Dan Hurley on practice | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley on practice

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley picks up some pointers after watching Boston Celtics, UConn women’s basketball team practices
Prior to the festivities, Hurley praised the recent play of Sid Wilson, Christian Vital, Jalen Adams and Alterique Gilbert.

“Sid has been tremendous the last couple of practices. He’s really taken it up a notch. That’s a talented guy who can bring a lot to the program. I like the adjustments that Christian’s been making — his shot selection, his willingness to share the ball. He’s a guy that’s really matured. And I like Jalen’s approach, and Al.”

Reaction Score
Look out for Sid. Going to be a big part of our success this year. Glad to hear that Vital is growing as a player, he was starting to develop a little pull up shot last year, and I'm sure with Hurley's coaching he'll be a much better team player.

Reaction Score
Seems like Hurley reads the Yard. Answered major questions of the last week.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There’s no way we’re not winning the AAC & making the sweet 16 this year!!!
That would be deeply disappointing
Didn’t say thats *all* we’ll do...

Left door open for FF & NC ;)
1539443504110.png

Doomed.

Attachments

• 1539443475006.png
    1539443475006.png
    158.3 KB · Views: 23
Reaction Score
Talk about no surprises. The four guys Hurley most likes after early practices are (1) the two high scorers from last year's team; (2) the McD All-American; and (3) the only 4-star in last year's recruiting class.

Don't get me wrong. Delighted that class is exerting itself. As every horse player knows, "class" is a lot more dependable than "improvement." Would be nice to see improved play from Polley, Whaley et al, but nice if we don't have to depend on it. Still, the desirability of going small at the wings makes it crucial that Cobb or Carlton show real "improvement" at the 5. Cobb as a rebounder becomes especially important.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Talk about no surprises. The four guys Hurley most likes after early practices are (1) the two high scorers from last year's team; (2) the McD All-American; and (3) the only 4-star in last year's recruiting class.

Don't get me wrong. Delighted that class is exerting itself. As every horse player knows, "class" is a lot more dependable than "improvement." Would be nice to see improved play from Polley, Whaley et al, but nice if we don't have to depend on it. Still, the desirability of going small at the wings makes it crucial that Cobb or Carlton show real "improvement" at the 5. Cobb as a rebounder becomes especially important.

First time he's ever really mentioned Sid tho. Good to hear.

Reaction Score
Our team needs a pleasant surprise this year. Don’t know (and no one does know) who brings it or if it will come but it’s needed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
First time he's ever really mentioned Sid tho. Good to hear.
I think there's a method to his madness.

Someone noted that there why no Sid talk chatter on the board last week. Coincidence that he mentioned him now? Maybe, we just don't know Hurley's MO yet. Still I get the sense he's not an off the cuff guy, though he acts like it. I suspect that his quotes are mostly for player consumption but he throws a bone or two to fans as well.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

Someone noted that there why no Sid talk chatter on the board last week. Coincidence that he mentioned him now? Maybe, we just don't know Hurley's MO yet. Still I get the sense he's not an off the cuff guy, those he acts like it. I suspect that his quotes are mostly for player consumption but he throws a bone or two to fans as well.

He’s so like Calhoun - Remember the nobody is talking about you button pusher to Daniels before the FL game?

Reaction Score

Hope we get some Oriakhi out of Cobb.

Reaction Score

Someone noted that there why no Sid talk chatter on the board last week. Coincidence that he mentioned him now? Maybe, we just don't know Hurley's MO yet. Still I get the sense he's not an off the cuff guy, though he acts like it. I suspect that his quotes are mostly for player consumption but he throws a bone or two to fans as well.

I think you summed it up pretty well. His expectations are clearly expressed to his guys. They know exactly what he wants from them- he’s not delusional, but he will push them incredibly hard. One of his URI guys, who absolutely loved him as a coach, said it best when he joked that you want to do well, just so he’ll shut up! When Hurley publicly gives some praise on the record, it means they’re meeting those expectations.

Reaction Score
I don't put too much value on preseason coaches comments. JC was the biggest preseason liar of all time. Remember Justin Brown? He used his comments to motivate and manipulate and I'm sure JC wasn't unique. So while Hurley's comments are positive, take them with a grain of salt.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom