Dan Hurley Interview with Borges | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley Interview with Borges

Reaction Score
I love the story about Hurley getting ejected from a closed-door scrimmage. I had never heard that one before but it’s hilarious

Reaction Score
Interesting nuggets (paraphrases)...
  • Luke Murray has a photographic-like memory for AAU players and coaches.
  • Isaiah needs to make at least 30 3's this year.
  • Hawkins' footwork off screens and shot mechanics are high level. Potential to be great in the future.
  • Dan loves the Cinemax show Banshee.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Love Hurley as our coach, but his monotone delivery kills me every time.

Some Notes:
Gaffney - has the talent needs consistency if he want to go from 6th man to starter.

Analytics - Hurley getting more into the analytics recently, but RJ Cole has a good mid-range game, but he's been on the guys about shot selection and not taking the "tough two." Hurley got an analytics company referral from Nate Oats. Hurley used it to analyze transfers both in and out. It's a tool.

Portal - We kicked the tires on some guys while Polley was undecided. Staff made some initial calls, but Hurley didn't speak with them. It didn't "line up" with current team versus transfers he was comfortable bringing (i.e., not an upgrade.) But he's okay with doing it if it makes sense.

Style of Play - Not going to be anywhere near the same focus on perimeter game. Adama will be a focus point. Will play big at 4-5
Adama/Whaley, Adama/Akok, Adama/Samson (Note the reoccuring theme. Whaley will back up Sanogo. Can play four out with Polley or Martin at the four and Whaley at five. Can play skill line up or big line up. If playing big less dribbling, better screens.

Last year - Too much deferral to Bouk.

Murray - Bring value both recruiting and as a coach. Brilliant mind. Constantly brings ideas, some right for the team, some not.

Front Court - Could be (and should be) on of the best in the nation. Adama has established as low post scorer. IW has to make 30 years. Akok needs establish shooting so people guard him. "If we are going to struggle guarding guys at the arc need to punish them in the paint for making us chase them around." Samson has wall potential, just needs to eliminate freshmen mistakes. IW could be on the best 4/5 swingmen if he makes his threes. Was a little cryptic about Akok. Springs - "could play this year."

Hawkins looks pretty good. First round NBA draft potential. High level getting into shot, good footwork, but needs to get sturdier, better ball security, needs to play defense. Has a chance to be a huge factor this year. Interviewer mentioned mole on the staff praised Hawkins. Hurley said as soon as he gets back he'll root him out... only half joking imo.

Miscellaneous
  • Wife thinks DH is like is Larry David because he lives by a weird code.
  • Football will get reestablished, but UConn is a basketball school.
  • Two scrimmages against really high level teams. He's lost a lot (4-12), but he doesn't run a lot in (because he doesn't want sets leaking out.) Other coaches, might take it a little more seriously. But he did flip out on a official one time. John Gwynn (!) tried to make peace, but Hurley wasn't having it. They threatened to throw him out but it was his gym and a scrimmage and he refused to leave. "There was no security to make me leave so it was an empty threat."

Reaction Score
Will play big at 4-5 Adama/Whaley, Adama/Akok, Adama/Samson (Note the reoccuring theme. Whaley will back up Sanogo. Can play four out with Polley or Martin at the four and Whaley at five. Can play skill line up or big line up. If playing big less dribbling, better screens.

Hawkins good footwork, but needs to get sturdier, better ball security, needs to play defense.
1- This puts a lot of pressure on Adama to cut down on fouls. He can't get this much time with other players if he's on the bench.

2- Whenever I hear a coach harping on a player to play better defense, it's code for --this dude is a great offensive player.

Reaction Score
Analytics - Hurley getting more into the analytics recently, but RJ Cole has a good mid-range game, but he's been on the guys about shot selection and not taking the "tough two." Hurley got an analytics company referral from Nate Oats. Hurley used it to analyze transfers both in and out. It's a tool.
Love this
I think this was the company that UConn Blog reported last year that they were using, ShotQuality.

Reaction Score
I think this was the company that UConn Blog reported last year that they were using, ShotQuality.
think Hurley may have been talking about HD Intelligence

From their About Page:
HD Intelligence was founded in April 2019 with the mission of bringing NBA-level analytics to college basketball. Drawing on our founders’ experience and expertise, HDI helps teams succeed through the practical application of insights gained from data analysis. Although our company is built on the power of statistics, we believe that strong personal relationships are the hallmark of any successful enterprise. We view each program we work with as a unique client with unique needs, and our hands on, customized approach to each client reflects that mindset.

Reaction Score
Front Court - Could be (and should be) on of the best in the nation. Adama has established as low post scorer. IW has to make 30 years. Akok needs establish shooting so people guard him. "If we are going to struggle guarding guys at the arc need to punish them in the paint for making us chase them around." Samson has wall potential, just needs to eliminate freshmen mistakes. IW could be on the best 4/5 swingmen if he makes his threes. Was a little cryptic about Akok. Springs - "could play this year."

Hawkins looks pretty good. First round NBA draft potential. High level getting into shot, good footwork, but needs to get sturdier, better ball security, needs to play defense. Has a chance to be a huge factor this year. Interviewer mentioned mole on the staff praised Hawkins. Hurley said as soon as he gets back he'll root him out... only half joking imo.

This is the part that gets me. He's cryptic about Akok... it could go either way. My gut is just telling me we aren't ever going to see the star we hoped for because of this tragic injury. But I'm excited about Johnson. I had figured he would be deep on the bench this year because he was so raw. He must be developing at an astronomical rate to get this praise.

Hawkins's defense will be fine. He just needs time. He's a high effort guy, but he'll need to learn the system. His handles and passing are his biggest weaknesses IMO.

Reaction Score
Or is just code for "I want him to actually play defense"? It probably wasn't a huge emphasis in high school.
No, it's not code for that. That's exactly what he saying.

But coaches usually say that about players who already have great offensive gifts.

What's not to understand?

CL82

Reaction Score
No, it's not code for that. That's exactly what he saying.

But coaches usually say that about players who already have great offensive gifts.

What's not to understand?
Exactly, it's not "code" for anything. That was my point.

Reaction Score
Interesting nuggets (paraphrases)...
  • Luke Murray has a photographic-like memory for AAU players and coaches.
  • Isaiah needs to make at least 30 3's this year.
  • Hawkins' footwork off screens and shot mechanics are high level. Potential to be great in the future.
  • Dan loves the Cinemax show Banshee.
If IW makes 30 threes in 80 or less shots and he isn’t drafted the NBA needs some new scouts.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Love that he reached out to Oats.

Like the idea of staggering Whaley and Sanogo after the tip. At least until Whaley proves he can shoot like that, leaves plenty of minutes for Akok/Samson/Richie to earn.

I really hope he doesn't pull a Bouknight with Hawkins again. Let him play through mistakes in the early season games we won't lose regardless. It's beyond clear he'll need to play consistently to reach our offensive ceiling.

Sounds like Sool and Corey are basically red shirts at this point. He hasn't talked about either all off season. Gaffneys ability to backup Cole is gonna be crucial, if this is the case.

Reaction Score
Love that he reached out to Oats.

Like the idea of staggering Whaley and Sanogo after the tip. At least until Whaley proves he can shoot like that, leaves plenty of minutes for Akok/Samson/Richie to earn.

I really hope he doesn't pull a Bouknight with Hawkins again. Let him play through mistakes in the early season games we won't lose regardless. It's beyond clear he'll need to play consistently to reach our offensive ceiling.

Sounds like Sool and Corey are basically red shirts at this point. He hasn't talked about either all off season. Gaffneys ability to backup Cole is gonna be crucial, if this is the case.
I don't understand the Bouknight comment. He sat the first 3 games for the car thing but still had the 3rd most minutes on the team freshman year.

Reaction Score
I don't understand the Bouknight comment. He sat the first 3 games for the car thing but still had the 3rd most minutes on the team freshman year.
Yeah, but if I remember correctly his minutes really took off after Polley tore is ACL and bouk finally cracked the starting lineup.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He came off the bench until Polley got hurt. We all knew that shouldn't have been the case well before that.

Reaction Score
He came off the bench until Polley got hurt. We all knew that shouldn't have been the case well before that.
Yeah he averaged 18 minutes a game in the nonconference and 30 minutes a game in conference season.

CL82

Reaction Score
You missed the point entirely.
Yep, unless the point was
  • "It's code"
  • "It's not code"
  • "It is code, but you just missed it."
Because then I guess I got it, such as it was.

Reaction Score
Dan and Nate are close, probably one of his best friends in the college coaching business (next to his brother, obviously). He got Nate into the college game, and they’ve helped each other out a lot over the years.
They scrimmaged when Dan was at Rhody and Nate was at Buffalo...it actually went to OT

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom