Dan Hurley Coach's Radio Show | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley Coach's Radio Show

Reaction Score
I got a kick out of him saying they are not defending the three point line as good as he had hoped. I've been thinking this season that they are defending the three point line a lot better than the last couple of years. It's all about perspective.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t care if a coach is a mixture of Jim Calhoun, Adolph Rupp and Coach K, no one can win without enough talent. Not being in a game against Duke for URI is no shame. And when a game starts to go out of control players can lose their patience and tighten up. This can easily happen to our team THIS year and probably will at some point. We must not turn on Hurley when and if we hit the skids this season. We are not that talent laden.
Trust me, there are going to be some real turds laid during the season. Already happened once. But, no doubt Hurley will continue to brings these guys along. The difference in intensity, ball movement, player movement and playing with a clear purpose is night and day from last year. He’s the real deal, and this program will be in great shape.

C

Chief00

One thing I like about Hurley that sometimes was a negative for Calhoun is I think JC sometimes couldn’t turn off the coach that he was in practice everyday during game situations. I think with Hurley you see that very clear distinction between practice coach where he will tear guys down and get in their face and game coach where he acts like he’s on the floor going to war with the team. Don’t get me wrong, both can be effective, it’s just a difference between using tactics to scare the crap out of your team and even embarrass them at times by yanking them and getting in their face vs. doing that in practice but then propping your team up on game day. We’ll hopefully get to see which style is most successful (obviously it’s going to be hard for Dan Hurley to surpass JC anytime soon). I think Hurley’s style allows teams to play more loose and less tense. JC’s style worked because he recruited guys who could handle it, but that being said not everyone could deal with his style and not everyone responded well to it

None of this is meant to be negative to JC, that guy is one of the greatest coaches of all time. I just like Hurley’s game day mindset. I’ll also say it’s refreshing to see our coach off the bench and involved in the game rather than sitting in his chair with a stank face.

Quite frankly, Jim Calhoun often was fairly calm and quiet in practice. That doesn’t mean he did not have a motivational (LOL) word now and then or that the practices weren’t hard.
When he got on the sideline during games, he was like a veteran actor on stage when the lights went on. Some people use to think he was like that all the time and he really wasn’t. But, he was always competitive, focused and loved basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom