Damn, Providence? | The Boneyard

Damn, Providence?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Friar non con schedule.
V8n4jUHt.gif

Reaction Score
Well, I lived in Providence and my mother’s whole family is from there. Its a pretty cool little city, but West Hartford and the greater metro Hartford area is easily on par. I find the greatest difference is that people only know one area or the other well. Both have great food, good bars, a good college sports scene (Hartford is way better through) and a wide range of cultures.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Providence/Hartford argument is dumb. Providence is better than Hartford because West Hartford isn’t legally “in Hartford”. We Ha is fantastic.
Hartford is really hampered by being the smallest (geographic) "major" city in the country. It should have annexed West Hartford, Wethersfield, Bloomfield and probably more than that. I-91 and 84 really screwed the city as well. But still the downtown area of Providence is still better, and the area around Brown is pretty cool. There's nothing like that by Trinity unfortunately.

Reaction Score
Hartford is really hampered by being the smallest (geographic) "major" city in the country. It should have annexed West Hartford, Wethersfield, Bloomfield and probably more than that. I-91 and 84 really screwed the city as well. But still the downtown area of Providence is still better, and the area around Brown is pretty cool. There's nothing like that by Trinity unfortunately.
Right, but West Hartford is great. The fact that it’s not technically, the city of Hartford is a ridiculous thing to hold against Hartford as a metro. There’s only so much walking up and down Thayer Street that one can do.

Reaction Score
Right, but West Hartford is great. The fact that it’s not technically, the city of Hartford is a ridiculous thing to hold against Hartford as a metro. There’s only so much walking up and down Thayer Street that one can do.

Alright well let's include Newport on the Providence side of the ledger if we're doing that.

I never thought of Thayer Street as a place that people who are not Brown students or locals would frequent.

Reaction Score
Alright well let's include Newport on the Providence side of the ledger if we're doing that.

I never thought of Thayer Street as a place that people who are not Brown students or locals would frequent.
This would have made more sense in a response to the post that brought up New Haven. Newport is a 40+ minute drive from Providence. Hartford/West Hartford share a border.

Reaction Score
Other than Pratt Street and I'd argue that is the case only during the week, Hartford is a cess pool. Even then there are a handful of places to go to and overall, I just would rather live in the sticks and go to places like Glastonbury or WeHa for any kind of entertainment.

Reaction Score
Agreed. More importantly, if perhaps Hartford, East Hartford, West Hartford, Wethersfield were all one city, development over the years likely would have been much different. The highways have always been a problem with development.

Reaction Score

Yes, but Thayer is the "Cool area around Brown" that was mentioned. Downtown Providence is better than Downtown Hartford. I prefer going to restaurants and bars in West Hartford over either place. As far as including Newport because we included West Hartford, c'mon. Lets include East Providence instead, that's a more relevant comparison. East Providence is a solid place.

Hartford got carved up by the highways. Really is a shame as 2nd and 3rd tier cities can be perfect places to live
True. Hartford was a jewel until they destroyed it. Reading the history of Hartford and learning how gorgeous, admired and prosperous it was is very sad. It was a wealthy city with a big art scene.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What's the big music festival in Providence this weekend?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom