5 players who start game after game, and I think he's mulling over whether to have a set line-up to begin or to alternate CD and Z. Of course, often both women will play together.

I thought the game was BLEH. Some of the usual wonderful moments (mostly provided by Gabby) coupled with some cringe-inducing misses at the rim. Lou has just about mastered the art of cutting off opponents from driving around her; Crystal has not (technique trumps speed). Collier's is the most complete game on the floor. The freshmen are presently as hard to sort out as Snow White's dwarfs. I suspect we'll see little of Molly and Kyla this season.

In sum, the jury is out on what the 2017-18 edition will look like come Nov. 12.

Reaction Score
AJ, you have earned the right to gloat a little, although I do believe that part of your steadfast belief that Crystal would start was that Pheesa would come off the bench, so the BY can only give you half credit. ;)
No i said collier will come off the bench but its not her that replaces collier its Z that replaces her. I think Z will beat out collier for the 5th starters spot. I knew all along that Dangerfield would be the starting pg and run the team.

Reaction Score
It does appear she is about a year ahead of Moriah at that stage.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You're still gonna owe me $100 for Collier. Talk about LYAO.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No i said collier will come off the bench but its not her that replaces collier its Z that replaces her. I think Z will beat out collier for the 5th starters spot. I knew all along that Dangerfield would be the starting pg and run the team.
OK. I'll write that down. But keep in mind that while I accept a little gloating today from you on the Danger prediction, if Collier doesn't come off the bench once the season starts, I'll expect you to eat a healthy portion of humble pie.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Did you guys see Crystal's post-game interview? Sounds like a totally different person from last year when she seemed a lot more timid and uncomfortable in those situations. Nice to see that sophomore leap and not just in the on court stuff.
So I just watched Danger's post-game interview, and you are spot-on. She seems like a completely different person. Her answers are thoughtful. She wreaks of confidence and most importantly she's smiling.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom