Dallas Wings @ Las Vegas Aces - 6/27/18 | The Boneyard

Dallas Wings @ Las Vegas Aces - 6/27/18

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Fun high paced game 28-28 after 1Q. Azure continues to shoot well from 3 leading with 8pts. 2-3 from 3pt so far. Defense and work around the basket continues to elude her.

55-52 Dallas at half time but the story is Kayla McBride with 24 at the half scoring in every way possible (4-4 from 3 and 9-12 overall and 4-4 from FT and also bringing alot of intensity on the defensive end.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why is Coffey anywhere near the floor in the closing minutes? Lambeer couldn’t understand why Coffey didn’t play much the past few years. He better know by now or things will continue to go south. This team has zero small forwards. Young is in a trance as well. Combined 3-12 but it’s not even the shooting. Neither have much court sense. They are both in over their heads.

You’d think I’d be happy since I bet against my own team and won. Frustrating.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
K-Mac with 38 but in crunch time her old teammate Diggins and the Wings executed better.

Vegas was up 89-87 but Dallas answered with an 8-0 run to win the game with Diggins scoring 5 of those 8.

Vegas missed 4 straight layup attempts during that stretch.

Reaction Score
Why is Coffey anywhere near the floor in the closing minutes? Lambeer couldn’t understand why Coffey didn’t play much the past few years. He better know by now or things will continue to go south. This team has zero small forwards. Young is in a trance as well. Combined 3-12 but it’s not even the shooting. Neither have much court sense. They are both in over their heads.

You’d think I’d be happy since I bet against my own team and won. Frustrating.
This is why I think the need KLS more than another big. Jefferson and McBride are All-Star caliber players at their position. Wilson will be an All-Star this year if she continues with her numbers. KLS would be their best option.

Reaction Score
Why is Coffey anywhere near the floor in the closing minutes?

Missed layups killed the Aces. Coffey struggled a lot. Plum can’t move her feet for the life of her, Diggins-Smith practically had an open lane the second half once she made her first step. I thought the game plan a good but Diggins-Smith was the difference make for the Wings.

Reaction Score
This is why I think the need KLS more than another big. Jefferson and McBride are All-Star caliber players at their position. Wilson will be an All-Star this year if she continues with her numbers. KLS would be their best option.

Or Either Durr and Ogunbowale. As bad as they need another shooter from the wing they also need a creator. Coffey is not a guard and although Young is a veteran she is far from a playmaker on the wing. I also think they can use another big. A’ja is a primary 4 and the Aces has to spend a lot of time with Hamby on Cambage who is 5 inches shorter. Brown or McCowan would have made a lot of her baskets difficult.

Reaction Score
I’m a bandwagon L’ville fan and I’d prefer Aces stay away from Durr. They definitely need makers and Durr’s a maker but doesn’t create enough, is too streaky, plus shes not strong like a McBride. Walz wants her stronger but I don’t see it in her frame. If there is a player who is going to be a better college baller than pro I believe it’s Durr. I agree w earlier poster. KLS would be great for Aces

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Missed layups killed the Aces. Coffey struggled a lot. Plum can’t move her feet for the life of her, Diggins-Smith practically had an open lane the second half once she made her first step. I thought the game plan a good but Diggins-Smith was the difference make for the Wings.
Entertaining game, but a frustrating loss, because the Aces were competing so well and doing everything right except for finishing on layups and short jumpers late in the game. At the same time, the Wings were making their open threes. Really that was really the only difference.

Great performances by McBride and Wilson, though. It's amazing just how improved Wilson is already compared to her senior year in college. She pretty much owned Azura Stevens in their one-on-one matchups, and we saw the same kind of defensive breakdowns from Z that she featured in the Final Four. Z did not look like a happy camper last night, and she ultimately fouled out of the game. I wouldn't be surprised if it's slowly sinking in that she would have been better off spending that final year at UConn.

Reaction Score
I want Katie Lou Samuelson for the Las Vegas Aces... a starting 5 of Jefferson, McBride, Samuelson, Wilson and Park? I like that.

I suppose that could happen if the Aces pick third. I prefer Jefferson, McBride, T Young or Coffey, Wilson, and McCowan.... with Harrison and Park as post backups. Booyah!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I suppose that could happen if the Aces pick third. I prefer Jefferson, McBride, T Young or Coffey, Wilson, and McCowan.... with Harrison and Park as post backups. Booyah!

Their options at 5 and 3 are both pretty bad. Hard to pick which to upgrade first.

Reaction Score
McCowan would clog up the paint for Wilson. McCowan doesn't have any post moves, and hasn't shown a consistent mid range jumper (why would she need one in college?). They need a better 3 and 5, but they can suffice with Wilson being their 5. She hasn't done terrible playing that position. She's third in scoring. Samuelson would be the best option for the Aces IMO.

Reaction Score
Call me crazy but I like Kelsey Bone She has some inside moves. I’m not familiar with her history? Why so many teams?

Reaction Score
McCowan would clog up the paint for Wilson. McCowan doesn't have any post moves, and hasn't shown a consistent mid range jumper (why would she need one in college?). They need a better 3 and 5, but they can suffice with Wilson being their 5. She hasn't done terrible playing that position. She's third in scoring. Samuelson would be the best option for the Aces IMO.
I totally agree. McGowan has very few post moves and a total of zero counters to use. That is a must in the W if you look at great post players. She is a big question mark in my opinion. She could very well be a McGee-Stafford. Park and Bone are solid enough defensively. I would take a proficient shooter like Samuelson to stretch the floor and create space for Wilson.

Reaction Score

Wilson was used to playing alongside Coates in SC. I think the only clogging will be happening on the defensive end. Laimbeer likes playing in the trenches. Right now the Aces are dead last in three point shots taken, and not because they don’t have three point shooters (Plum, McBride, Hamby, Nared). It’s not their game. He likes defense and rebounding and getting to the FT line.

Reaction Score
Wilson was used to playing alongside Coates in SC. I think the only clogging will be happening on the defensive end. Laimbeer likes playing in the trenches. Right now the Aces are dead last in three point shots taken, and not because they don’t have three point shooters (Plum, McBride, Hamby, Nared). It’s not their game. He likes defense and rebounding and getting to the FT line.
I would argue that Coates getting injured opened up the paint for Wilson, and they ultimately won a championship without Coates. Having brought up the 2017 championship, SC was fortunate that Turner tore her ACL in the 2nd round. I thought that ND and UConn were on a crash course to play each other for the title in 2017.

Okay back on topic... Wilson makes plays by facing up in the mid range area, and blowing past the defender if they are too close. If McCowan was paired with her, her defender would sag off and not allow Wilson to drive into the paint as easily. Having Samuelson will keep the lane more open, and will add a dimension to the Aces that they need. I wouldn't label Hamby and Nared as "three point shooters." McBride and Plum... sure. They don't have a shooter like KLS.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom