Dan Orlovsky's call of the game? | The Boneyard

Dan Orlovsky's call of the game?

Reaction Score
Was there in person so I have no real sense how he did other than a few Twitter/passing BY comments...

Insight?

Reaction Score
he didn't really talk that much. I think he held back a bit because it was UConn

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I thought he was pretty good overall. The play by play guy was pretty bad though. Made a bunch of bad calls (calling catches when they didn't happen, calling incomplete when they were catches, confusing players).

The start to the game was tough for everybody. Once it got into the flow though, I thought Dan O was pretty polished and added a lot to the discussion (aside from the usual ESPN overfocus on specific things like MM being from Hawaii along with Mariota and Tua).

Reaction Score
Go back and listen to Herbsreit's first Thursday night game call in 1999. Back then they said Beano Cook has nothing to worry about.

When he started Herbstreit was as much an amateur as DO. Hopefully DO follows Herbstreit's trajectory.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I'd give him a B. Not bad for a first time announcer. He only made one very minor grammatical error that I noticed. He seemed to have done his homework on both teams. He'll improve with experience and settle in.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Go back and listen to Herbsreit's first Thursday night game call in 1999. Back then they said Beano Cook has nothing to worry about.

You mean other than every type of cancer right?

Reaction Score
If he played any position other than QB he wouldn't get a sniff for any type of analyst gig. Not saying he was bad, but he certainly didn't do anything that would make me pick up the phone if it were an audition.

ESPN's kind of hypocritical when it comes to this stuff. They've got no problem burying other businesses for being anything less than super progressive, but when it comes to hiring analysts their lack of diversity jumps out at you. There are so many guys that know so much football that don't even get a look for those roles because they're not "polished" enough.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Probably tough to talk into a headset when you’re double-facepalming all game
I was wondering if he had a mute button because I'm sure an explitive may have come out of his mouth when Pindell through that pick at the end of the first half.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I thought he did a solid job. Aside from questions directed to him about his UConn connection, you wouldn't have known he was an alum.

Thought he had some solid insight and did his homework beforehand as well.

The only weird thing was how they kept talking about Hawaiin QBs. At least 3 separate instances with graphics to boot.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I thought he did a solid job. Aside from questions directed to him about his UConn connection, you wouldn't have known he was an alum.

Thought he had some solid insight and did his homework beforehand as well.

The only weird thing was how they kept talking about Hawaiin QBs. At least 3 separate instances with graphics to boot.
He did a nice job. I love his qb analysis videos. Great job of breaking down plays. I learn a lot from his videos.

Reaction Score
The only weird thing was how they kept talking about Hawaiin QBs.
Really? I think it’s pretty darn noteworthy. If a recent Heisman winner, a potential Heisman winner and last year’s National Champion we’re all QB’s from Hawaii, Alaska, or Rhode Island I’d be interested. Because it’s interesting. But that’s me.

Reaction Score
I'd give him a B. Not bad for a first time announcer. He only made one very minor grammatical error that I noticed. He seemed to have done his homework on both teams. He'll improve with experience and settle in.

I thought I heard him refer to UConn as "US" one time. Either I imagined it or it was a slip by him.

Reaction Score
B-/C+ If I were a random viewer who had just channel-surfed to the game, nothing about his presence, delivery, insight or analysis would have made me say, "Hey, who is this guy?"

Reaction Score
I like him as a broadcaster. He'll get better with each outing--hopefully all of us do when we start a new gig. But credibility is also built on accuracy and his bold unprompted utterance of "I'll take Michigan big and Washington big" was an unforced error. (As a contrast, my pick of UConn was a forced error!)

Reaction Score
I thought he had a really slow start. When the game started there were long gaps of silence where I thought he was supposed to be providing commentary but it was like dead air. Seemed to struggle to get things out but he settled down and was fine as the game went on.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've heard worse. I thought he did a solid job especially for a first outing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom