Dan Hurley on his $50M deal, not being a ‘bozo coach,’ and the big black truck behind UConn’s titles (Mike Anthony) | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley on his $50M deal, not being a ‘bozo coach,’ and the big black truck behind UConn’s titles (Mike Anthony)

Reaction Score
The truck/vehicle stuff is worth the read alone:

Assisted access <<

-> “The success, what I have now, stature-wise and financially, that's just a byproduct of every single day trying to run a championship organization and every single day trying to get better as a coach — just every aspect of it, chasing it, pursuing it,” Hurley said. “Everything else is just a byproduct of that. I was never chasing this.” <-

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Excellent read.

Every time we get a chance to glance into Coach Hurley's head, it's fascinating. Man, he's got some issues, but he uses those issues to motivate himself. You can definitely see why his guys love him.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
He seems to have catapulted out of that team slump in early '23 to a transformational awakening. Everything has changed for him the staff and the team. Basketball Moses. Keep going DH.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
People were saying the Lakers gig wasn't about the money, and it sure seems like it wasn't about the money. For some people it's never enough, but this whole article is about how he hasn't forgotten where's been and how appreciative he is of how life has worked out (through his own hard work, of course).

Great article but this sentence needed an editor's touch:

“It sounds boring, but part of me is just still bothered — I don't want to say haunted — by a playing career that was unfulfilling to me,” said Hurley, the son of a basketball legend, the younger brother of one of the best point guards in college history, probably the famed family's most demonstrative member but, until now, its most overlooked.

awy

Reaction Score
the money is more of a respect/status thing, but he's climbing basketball legacy peaks.

Reaction Score
The truck is nice. I like the Bronco Raptor. bad *ss

as9srrn5.jpg

Reaction Score
Good article. I remember shortly after the national championship this year someone started a thread that they were concerned Hurley might get complacent after the 2nd championship. I responded that I didn't think so because he's just not wired that way. This article illustrates why.

I think all the longest UConn articles I've ever read are from Mike Anthony. Does he get paid by the word? Lol

Reaction Score
Awesome article. I find it funny and not surprising that he’s superstitious about his truck making him a better coach lol

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I’m almost finished with Woj’s book on Bob Sr…it’s written when Danny is coaching at Benedict’s, and goes into plenty that gives the reader an idea where Danny gets these mindsets from.

Coaching kids how to play and how to LIVE is what makes that family tick, NOT dollars.

Also, the idea of not seeing results until years later, and understanding that value, is critical.

Reaction Score
Good article. I remember shortly after the national championship this year someone started a thread that they were concerned Hurley might get complacent after the 2nd championship. I responded that I didn't think so because he's just not wired that way. This article illustrates why.

I think all the longest UConn articles I've ever read are from Mike Anthony. Does he get paid by the word? Lol
I couldn’t find the thread before but did finally find it.

Reaction Score
During the darkest hours in program history 6 plus years ago, nobody could have ever dreamed this big, this soon. Stunningly great job by Coach Hurley. Simply amazing.
I honestly thought he`d have us in contention for a run by his 4th year and there after we`d be title contenders but NOW WAY did i see dominant back to back title runs with the program being head and shoulders above the rest in the country with a coach that everyone college or pro wants. Never. Never imagined this program would be where it is. This is utterly insane. I said it before the season that its all gravy this season no matter what happens because we had our title run but as the season went on i was thinking "this is crazy! They cant blow the tournament away again can they?" And they did just that and looked even better this season doing it.

Reaction Score

It will be interesting to watch Hurley over the next few years. Will he be Coach K and win more titles or will he be Donovan, who continued to be good, but never one another championship, I think only made 1 more Final Four.

The other thing to watch is how many other coaches adopt his style of play. It was clearly confounding to a lot of opponents. But coaches are mostly copycats. Expect to see lots of teams play variations of our offense over the next few years. Heck, Hurley basically borrowed from Jay Wrght.

Reaction Score

Hes so shrewd im really starting to wonder if he had no intention of leaving and he simply used this opportunity to draw more attention and hype to Uconn. If he did hes an absolute genius and its working. I started thinking this might be a possibility because of the things he was saying in his recent interview. Sounded a lot like a guy who wants to be here for a long, long time.

Reaction Score
It was to Hurleys benefit and to the LeBron’s, I mean Lakers, for him to go there. The Lakers had no intention of hiring Hurley. They wanted Reddick but we’re getting beat up in the LA media. I think they reached out to Hurley thinking he’d say no thanks. When he didn’t they. Had to go through the charade. They’d have been somewhat disappointed if they got him. It was good for both sides. Can you imagine Hurley flipping out because LaBron wants to shoot it rather that make the extra pass to Davis? LOL

Reaction Score
It feels good to be in such great hands and have a fantastic person -family man-leading the program. He has a perfect personality for UCONN as we tend to love our men's coaches that have an edge ( I prefer a few swear words thrown in a sentence).
It's so nice to sit back waiting for the Olympics to start in this sports purgatory summer period- and be a fan of the most interesting program in the country.
Hope everyone is enjoying it as much as I am.

Reaction Score
It was to Hurleys benefit and to the LeBron’s, I mean Lakers, for him to go there. The Lakers had no intention of hiring Hurley. They wanted Reddick but we’re getting beat up in the LA media. I think they reached out to Hurley thinking he’d say no thanks. When he didn’t they. Had to go through the charade. They’d have been somewhat disappointed if they got him. It was good for both sides. Can you imagine Hurley flipping out because LaBron wants to shoot it rather that make the extra pass to Davis? LOL
Was it the Lakers that pushed the narrative that they were going to make a massive offer that Danny could not refuse?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom