Dan Hurley's deep UConn roster will have players competing for minutes: 'The way it should be' (Mike Anthony) | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley's deep UConn roster will have players competing for minutes: 'The way it should be' (Mike Anthony)

Reaction Score
Good read/player review by Mike…

-> The UConn men’s basketball team’s frontcourt is crowded, and that’s encouraging. There’s not necessarily going to be enough room in the lineup on a given night for each member to play a significant role, despite each having either the experience or potential to contribute.

“It’s the way it should be,” coach Dan Hurley said Thursday. “It should be hard to get on the court at UConn.”

The Huskies came out of summer workouts healthy. UConn’s first practice is set for Tuesday. The team is allowed 30 practices in advance of the Nov. 9 opener against Central Connecticut. <-

Reaction Score
“We look good,” Hurley said. “Deep team. The question is, can our key three players play at a near all-conference level?”

Hurley was referring to point guard R.J. Cole, wing Tyrese Martin and power forward Adama Sanogo.

“And I’d throw Isaiah [Whaley] in there, too,” he said
Sounds like these 4 are locked in to start.

Reaction Score
The Whaley / Akok question appears answered if Akok and Johnson are fighting for 3rd spot..

I personally would start Akok as a better game strategy, without regard to other factors. I prefer Whaley to have 5 fouls to back up Sanogo at the 5 against teams with powerful centers, so I would start Akok at the 4 to prevent risk of wasting a foul early in the game. Without Carlton, Whaley is the only guy who might be able to match up generally. I also want Whaley to be able to play trapping defense in the full court late in games if we need it. Was there any games where Sanogo did not go to the bench with 2 fouls in the first half? There is plenty of run for Whaley off the bench.

Reaction Score
The Whaley / Akok question appears answered if Akok and Johnson are fighting for 3rd spot..

I personally would start Akok as a better game strategy, without regard to other factors. I prefer Whaley to have 5 fouls to back up Sanogo at the 5 against teams with powerful centers, so I would start Akok at the 4 to prevent risk of wasting a foul early in the game. Without Carlton, Whaley is the only guy who might be able to match up generally. I also want Whaley to be able to play trapping defense in the full court late in games if we need it. Was there any games where Sanogo did not go to the bench with 2 fouls in the first half? There is plenty of run for Whaley off the bench.
Didn’t appear that way, it’s what he said. For Akok to start this year, something went significantly well for him & likely significantly bad for IW. Don’t see Akok starting, especially after reading this. If he does, it’ll be the result of injury, significant development, or underperforming by IW.

I think the competition & pace though will allow us to see the AK/Sanogo lineup that it appears you an others want to see, for significant stretches

Reaction Score
Didn’t appear that way, it’s what he said. For Akok to start this year, something went significantly well for him & likely significantly bad for IW. Don’t see Akok starting, especially after reading this. If he does, it’ll be the result of injury, significant development, or underperforming by IW.

I think the competition & pace though will allow us to see the AK/Sanogo lineup that it appears you an others want to see, for significant stretches
I couldn't read the article but was that a quote from Hurley or Anthony? The way it's shown in the tweet makes it seem like it's from Anthony. Not that I disagree with the take, I'd be shocked if Whaley isn't starting

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Sounds like these 4 are locked in to start.
Seems like Andre, Gaff and Hawk are competing for that final guard spot. Surprised Martin is a lock with his sometimes out of control play. But he’s tough and a hustler 2 things coach puts a lot of emphasis on.

Reaction Score
I couldn't read the article but was that a quote from Hurley or Anthony? The way it's shown in the tweet makes it seem like it's from Anthony. Not that I disagree with the take, I'd be shocked if Whaley isn't starting

I think this quote further solidifies that we'll see Whaley and Sanogo at the 4 and 5:

"Of Johnson, Hurley said, 'To get minutes in the frontcourt, he’s got Adama, who we think can be one of the best players in the Big East. And we’ve got Isaiah, who is an invaluable place. And he’s probably competing with Akok to get on the court.'"

Reaction Score
You should be able to read the article. PM me if you want how to. Or just sign up for their $0.99 special for 6 months which will get you to the end of the season.

Reaction Score
You should be able to read the article. PM me if you want how to. Or just sign up for their $0.99 special for 6 months which will get you to the end of the season.
All the ways that used to work failed so I gave up after a few minutes. I'm sure I could figure it out if I kept trying or just signed up

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Last year, I distinctly remember Hurley catching some stick for not giving certain players minutes "no matter what." That goes against the the "competing for minutes approach."

Reaction Score
Last year, I distinctly remember Hurley catching some stick for not giving certain players minutes "no matter what." That goes against the the "competing for minutes approach."

I do think Hurley can be a little too stingy with minutes - and has made some questionable rotation decisions - for guys who are clearly playing well and improving the team overall. Specifically, I’m thinking of how he handled Sanogo for most of last season. But, I might be a little off the point you’re trying to make

Reaction Score

I personally would start Akok as a better game strategy, without regard to other factors. I prefer Whaley to have 5 fouls to back up Sanogo at the 5 against teams with powerful centers, so I would start Akok at the 4 to prevent risk of wasting a foul early in the game. Without Carlton, Whaley is the only guy who might be able to match up generally. I also want Whaley to be able to play trapping defense in the full court late in games if we need it. Was there any games where Sanogo did not go to the bench with 2 fouls in the first half? There is plenty of run for Whaley off the
Your point about no Carlton to match up with a real big is troubling like USC last year.
Hopefully Springs or Johnson could fill that roll Sonogo and Whaley are maybe 6’8”. Akok is not that physical.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
where is dagger trey man? mebbe it's time to file a missing persons report on that '6th man oy,' since i've seen nary a word or pic aboot him in fahever.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The amount of hand-wringing over frontcourt minutes makes no sense to me. Akok, Whaley, and Sanogo are all going to play plenty of minutes next year. The ones that play the best will get the most minutes. If Akok is out there swatting shots left and right and draining 3s at a 35+% clip, he's not going to sit the bench.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's what we all expected, or should have. I think Akok can push Whaley to the bench, but he's going to have to go out there and do it in games. Hurley is going to roll with Sanogo and IW as starters, as he should. We all knew Cole was a lock. We should have known Martin is a lock, he's our most complete player and consistently does the right thing. If AJax wants to push Martin to the bench, like Akok, he's going to need to force that with his play. Other than Martin, every guy at the 2-3 has a hole or multiple holes in their game, or in the case of Hawkins, is an unknown at this level. I expect DH will flex those guys around and the guys that bring it at both ends will play. I'd be surprised if Gaffney isn't the SG on opening night.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
You know who’s really talented is Samson Johnson. I don’t know when the light switch comes on. Does it come on sometime this year? Beginning of sophomore year? Middle of sophomore year? That guy has enormous, NBA-level, athletic talent. When stuff slows down for him, he’s special.”
:)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom