Dan Hurley pre Georgetown game media availability | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley pre Georgetown game media availability

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Hurley says here that he thinks we’re the only team in the country with 3 players averaging 14 or more. Is that true?

Reaction Score
Hurley brings up rebounding several times as the defensive area that needs the most work. He also mentions 3-point defense. I found that interesting since neither of those things jumped out at me as being particularly problematic. From watching games it seemed that they're struggling to stop the dribble drive resulting in baskets or lots of fouls.

Reaction Score
Hurley brings up rebounding several times as the defensive area that needs the most work. He also mentions 3-point defense. I found that interesting since neither of those things jumped out at me as being particularly problematic. From watching games it seemed that they're struggling to stop the dribble drive resulting in baskets or lots of fouls.
Maybe he's trying to head fake upcoming opponents coaches, lol.

Reaction Score
It’s defensive rebounding he’s referring to. This is pretty squarely on Whaley who plays 60% of the game and has a 10.8% DREB% which is in Gaffney/Hawkins/Cole tier. Whaley blocks shots but has largely abandoned the physical play we got used to seeing from him. He was never a great defensive rebounder but 18% should be doable. Whaley hustles, so I think a lot of this is due to the imperfect fit playing alongside Sanogo.

Despite his deficiency rebounding, the defense is still noticeably better with him on the floor than Akok who rebounds at a higher rate on that end.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Really such an underrated luxury to have so many guys who can step up on any given night and lead the team in scoring. Reduces the reliance on just “the guy”, who can sometimes have off nights.

Still need to have “the guy” (whoever it will be - most likely Cole and/or Sanogo) step up in the tourney, but the fact that there are so many other pieces will make our team really tough to plan for in a quick turn around setting.

UconnU

Reaction Score
It’s defensive rebounding he’s referring to. This is pretty squarely on Whaley who plays 60% of the game and has a 10.8% DREB% which is in Gaffney/Hawkins/Cole tier. Whaley blocks shots but has largely abandoned the physical play we got used to seeing from him. He was never a great defensive rebounder but 18% should be doable. Whaley hustles, so I think a lot of this is due to the imperfect fit playing alongside Sanogo.

Despite his deficiency rebounding, the defense is still noticeably better with him on the floor than Akok who rebounds at a higher rate on that end.
You either block shots or you defensive rebound it’s impossible to do both well. Auburn blocks a ton of shots and struggles with defensive rebounds as well. Some teams, like Villanova, don’t even bother trying to block shots they’d rather box out and grab rebounds. Whaley seems to have one gear, contest everything.

I’d love to see some kind of breakdown on Whaley’s play with a large crowd vs without. I’ve never seen a player feed off the crowd as much as he does.

Reaction Score
Pretty impressive to have this kind of depth despite getting virtually nothing from the freshmen.

UconnU

Reaction Score
Pretty impressive to have this kind of depth despite getting virtually nothing from the freshmen.
Seems to be a NCAA wide trend this year where a lot of freshman are behind the 8 ball. Probably a combination of playing against a bunch of 5th and 6th year guys and covid slowing their development in high school.

Reaction Score
I think Hurley's focus on defending the 3 and defensive rebounding might be coming from scouting G'town. They have a couple of 40% 3-point shooters and lead the BE in offensive rebounding.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Hurley seems to have a 3 point phobia. He seems to think every made 3 against UConn is a crime against humanity and is the fault of bad defense. Really seems like lots of 3s get made against this team while well defended. His focus on the 3s is why we keep getting killed on dribble penetration.

Reaction Score
Hurley seems to have a 3 point phobia. He seems to think every made 3 against UConn is a crime against humanity and is the fault of bad defense. Really seems like lots of 3s get made against this team while well defended. His focus on the 3s is why we keep getting killed on dribble penetration.
Except we don't get killed by dribble penetration, the defense funnels people into the paint because we have such good shot blockers. We're 4th in the country in 2P FG% defense, and 22nd in FG% defense at the rim

Reaction Score
Actually, tonight, especially, that's not bad to have as a focus. Georgetown is excellent at shooting 3's but pretty bad inside the arc.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Agreed. Far too often we somehow give up wide open unabated drives to the hoop. More rare that we give up a wide open three

UconnU

Reaction Score
I think Hurley's focus on defending the 3 and defensive rebounding might be coming from scouting G'town. They have a couple of 40% 3-point shooters and lead the BE in offensive rebounding.
We don’t lead the Big East in offensive rebounding? What the hell.
Yea 3 point defense doesn’t seem like a particular weak area to me. Teams are shooting a lot of 3s because they can’t get looks inside. If we defend any harder we’re going to foul. Strange qualm. I’m more concerned with our half court execution.

Reaction Score
You either block shots or you defensive rebound it’s impossible to do both well. Auburn blocks a ton of shots and struggles with defensive rebounds as well. Some teams, like Villanova, don’t even bother trying to block shots they’d rather box out and grab rebounds. Whaley seems to have one gear, contest everything.

I’d love to see some kind of breakdown on Whaley’s play with a large crowd vs without. I’ve never seen a player feed off the crowd as much as he does.
Although he was DPOY during a season of empty/near empty arenas.

Reaction Score
Almost a year late but Why did Wahab transfer? He seemed to be developing very well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom