Dan Hurley’s message to his UConn newcomers: Beware the Big East | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley’s message to his UConn newcomers: Beware the Big East

Reaction Score
Couple more articles today from Friday's media session.

“It was great to see him out there,” Hurley said Friday. “I just think what you see with Steph is you see the most ready, physical freshman coming in. The physical aspects, the size (6 feet 6), athletic ability, the skill level with the ball, the passing. It’s just getting to the point where the freshmen don’t really understand just how hard this is gonna be, how hard the Big East games are gonna be, how every possession matters so much.

“Just how spot-on you’ve gotta be offensively and defensively. It’s gonna be just the hardest thing he’s ever gonna go through in his life, and (we’re) just getting him up to speed on everything.”

Alternate access:
Dan Hurley’s message to his UConn newcomers: Beware the Big East

Reaction Score
“I learned during the whole summer that it’s a talented team, that we’ve got a lot of really exciting pieces again,” Hurley said. “And that the potential is going to be there for us again to have a big season.

“But what you learn from a negative standpoint, is just how great of leaders Andre and Adama were, how important Joey’s personality was and Jordan’s confidence and approach. We’ve gotta replace those tangible and intangible things.”

Alternate access:

UConn men’s basketball faces new challenges as defending national champion

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Thank you, thank you.

The pull quotes on both articles are well-chosen & wonderful.

Accompanying them with both means of linking to the source articles completes a true public service trifecta including maximum ease of access when I can get back to them later today.

Great job, @HooperScooper

Reaction Score
The Big East was our kryptonite. I was glad when our conference foes were eliminated during the Tourney, especially Chreighton.

Also the Nation kept wondering how we lost so many games. Well, the Big East happened, duh!

We really need to win the Conference Title again, though. Just saying.

Reaction Score
Hurley seems super focused on big east style of play. A BET title is his golden fleece. You can tell. Love this dude

Reaction Score
There's one thing you aren't going to get with a Danny Hurley-coached team (or at least something that won't be allowed to persist)...complacency. Guy is 24/7/365 "us against the world" mentality

Reaction Score
Also, loved to see the quote about Stewart now being [what seems to be] fully-integrated into all practice activities. And starting to show out.

Season can't get here soon enough. I can't wait until open practice is announced!!!

Reaction Score
I’m super excited for Solo Ball. Dude is built like a tank and I really think he’ll be able to handle the BE physicality from day 1
Agreed. I think hes going to make a big impact early on.

Reaction Score
So who will Hurley turn to? The new “Big Three” of Newton, Karaban and Clingan.

“I told Tristen, ‘this is your team now,’” Hurley said of Newton, who’s entering his fifth year of college ball and second at UConn. “You’ve got to lead the way. You’ve got to communicate to this group what needs to be done on a daily basis. Donovan, Alex, the same thing. Eventually we’ll ask Cam Spencer to do it, too. But he’s still finding his way here.”

Alternate access:

UConn men's basketball team may find replacing Andre Jackson Jr.'s leadership its toughest task

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I’m a big “leadership is overrated” guy. But having that one guy everyone would point to and follow without forcing it is probably useful for team chemistry.

If I were a coach, I’d never suggest to an older player that he must begin doing something that may not be in his social skill set. Not saying Dan is wrong to lean on Tristan, cause he knows his personality better than me, but I’d be surprised in year 5 if he suddenly becomes a leader.

Won’t be shocked if someone else emerges for that reason.

Reaction Score
The Big East was our kryptonite. I was glad when our conference foes were eliminated during the Tourney, especially Chreighton.

Also the Nation kept wondering how we lost so many games. Well, the Big East happened, duh!

We really need to win the Conference Title again, though. Just saying.

Who said it when they asked incredulously to the camera, "How the heck did this team lose eight games?!"

Reaction Score
Who said it when they asked incredulously to the camera, "How the heck did this team lose eight games?!"
Was it Barkley? I think it was someone from the CBS crew, maybe him or Kenny Smith.

Reaction Score
Hopefully, the Big East refs call it fair this year. The commissioner should see to it. It’s better for the conference if we (or any top team) go into the postseason highly ranked. It makes the whole conference look better. Nonsense losses due to obvious home cooking are costly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom