Dan Hurley hopeful UConn men’s basketball team will solve issues that have prevented the Huskies from closing out close games | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley hopeful UConn men’s basketball team will solve issues that have prevented the Huskies from closing out close games

Reaction Score

Perhaps the Huskies’ biggest problem has been the lack of ballhandlers outside of guard R.J. Cole. When Cole fouled out with 2:19 to go in overtime in the Seton Hall game, UConn’s offense committed multiple mistakes leading to either bad shots or turnovers.

“We are going to have to find a guy that can win one-on-one situations at the end of a big-time game. Be it R.J., obviously he had fouled out. We are going to have to find somebody else that can get the ball in their hands late that can just break down the defense and go make a play.”

Reaction Score

Perhaps the Huskies’ biggest problem has been the lack of ballhandlers outside of guard R.J. Cole. When Cole fouled out with 2:19 to go in overtime in the Seton Hall game, UConn’s offense committed multiple mistakes leading to either bad shots or turnovers.

“We are going to have to find a guy that can win one-on-one situations at the end of a big-time game. Be it R.J., obviously he had fouled out. We are going to have to find somebody else that can get the ball in their hands late that can just break down the defense and go make a play.”
Holy troubling Batman.......does he expect this guy to just materialize overnight?? He gets more puzzling with each passing day.....

Reaction Score
Hawkins can be that guy with more pt. I believe it, he needs to learn how to play through contact

Curiouser
Reaction Score
morgan freeman quote GIF

Reaction Score

At least he knows. That is exactly why weve been having so much trouble in high pressure situations. Martin is the only one who believes in himself enough to get it done, it’s just he’s not that great at it and he isn’t the best finisher. RJ is an okay option also but he panics when driving. We don’t have that guy. Hawkins is it but isn’t ready.

Reaction Score
The answer to the question "who else can take their man off the dribble" really only has four potential answers.

AJax - most likely to get by his man but then immediately looks to pass, isn't comfortable shooting and sometimes makes poor decisions at the rim.
Gaffney - can sometimes get by his man but his finishing is all over the place
Martin - happens sometimes but not great handles. really depends on the matchup
Hawkins - seems to have hands like feet. sometimes bobbles cleanly caught balls, has lost total confidence in his own handles

I think the answer here isn't "who's the next man up" but "how does Hurley scheme around this as best he can" at this point. We're not finding a secondary guy like a Boatright this year. That means our offensive sets can't start out with 15 seconds of pointless dribbling and pathetic weaves outside the three point line. We also need the four above to start cutting/moving better off the ball.

This team's ceiling is hugely capped by this problem, just hoping it gets sorted out somehow before next season.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Hurley planning on resigning? Judge and Hurley gone in the same day? I kid I kid. Hurley is our best option as coach/recruiter and I’m glad he’s leading UConn. I’m hopeful that Hurley will get better at his in-game coaching as the years progress.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Exactly why I don’t get excited for our program when a player goes NBA after just a year or two. Bouknight would make this group a lot different l, make Cole’s and Hurley’s jobs simpler, and it’s impossible to know how a freshman can perform. I know, you play with what you got, but you can’t simply create a skill a player doesn’t have in a go to situation. If Hurley lets Hawkins play longer stretches, will fans whine As we all know, Jackson was supposedly that guy and he just isn’t a reliable option to score.

Watching Baylor at home vs. TT. TT just threw the ball away on an inbounds play. with a 3 point lead and 36 seconds left. Bad coaching. ;) Lead now now 1, 20 seconds left. Baylor terrible last possession. Also bad coaching. Amazing one of them won. Joking.

Reaction Score
Hawkins can be that guy with more pt. I believe it, he needs to learn how to play through contact
I’m thinking the same way, but I know many here don’t think he can handle it. He has to have the PT in battle against good competition. we could lose him if he doesn’t get that PT.

Reaction Score
uh, we will be in the transfer portal either way. This team is one 6'3 slashing playmaker from being a problem... shucks why is floyd redshirting
Probably because he doesn't turn 18 for 3 more days. He's a year and a half younger than every other freshman on our roster

Reaction Score
The time to get that guy was before the season started. But Coach was clear he liked our team just the way it was. Not sure why he would keep pointing out something that begs the question.

Reaction Score
While true .. it seems like a fairly narrow view of the entirety of the problem.

Reaction Score
Hope is not a strategy - fans can hope, coaches need to have plans. If there’s not another ball handler then he better figure out a way to do it with schemes that don’t take the clock to two seconds and someone hoists up a prayer

Reaction Score
Probably because he doesn't turn 18 for 3 more days. He's a year and a half younger than every other freshman on our roster

Looked pretty good slicing through our defense in the public scrimmage leading the team in scoring finishing through traffic and breaking down the defense. And coaches raved about him belonging and being physically ready and mentally mature.

I guess the coaching staff just evaluated we just had too many quality guards he'd have to sit behind anyway! No minutes!

Reaction Score
Danny needs to let this kid just play without getting the hook after every mistake, he is killing whatever confidence this kid had and he needs as much of it now more than ever.

Reaction Score
Hawkins definitely needs to bulk up and has not only shown an inability to play through contact but he avoids it which negates his slashing ability in favor of staying on the outside. He also has a weak handle. But, he plays scared and Danny’s handling of him makes that worse in my opinion. AJax can throw away no look passes and stay out there but Hawkins gets pulled after every turnover? I know
we need AJax’s rebounding but if Hawkins could become the scorer we need, how much better would we look?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom