Dan Hurley | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley

Reaction Score
Heard a story tonight from when he was first under consideration for the Wagner job. At that point, he was a successful high school coach with some college experience at Rutgers. King Rice was another candidate up for the job and had a lot more collegiate experience with assistant level jobs at Oregon, Illinois State, Providence and Vanderbilt over a 20 year career or so.

During or after the interview process (I forget), Bob Hurley called up the AD at Wagner and basically said to the guy "Listen, I know you have to go through your process and everything, and that's fine, but if you hire Danny, I promise you, we won't let him fail."

And then the rest is history.

Just thought this was a cool little story that provided a brief look into the support Hurley has and wanted to share. Think it will be very hard for him not to be successful with the people he's surrounded himself with. Very excited to have him (and Bob Sr.) in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Heard a story tonight from when he was first under consideration for the Wagner job. At that point, he was a successful high school coach with some college experience at Rutgers. King Rice was another candidate up for the job and had a lot more collegiate experience with assistant level jobs at Oregon, Illinois State, Providence and Vanderbilt over a 20 year career or so.

During or after the interview process (I forget), Bob Hurley called up the AD at Wagner and basically said to the guy "Listen, I know you have to go through your process and everything, and that's fine, but if you hire Danny, I promise you, we won't let him fail."

Just thought this was a cool little story that provided a brief look into the support Hurley has and wanted to share. Think it will be very hard for him not to be successful with the people he's surrounded himself with. Very excited to have him (and Bob Sr.) in Storrs.
And King Rice's son played for Bob Hurley's last team at St. Anthony's.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Wow! Havent heard that name in over 20 years. I remember him playing for the heels. Good for him.

He got the Monmouth gig after Danny and has done very well...at this point, I think we've played him a couple of times!

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Bob Hurley and Jim Calhoun are essentially the same guy from different parts of the Northeast, who do not give a damn about their own health because they want to win so freaking bad even if it kills them.

Reaction Score
He got the Monmouth gig after Danny and has done very well...at this point, I think we've played him a couple of times!
Probably reading this wrong but Dan never coached at Monmouth. We beat Monmouth in OT last year.

Reaction Score
Bob Hurley and Jim Calhoun are essentially the same guy from different parts of the Northeast, who do not give a damn about their own health because they want to win so freaking bad even if it kills them.
It's pretty remarkable Hurley remained a corrections officer and St. Anthony's coach all that time, turning down D1 jobs. He is a man who has always known who he is, he kept that school afloat for decades and has meant more to Jersey City than virtually anyone has meant to their city.

C

Chief00

It's pretty remarkable Hurley remained a corrections officer and St. Anthony's coach all that time, turning down D1 jobs. He is a man who has always known who he is, he kept that school afloat for decades and has meant more to Jersey City than virtually anyone has meant to their city.
Since he was a probation officer, he could make it Hell for some bad dude trying to influence a player to do bad.

Reaction Score

Strong as we are, at times we all need support systems.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Both their wives made them stop coaching haha

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Since he was a probation officer, he could make it Hell for some bad dude trying to influence a player to do bad.

And guide kids back to the right path in order to make something of their lives through basketball.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Heard a story tonight from when he was first under consideration for the Wagner job. At that point, he was a successful high school coach with some college withexperience at Rutgers. King Rice was another candidate up for the job and had a lot more collegiate experience with assistant level jobs at Oregon, Illinois State, Providence and Vanderbilt over a 20 year career or so.

Met Bob,Sr. and wife at the Cuse game. Super nice people who are thrilled about the reception Dan is getting at UConn.

Reaction Score
Met Bob,Sr. and wife at the Cuse game. Super nice people who are thrilled about the reception Dan is getting at UConn.

I met Bob, Sr and Mrs. Hurley at Mohegan games this past Sunday. They get a charge out of being recognized and they really are responding to UConn fans. He's very approachable. We talked about a few things, including the book about him and his St. Anthony"s program. Really down to earth.

Reaction Score
I met Bob, Sr and Mrs. Hurley at Mohegan games this past Sunday. They get a charge out of being recognized and they really are responding to UConn fans. He's very approachable. We talked about a few things, including the book about him and his St. Anthony"s program. Really down to earth.
What’s the name of the book? I could use a good read.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
What’s the name of the book? I could use a good read.

The Miracle of St. Anthony: A Season with Coach Bob Hurley and Basketball's Most Improbable Dynasty by Adrian Wojnarowski

I already ordered a copy.

1542990187048.png

Reaction Score
There is a showtime series about Bob Hurley and St. Anthony's in their final season, all the episodes are uploaded on youtube. It's definitely worth a watch.

Reaction Score
There is a showtime series about Bob Hurley and St. Anthony's in their final season, all the episodes are uploaded on youtube. It's definitely worth a watch.

Agreed! After having read the book, I watched every episode.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Link for the lazy and/or challenged?

Reaction Score
I Agree with others here. I read the St Anthony’s book years ago. VERY good book and would encourage you to give it a look.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom