Dan Hurley would be a recruiting force at UConn or Pitt | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley would be a recruiting force at UConn or Pitt

Reaction Score
Yeah I know just what we need, another Dan Hurley post. Figured this article deserved it's own thread instead of buried in the 58 page (and counting) Hurley thread.

“I think what separates him from a lot of coaches is I don’t think he goes after the ranked kids, I think he goes after the kids he wants,” he said. “The kids that fit his system and the kids that he wants to get, and then winds up going all in on the kid and he winds up getting them.”

Music to my ears. You can still go after ranked kids but you need to recruit to your style and a temperament and work ethic that gives more chance for the kid to be successful. It never seemed that Ollie had a plan when he recruited.

Dan Hurley would be a recruiting force at UConn or Pitt, college, high school and AAU coaches say | Zagsblog

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Yeah I know just what we need, another Dan Hurley post. Figured this article deserved it's own thread instead of buried in the 58 page (and counting) Hurley thread.

“I think what separates him from a lot of coaches is I don’t think he goes after the ranked kids, I think he goes after the kids he wants,” he said. “The kids that fit his system and the kids that he wants to get, and then winds up going all in on the kid and he winds up getting them.”

Music to my ears. You can still go after ranked kids but you need to recruit to your style and a temperament and work ethic that gives more chance for the kid to be successful. It never seemed that Ollie had a plan when he recruited.

Dan Hurley would be a recruiting force at UConn or Pitt, college, high school and AAU coaches say | Zagsblog

Lot of good stuff in there. The one bummer, which we already knew, but still sucks to see in print:

“Well, everywhere he’s been, he’s proven that he can recruit for that level,” Chavannes said. “I still think that that conference [the AAC] is a problem when I listen to my kids and the other kids talk. They’re not very complimentary about the conference, so I think that’s going to be a big stumbling block to get over. But he’s done it everywhere he’s been.”

Reaction Score
Kinda like what Martin did with better results playing better competition.

I think Hurley will be able to recruit on a level necessary to win big.

Do you have confidence in his actual coaching ability? I mean URI finished a pedestrian 52 in KP ranking with 5 seniors. Several 4* players. Three to be exact. Davidson was 43 KP.

Reaction Score
Lot of good stuff in there. The one bummer, which we already knew, but still sucks to see in print:

“Well, everywhere he’s been, he’s proven that he can recruit for that level,” Chavannes said. “I still think that that conference [the AAC] is a problem when I listen to my kids and the other kids talk. They’re not very complimentary about the conference, so I think that’s going to be a big stumbling block to get over. But he’s done it everywhere he’s been.”
Yeah, it's why it would have been nice if the Houston kid hit his FTs, so more people would have seen Gray, or if Cincy didn't choke, or SMU wasn't banned. Other than the first year, the very best teams and players have been fun--and often quite good--but their their own choking, or through, bad luck, they haven't been able to really showcase themselves when people are watching.

Hopefully that changes soon.

Reaction Score

If Ollie can pull a national recruiting class so will Hurley in the AAC.

You will also get an upgrade from the post championship KO as it relates to coaching. The problem is that bar is so low it could be met by Kevin Stallings.

Reaction Score
He has a formula sorta like a HOF coach we all know.

Dan Hurley's formula to success:

maxresdefault.jpg

Cheifster you really love Hurley huh?

Its all good its all good...

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If Ollie can pull a national recruiting class so will Hurley in the AAC.
You will also get an upgrade from the post championship KO as it relates to coaching. The problem is that bar is so low it could be met by Kevin Stallings.

Sent you a PM by the way.

C

Chief00

Careful Chief, you’re on thin ice here.
We are in uncharted territory - theoretically under one scheme we may have two head MBB coaches at the same time. Tbere’s a jump ball for $10 million. Anyone, who thinks these aren’t the type of issues which start down the litigation path are kidding themselves.

Reaction Score
The thing im really wondering is it looks like one and done is about done. The NBA is going to allow the high school elites to come straight into the league while college commits will have to do two years of college. This imho is a system that would seem to fit what Hurley does and he could be quite successful at it. I really hope that happens as i think it really helps the NBA and the college game. It probably quiets the chorus a bit for paying the college kids too which im sure the nc double love.

Reaction Score
Ollie recruited based on his NBA credentials. That's how he attracted a top five class.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The thing im really wondering is it looks like one and done is about done. The NBA is going to allow the high school elites to come straight into the league while college commits will have to do two years of college. This imho is a system that would seem to fit what Hurley does and he could be quite successful at it. I really hope that happens as i think it really helps the NBA and the college game. It probably quiets the chorus a bit for paying the college kids too which im sure the nc double love.

Absolutely.

Look at that Tennessee/Loyola game.

No real NBA star guys there. And it was just a fantastic college basketball game.

We might actually see more of that if the NBA can get a real minor league system going and remove the stupid age rule.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score

THIS:
Christ the King coach Joe Arbitello concurred, saying Hurley would be especially dangerous at UConn.
“I think that he’ll do very well in that league [AAC],” Arbitello said. “He’ll be right up there with Cincinnati year in and year out.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom