Dan Hurley breaks down the roster | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley breaks down the roster

Reaction Score
Meet The UConn Men: Dan Hurley Breaks Down Huskies Roster

A few highlights:

On Christian Vital:
“Christian has a competitive spirit you just love to coach, it’s kind of infectious thing that runs through the team. He can use those powers for good or evil, kind of like a super hero. Recently, he’s used them for good. Trying to get him to focus on taking fewer chances on defense, and then his shot selection. He was a volume scorer last year, we want him to be more efficient. He’s really starting to understand how to play the game the right way as a guard.”

On Brendan Adams:
“I think he’s a guy who is going to surprise people, because he didn’t get a lot of attention when we signed him, and he’s a really, really good player. Good size, very athletic, shoots the ball very, very well, which is kind of a major need in our program. He was raised in the game and he shows the same passion and obsession and desire that I do.”

On Tyler Polley:
“At 6-8, he’s an exciting guy to work with because he’s got potential. His body is underdeveloped, but you can’t teach the way the ball leaves his hand. For us, it’s building up his mindset and putting him in the best position so we can use that 3-point shooting. We’ve got to develop his physical strength and toughness on the court.”

On Sid Wilson:
“I love to work with talents like Sid. He’s got a lot of layers to him, an interesting personality. One day he’s the best player, the next day you wonder if he’s hiding behind Dan [Brocke], the walk-on. Sid, right now, is the type of guy who is going to need a lot of coaching, tough love and standards because he has NBA talent. He’s 6-8, plays way above the rim, can put it on the floor, shoot 3’s, can guard any position. He just oozes talent, but sometimes when you have that type of talent you kind of coast and with my coaching style that’s not a great fit. … He has as high a ceiling as Jalen.”

On Isaiah Whaley:
“Isaiah has been probably the most consistent of all our front-court players in terms of doing the things we need our front-court players to do. Isaiah is a key, has as good a chance as any of those [forwards] players to start the first game because he can really defend, doesn’t make a lot of mistakes on the court, he’s just a solid guy.”

Reaction Score
He's so good. He really is.

Had a way to really highlight guys strengths - had a way to poke/motivate them without being a dink about it.

I will say - reading through the tea leaves on Kwintin - I'm not sure we're going to see much of him this year. I mean when you say "it’s just a matter of teaching him where he should be at both ends of the court, understanding basketball philosophy" - that's not good.

Seemed to be a lot of the same theme with most of the guys though: 'super talented, need to find focus and toughness.'

Reaction Score
Love to see that Brendan Adams is an excellent shooter. We have desparately needed that, and reports on Adams 2.0 have been pretty limited.

At his size, with some shooting ability, if he is able to defend well enough for d1 ball, he could be a major impact freshman.

Great to hear.

Reaction Score
He just oozes talent, but sometimes when you have that type of talent you kind of coast and with my coaching style that’s not a great fit.
This is very very very welcome news. We all knew DH gets the most out of his players but hearing it from the man himself is so reassuring, not just for Sid but many players to come.

Reaction Score
I will say - reading through the tea leaves on Kwintin - I'm not sure we're going to see much of him this year. I mean when you say "it’s just a matter of teaching him where he should be at both ends of the court, understanding basketball philosophy" - that's not good.
Yeah, first taking away a year of eligibility, then the first night "Super Bowl" comment, and now this, it's sounding like Kwint is going to be playing with the walk-ons this year.

Reaction Score
Love to see that Brendan Adams is an excellent shooter. We have desparately needed that, and reports on Adams 2.0 have been pretty limited.

At his size, with some shooting ability, if he is able to defend well enough for d1 ball, he could be a major impact freshman.

Great to hear.
If he’s a legit 6’4 then he’ll have a good chance at earning a lot of minutes at the 3 since we’ll be playing so small.

Reaction Score
Yeah, first taking away a year of eligibility, then the first night "Super Bowl" comment, and now this, it's sounding like Kwint is going to be playing with the walk-ons this year.
Hurley keeps talking about swagger so I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to run a couple plays for him to get to the rim and energize the squad. Besides that he's probably just going to be 5 fouls or have mop up duty

Reaction Score

I mean break down that quote more:

"it’s just a matter of teaching him where he should be at both ends of the court"

"understanding basketball philosophy "

Let that settle for a bit - that's.. pretty brutal.

Reaction Score
Hurley keeps talking about swagger so I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to run a couple plays for him to get to the rim and energize the squad. Besides that he's probably just going to be 5 fouls or have mop up duty

I don't think he'll see any meaningful playing time this season.

Reaction Score
"shoots the ball very, very well,"

I just love the second "very." You don't throw that second very out there unless you mean it. Brendan has obvious impressed Hurley.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
"shoots the ball very, very well,"

I just love the second "very." You don't throw that second very out there unless you mean it. Brendan has obvious impressed Hurley.

The number of "very"s was always the measuring stick for how Calhoun felt too. I appreciate Hurley bringing that back to the program.

Reaction Score
Interesting bit on Carlton too.

“[Carlton] can shoot the ball from 17 feet now, can score over both shoulders in the post. ”

I know it's coach speak, and doing it unguarded over the summer is different from doing it in games, but after reading that quote I went from 6:00 to about 8:45 . . .

Reaction Score
Here's a bold prediction: the idea of using Polley at the 4 will last about ten minutes into the Harvard scrimmage and then be tabled forever. It's going to be a continuing problem using Polley in a 3-guard lineup, given the team's rebounding deficiencies up front. Nice to have a guy with a feathery touch in the lineup, but not when it applies as much to rebounding as shooting. I persist in thinking that the 4 is a position-in-waiting for a healthy Mamadou.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Seemed to be a lot of the same theme with most of the guys though: 'super talented, need to find focus and toughness.'

I think we all could have said the same about the guys after watching last year.

Although, less would agree on 'super talented', as Ollie didn't put them in a position to succeed. I've no idea how it shakes out, but I'm interested as hell to watch.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I know it's coach speak, and doing it unguarded over the summer is different from doing it in games, but after reading that quote I went from 6:00 to about 8:45 . . .

They got pills for that issue now.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

How did this go down? Did he ever state he took away a year from Q?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I mean break down that quote more:

"it’s just a matter of teaching him where he should be at both ends of the court"

"understanding basketball philosophy "

Let that settle for a bit - that's.. pretty brutal.

The guy has barely played any basketball, so it's to be expected.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Here's a bold prediction: the idea of using Polley at the 4 will last about ten minutes into the Harvard scrimmage and then be tabled forever. It's going to be a continuing problem using Polley in a 3-guard lineup, given the team's rebounding deficiencies up front. Nice to have a guy with a feathery touch in the lineup, but not when it applies as much to rebounding as shooting. I persist in thinking that the 4 is a position-in-waiting for a healthy Mamadou.

It's really going to depend on matchups. I think, once healthy, we've got a bit of versatility to matchup well with most teams, and even dictate those matchups.

Reaction Score
How did this go down? Did he ever state he took away a year from Q?
Kwintin Williams jumps into new UConn men’s basketball season hoping for more opportunity — and more dunks
In truth, it was communication with his new coach that convinced Williams to return for what will be his second and final season with the Huskies.

“I definitely was waiting to have that conversation with Hurley and see where he thought I’d be at with the team, if he could use me,” Williams said. “We came to an agreement, and I’m really happy with the position I’m in right now with Hurley and my team.”

Williams was listed as a sophomore last season. But a re-assessment of his somewhat confusing high school and junior college transcripts, along with a talk with the new head coach, left everyone in agreement that this will be his final year.

“We decided that it would be best just to go ahead and try to do my best this year and then move on from here,” Williams said.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Kwintin Williams jumps into new UConn men’s basketball season hoping for more opportunity — and more dunks
In truth, it was communication with his new coach that convinced Williams to return for what will be his second and final season with the Huskies.

“I definitely was waiting to have that conversation with Hurley and see where he thought I’d be at with the team, if he could use me,” Williams said. “We came to an agreement, and I’m really happy with the position I’m in right now with Hurley and my team.”

Williams was listed as a sophomore last season. But a re-assessment of his somewhat confusing high school and junior college transcripts, along with a talk with the new head coach, left everyone in agreement that this will be his final year.

“We decided that it would be best just to go ahead and try to do my best this year and then move on from here,” Williams said.

Thanks.

Reaction Score
It's really going to depend on matchups. I think, once healthy, we've got a bit of versatility to matchup well with most teams, and even dictate those matchups.

I just don't know where in that versatility you find any proven rebounder. Seems as though Carlton or Cobb would have to step up mightily in the middle to allow us to go soft at the 4.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom