Dan Hurley, Penny Hardaway bring AAC some much-needed buzz | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley, Penny Hardaway bring AAC some much-needed buzz

Reaction Score
From David Borges at the New Haven Register.

“Wichita State, Cincinnati, SMU, Houston — they’re all succeeding programs right now,” the new UConn coach noted. “The league is in good shape. With the history and tradition at UConn and Memphis, it’s critical for the growth of the league and ascension of the conference for us to hold up our end of the bargain and be the UConn and Memphis that have existed in college basketball.”

“I don’t think it’s important — I think it’s critical,” added UConn athletic director David Benedict. “For us to be a nationally-relevant league, taking nothing away from the teams that have established themselves, Memphis and UConn have to be name brands with national appeal.”

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
But there have been several six-figure gifts from donors over the past few months, mainly to help improve the Werth Family Champions Center, the practice facility that needs a lot of work on its locker rooms, weight room and other infrastructure.

Huh? It's brandy new (practically). Anyone know what the issues are? In any event, it's good to see money coming in.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
But there have been several six-figure gifts from donors over the past few months, mainly to help improve the Werth Family Champions Center, the practice facility that needs a lot of work on its locker rooms, weight room and other infrastructure.

Huh? It's brandy new (practically). Anyone know what the issues are? In any event, it's good to see money coming in.
Maybe it degraded from lack of use?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Because it keeps getting compared to things like this. The Alabama dining room is nice than our new practice facility.

Reaction Score

it was never completed. UCONN was offering naming rights to donors to finish off the interiors.

CL82

Reaction Score
Because it keeps getting compared to things like this. The Alabama dining room is nice than our new practice facility.

Styrofoam plates... pssht.

CL82

Reaction Score
it was never completed. UCONN was offering naming rights to donors to finish off the interiors.
Looks pretty finished.

Reaction Score
Are you sure they didn't finish it and were
waiting for donations, or did they finish and then offer naming rights to pay it off?

CL82

Reaction Score
Well now they wouldn't show the unfinished parts on video, would they?
You're right the dining hall and pool deck are completely missing from the video!

Reaction Score
From David Borges at the New Haven Register.

“Wichita State, Cincinnati, SMU, Houston — they’re all succeeding programs right now,” the new UConn coach noted. “The league is in good shape. With the history and tradition at UConn and Memphis, it’s critical for the growth of the league and ascension of the conference for us to hold up our end of the bargain and be the UConn and Memphis that have existed in college basketball.”

“I don’t think it’s important — I think it’s critical,” added UConn athletic director David Benedict. “For us to be a nationally-relevant league, taking nothing away from the teams that have established themselves, Memphis and UConn have to be name brands with national appeal.”

Will we please stop putting ourselves in the same breath as Memphis, Wichita State, Cincinnati, SMU and Houston. We are UCONN and we have FOUR national championships!! We should be mentioned in the same breath as Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, it's like we have an inferiority complex. Man, the last 2 years have done a lot of freakin damage!!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Will we please stop putting ourselves in the same breath as Memphis, Wichita State, Cincinnati, SMU and Houston. We are UCONN and we have FOUR national championships!! We should be mentioned in the same breath as Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, it's like we have an inferiority complex. Man, the last 2 years have done a lot of freakin damage!!
I hear you and that is always my first reaction. Then I remember that, for better or worse, these are our conference mates, and we have yet to win the conference. And most of them have been beating the stuffing out of us.

Reaction Score

Anyone know if @Chief00 is still "off the circuit"? He would definitely know the details of this, right?

Reaction Score
Anyone know if @Chief00 is still "off the circuit"? He would definitely know the details of this, right?

Chief is always watching.

64EE2DF6-74C9-4F9D-BC9A-C598D6EB30AF.gif

Reaction Score

Comparing any basketball facility (including the NBA) to Bama's football facility will leave the BB facility wanting.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Conference realignment has forced us into this position. Do you really think we WANT to be associating ourselves with this group of second-tiers?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Are you sure they didn't finish it and were
waiting for donations, or did they finish and then offer naming rights to pay it off?
“The Kevin Ollie Relaxation Station”

Reaction Score
Looks pretty finished.

The opening lobby is going to become a trophy room/hall of fame sort of area, will also be at least part-time open to the public. There were plans for more TVs throughout that were delayed, for example at :55 each of the white posters was covering a hole in the wall already run with electricity for a TV to be mounted. The teams shared a GUN shooting machine so they probably wanted at least one more of those. The only other thing I could imagine using significant spending to improve on would be the dining area, but there was never a plan to build out a real kitchen or anything. Although this info is all a year old

CL82

Reaction Score
The opening lobby is going to become a trophy room/hall of fame sort of area, will also be at least part-time open to the public. There were plans for more TVs throughout that were delayed, for example at :55 each of the white posters was covering a hole in the wall already run with electricity for a TV to be mounted. The teams shared a GUN shooting machine so they probably wanted at least one more of those. The only other thing I could imagine using significant spending to improve on would be the dining area, but there was never a plan to build out a real kitchen or anything. Although this info is all a year old
I remember the museum thing. I was disappointed that that didn't happen.

Reaction Score

They had to share a "The Gun"?? We should have a dozen of those.

Well, they're like 10,000$ I think. So maybe 3 or 4. But seriously, those are invaluable in improving shooting.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Comparing any basketball facility (including the NBA) to Bama's football facility will leave the BB facility wanting.

That's not even their main football facility.

It's solely their 'nutrition facility'. :eek:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom