Dan Hurley called it | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley called it

Reaction Score
For those noticing he's a bit calmer on the sidelines, that was the plan all along.

From November 2018:

UConn men’s basketball coach Dan Hurley doesn’t hide his emotions very well on the sideline. If he’s angry, he’ll stomp his feet like a kid having a tantrum or yell so loud the entire arena can hear. When he’s excited, Hurley will hype up the crowd or go into the stands to help a player up. For him, it’s all part of the team-building process.

“A lot of opposing arenas are going to get some show this year,” Hurley joked. “When you’re first starting out and trying to build something, a mindset, a toughness and mentality, that’s how you have to coach your first year or two when you’re not quite as well-rounded in terms of having everything you need as a team. I’m going to have to will these guys through games, I’m going to have to coach every possession like it’s the end of the world.”

Once Hurley can get the players he needs and have them play the way he wants to, he’ll tone down the sideline antics a bit. But they won’t go away completely.

Once we become a more well-rounded team with an overall better everything, you’re not going to see that maniacal, sideline stalker,” he said. “You’ll see it at times when we need it but you won’t see it possession in, possession out.”

Reaction Score
For those noticing he's a bit calmer on the sidelines, that was the plan all along.

From November 2018:

UConn men’s basketball coach Dan Hurley doesn’t hide his emotions very well on the sideline. If he’s angry, he’ll stomp his feet like a kid having a tantrum or yell so loud the entire arena can hear. When he’s excited, Hurley will hype up the crowd or go into the stands to help a player up. For him, it’s all part of the team-building process.

“A lot of opposing arenas are going to get some show this year,” Hurley joked. “When you’re first starting out and trying to build something, a mindset, a toughness and mentality, that’s how you have to coach your first year or two when you’re not quite as well-rounded in terms of having everything you need as a team. I’m going to have to will these guys through games, I’m going to have to coach every possession like it’s the end of the world.”

Once Hurley can get the players he needs and have them play the way he wants to, he’ll tone down the sideline antics a bit. But they won’t go away completely.

Once we become a more well-rounded team with an overall better everything, you’re not going to see that maniacal, sideline stalker,” he said. “You’ll see it at times when we need it but you won’t see it possession in, possession out.”
Thankfully, his reputation will keep those antics very fresh in the eyes and hearts of CBB fans.

Nothing wrong with being a psycho, when it is needed...

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score

From November 2018:

Damn.

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
When you have Andre diving for loose balls up 30, don't really need to inject much additional energy into the equation.
Another standout moment for this teams identity is Jordan Hawkins ripping boards away from bigger guys, a la the Butler game. Hawk is supposed to be our "finesse" guy and he just gets right in there and punks them. That has to be demoralizing for the opponent.

Reaction Score
When you have Andre diving for loose balls up 30, don't really need to inject much additional energy into the equation.
Andre in the game up 30 is scary
Intensity on D when he enters the game is like turning the gas on your stove from medium to high

Reaction Score
I must confess I have never ever ever seen or met a bb coach who use emotions strategically and masterfully.

Freaking Hurley, are you telling me this is all part of 5-year rebuilding plan?

Reaction Score
I must confess I have never ever ever seen or met a bb coach who use emotions strategically and masterfully.

Freaking Hurley, are you telling me this is all part of 5-year rebuilding plan?

I kind of doubt it. The guy didn't get kicked out of the 'Nova game as some version of 3D chess. He's already been T'd up this year at the end of a cupcake game for no real reason.

It's easy to be less emotional on the sideline when you're winning by double digits every game.

He's an emotional coach. I have no problem with the antics. A timely tech or two never hurt anyone.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Helps to have the kind of personnel this team has. No disrespect to these guys, but reading the last sentence in that article brings a little bit of a pit in my stomach back: Kassoum Yakwe and Tarin Smith, both of whom were dealing with ailments, are expected to play without any restrictions.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I love sideline temper tantrums, screaming, quick hooks and an occasional T. The GOAT was the best at that too

I disliked sad puppy dog eyes

I know UConn fans that disliked JC's antics. I think that's what helped make him great

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

From November 2018:

He was good to his word. There were times when I didn't think he had it in him, I was wrong. Very wrong. He deserves every bit of praise he is getting. Nice pull.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Another standout moment for this teams identity is Jordan Hawkins ripping boards away from bigger guys, a la the Butler game. Hawk is supposed to be our "finesse" guy and he just gets right in there and punks them. That has to be demoralizing for the opponent.
When your star is playing that hard and that unselfishly, the sky is the limit.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
It’s really fascinating watching a team like us do that, versus a team like UNC who don’t always seem to particularly care what’s happening on the floor now that their draft stock is pretty much set.

Can’t say enough about the quality of character and personality of guys that Hurley and the staff have identified and brought in here, never mind the talent level and on-the-floor roster construction.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
I kind of doubt it. The guy didn't get kicked out of the 'Nova game as some version of 3D chess. He's already been T'd up this year at the end of a cupcake game for no real reason.

It's easy to be less emotional on the sideline when you're winning by double digits every game.

He's an emotional coach. I have no problem with the antics. A timely tech or two never hurt anyone.
As with Calhoun...

I have a lot of confidence in the Assistant Coaches. It is not scary to me at all to have Coach Hurley sent to the locker room a time or two.

Reaction Score

It’s rhetorical ;), brah

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

It's also a lot harder to make mistakes. Instead of "which underperforming bench guy do I sub in" it's which overperforming bench guy do I sub in? He's done a nice job of using some players together who cancel each other's weaknesses.

Reaction Score
It's also a lot harder to make mistakes. Instead of "which underperforming bench guy do I sub in" it's which overperforming bench guy do I sub in? He's done a nice job of using some players together who cancel each other's weaknesses.

Our roster construction is the best in the country.

We have one major hole right now: a big, mobile 4 who can pick up Karaban's slack when he's outmatched athletically some games, and to spell him for 10-15 minutes a game most nights. We have a guy coming back by the end of the month who fits that bill exactly.

Reaction Score
You took the word right out of my mouth. That’s our only Achilles heel. Hopefully Samson can fortify that position

Reaction Score
Our roster construction is the best in the country.

We have one major hole right now: a big, mobile 4 who can pick up Karaban's slack when he's outmatched athletically some games, and to spell him for 10-15 minutes a game most nights. We have a guy coming back by the end of the month who fits that bill exactly.
My word, I keep forgetting and then remembering and then forgetting about Samson. If he comes in and is able to fill that need, holy sh…

Reaction Score

And he got kicked out of the Secret Scrimmage Game. I love it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom