Dan Hurley Coach's Radio Show | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley Coach's Radio Show

Reaction Score
"I can still grab the rim. Most people don't know that and I've actually, on some recruiting visits, I've bet some recruits that like hey if I can go and grab the rim and pull it down right now off a vertical jump will you commit. And one said he would and he didn't but I'm gonna hold him to it."

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
"I can still grab the rim. Most people don't know that and I've actually, on some recruiting visits, I've bet some recruits that like hey if I can go and grab the rim and pull it down right now off a vertical jump will you commit. And one said he would and he didn't but I'm gonna hold him to it."

The OV’s we’ve had where there was no commit and the recruit still hasn’t committed were:

Akok, Cockburn, Mitchell, and Wahab. So one of those 4 have to be the one he’s talking about.

Reaction Score
I can't tell if he is being "cup half full or cup half empty" here with that quote.

Reaction Score
I could not be more happy and more readily to admit I was wrong in my hesitation on hiring Dan Hurley.

I felt I had legitimate concerns (although as it turns out a couple of outlier samples) about his in-game coaching and overall offensive philosophy. Why? When I watched a few of URI's games last year (3 or 4) and in 2 in particular I was not impressed with their offense nor their intensity - their game against Duquesne at home on a Saturday in late January where they did not show up until the last 10 minutes and barely squeaked out a 3-point win. Their offense was stagnant, they played "hero ball" most of the afternoon and only won because they had far superior talent to Duquesne that day.

Furthermore I watched their game against Duke in the Round of 32. They were never in the game, as Duke just blew them out from opening tap right through to the end. I understand Duke had significantly more talent, but the URI guys seemed to be resigned to losing that game right from the get go... time and time again URI ran poorly-executed offense with a lot of contested, rushed shots off of discombobulated offensive sets (they shot 11-30 in the first half, and were down 17 at halftime). I felt like our team from last year had somehow hijacked the Rhode Island uniforms and taken the court for them. It was discouraging, knowing there was a good chance that Dan was about to become our coach (as many on this board were saying by that point).

Whatever happens the rest of this year, and from what I have seen so far it looks like we are going to be happily surprised to either some or a very large degree, my initial fears about Hurley were wrong, wrong, wrong. And as I have said, it is not just because of our first 2 games, but it is about what he has done practically every day since he was hired. I do not think I could be more impressed in virtually every facet of the job he had done.

I am really looking forward to see how we size up in this upcoming 2-game set at MSG (Syracuse and ???) - I have not felt this type of anticipation in over 2 years. And man, does it feel GREAT!

Thank you Dan Hurley for making me wrong!

Reaction Score
I don’t care if a coach is a mixture of Jim Calhoun, Adolph Rupp and Coach K, no one can win without enough talent. Not being in a game against Duke for URI is no shame. And when a game starts to go out of control players can lose their patience and tighten up. This can easily happen to our team THIS year and probably will at some point. We must not turn on Hurley when and if we hit the skids this season. We are not that talent laden.

Reaction Score
Sometimes you just have games where you can’t get anything going. I saw URI struggle a few times last year, but most of the time, they were on fire.

This guy clearly understands what it takes to win. More importantly, he understands what it takes to beat teams with better players and he really believes his guys can do it. He seems more and more like vintage JC to me everyday. The one big difference is, he’s more relatable for most people. He’s smoother and more charming on a daily basis. JC was downright crusty a lot of the time, with just flashes of the nice guy side.

Reaction Score
I love Dan Hurley hand signaling his dad hitting the nail on the head on the last question

Reaction Score
One thing I like about Hurley that sometimes was a negative for Calhoun is I think JC sometimes couldn’t turn off the coach that he was in practice everyday during game situations. I think with Hurley you see that very clear distinction between practice coach where he will tear guys down and get in their face and game coach where he acts like he’s on the floor going to war with the team. Don’t get me wrong, both can be effective, it’s just a difference between using tactics to scare the crap out of your team and even embarrass them at times by yanking them and getting in their face vs. doing that in practice but then propping your team up on game day. We’ll hopefully get to see which style is most successful (obviously it’s going to be hard for DH to surpass JC anytime soon). I think Hurley’s style allows teams to play more loose and less tense. JC’s style worked because he recruited guys who could handle it, but that being said not everyone could deal with his style and not everyone responded well to it

None of this is meant to be negative to JC, that guy is one of the greatest coaches of all time. I just like Hurley’s game day mindset. I’ll also say it’s refreshing to see our coach off the bench and involved in the game rather than sitting in his chair with a stank face.

Reaction Score
Are these weekly? If so is there any place I could find more recent shows?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
One thing I like about Hurley that sometimes was a negative for Calhoun is I think JC sometimes couldn’t turn off the coach that he was in practice everyday during game situations. I think with Hurley you see that very clear distinction between practice coach where he will tear guys down and get in their face and game coach where he acts like he’s on the floor going to war with the team. Don’t get me wrong, both can be effective, it’s just a difference between using tactics to scare the crap out of your team and even embarrass them at times by yanking them and getting in their face vs. doing that in practice but then propping your team up on game day. We’ll hopefully get to see which style is most successful (obviously it’s going to be hard for Dan Hurley to surpass JC anytime soon). I think Hurley’s style allows teams to play more loose and less tense. JC’s style worked because he recruited guys who could handle it, but that being said not everyone could deal with his style and not everyone responded well to it

None of this is meant to be negative to JC, that guy is one of the greatest coaches of all time. I just like Hurley’s game day mindset. I’ll also say it’s refreshing to see our coach off the bench and involved in the game rather than sitting in his chair with a stank face.
Calhoun was a tough love kind of guy. His relationship with his players is shown at his charity game (or his HOF ceremony.) No shortage of guys who want to come back. He was intense on game day, no doubt about it.

That said, I like Hurley's game day approach.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Does anyone know if these get uploaded online, somewhere I can download and listen to it on my ride in tomorrow morning?

Reaction Score
Is Glen Miller listening?
1543542637655.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44