Daily Campus Column: Rhett Lashlee should be UConn football head coach sooner rather than later | The Boneyard

Daily Campus Column: Rhett Lashlee should be UConn football head coach sooner rather than later

Reaction Score
Okay then...

>>Plus, Lashlee is just 34 years old, an age significantly more relatable to collegiate football players than Edsall’s 59—not that 59 is over the hill by any means. Lashlee would also have connections to recruits in the SEC pipeline that could vastly improve the program over the next few years, something former head coach Bob Diaco dropped the ball on during his time at UConn.<<

Reaction Score
If you had to take the pick between Lashlee replacing Edsall this year or Lashlee leaving for a P5 OC job/G5 coaching job in two years, what would you choose? Option 2 is very likely at this point.

The ONLY thing forcing me pick to pick option two at this point is that the black abyss that we would potentially fall into after Lashlee got a P5 HC gig terrifies me.

Reaction Score
There is logic to this argument, and I would hate to see Lashlee hired away, while waiting for Randy to leave. but Randy may be able to motivate the team yet.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
So far we know the guy knows offense
Does he have, at this early age, all the tools needed to be a HC?
UConn made that mistake with Bobby RedPants -
Let's not rush into anything - if UConn has to, this offseason, give him some more cash and discuss the possible HC timetable down the road
The D has to get better - my God it can't be worse
Thanks Bobby- I hope Ohio State torches you for 80 pts and 1000 yds total offense

Reaction Score
Lashlee is getting hired away after next season, this is just a stopping point for him to prove himself. I am fine with that - we can keep his offense - and he will have more than paid his dues.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Lashlee is getting hired away after next season, this is just a stopping point for him to prove himself. I am fine with that - we can keep his offense - and he will have more than paid his dues.
If UConn wins 3 or less games - he ain't going nowhere
Plus AD won't let him go

Reaction Score
Even if he did become head coach and miraculously turned this sows ear into a silk purse he'd only be around for a year or two before being offered, "His Dream Job". Lets face it, Edsall is willing to stay til he retires. The young Turks want a shot at a big time program and won't hang around here any longer than they have to.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think that a young, top rated coordinator will always make a great head coach. Not too many years ago, the Broyles Award winner got the head coaching job at a major northeastern university. I know Lashlee has never performed at a level where he won the Broyles award (for the best assistant coach in the country) so his success isn't guaranteed, but he might be able to catch on at a college somewhere.

Reaction Score
Lashlee has clearly improved the offense leaps and bounds. I'd love to see him stay and replace Edsall when he retires, but I know he'll be gone before that. I think the bright side will be the offense will be on fire when the time comes where Lashlee leaves which will help attract another desirable OC.

Reaction Score
Edsall came back to UConn because of what he built here and it was his most successful gig. He'd be more likely to stick it around the long haul than Lashlee would for even 1-2 years as HC if he turned UConn around 180, and that's a big "if." And who knows who would come in to replace him at that point.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
You know who else is young... Bob Diaco

And the author of the article. Lashlee will recruit better because he is younger? That would explain Saban's recruiting problems...And why BD recruited well.

Lashlee won't be staying here longer than a year or two as an OC even if UConn's record is awful. As long as he is able to show he can design his own offense...Which he is already showing, he will leave for a bigger school. He had to get full OC on his resume before a top school would consider him for OC or head coach.

UConn's short term and long term plan is Edsall. Its not a bad strategy....Churn through young coordinators (hopefully because they are successful) with Edsall as the constant. I really don't think Lashlee will ever be HC here.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Lashlee won't be staying here longer than a year or two as an OC even if UConn's record is awful. As long as he is able to show he can design his own offense...Which he is already showing, he will leave for a bigger school. He had to get full OC on his resume before a top school would consider him for OC or head coach.

Totally agree. Lets pray for two years and hope its not just one year.

Reaction Score
Exactly. We're not keeping Lashlee or any other young coach here for long if they have success. They'd always bail for more prestigious gigs with P5 schools. At least Edsall is more likely to stick around because of the history he has here.

Reaction Score
And the author of the article. Lashlee will recruit better because he is younger? That would explain Saban's recruiting problems...And why BD recruited well.

UConn's short term and long term plan is Edsall. Its not a bad strategy....Churn through young coordinators (hopefully because they are successful) with Edsall as the constant. I really don't think Lashlee will ever be HC here.
I agree with all of this, and would add one more point: as much as I'd love for Lashlee to stick around forever, I have full confidence in HCRE and AD Dave to find a good replacement for him when the time comes. Edsall has always had a knack for finding quality coordinators/assistants (I know, the jury is still out on Crocker, but I'm not giving up on him yet).

Reaction Score
Okay then...

>>Plus, Lashlee is just 34 years old, an age significantly more relatable to collegiate football players than Edsall’s 59—not that 59 is over the hill by any means. Lashlee would also have connections to recruits in the SEC pipeline that could vastly improve the program over the next few years, something former head coach Bob Diaco dropped the ball on during his time at UConn.<<

Like I said already, if Benedict bolts for Auburn, and Susan has some guts, she immediately hires Lashlee with a nice contract, and she names Randy AD. It'll be Paul Chryst and Barry Alvarez all over again. Nothings really going to change except Lashlee's salary and the titles on some office doors.

Reaction Score
What would lashlee's next move be though if he leaves UConn? He won't get a head coaching job at Tenn, Nebraska, Florida, Oregon State or LSU. Would he get the HC job at UCF once Frost leaves for one of those gigs-maybe? Would Boston College hire him or FAU once Kiffin leaves? I don't know, there tons of really good head coaching candidates out there.

Dany White, the AD from UCF, is also going to get a big time AD job at an SEC school very soon

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
The D in Frankenconference is pathetic. Please factor that in..

Reaction Score
As I've said before I doubt AD Dave said "Just come for one year and you'll get a lot of offers"

After 2 years, anything is possible. I still think Lashlee has a handshake agreement with AD Dave about a HC position here.

Timing is everything. By the way, if the ship gets righted because of Randy, he can walk away and wait for a tiny statue.

Of course that would be after JC and Geno get theirs.

Reaction Score
Can we not manufacture more issues than we already have? My gosh. Let's work on keeping the next opponent under 60, figuring out how we get better recruits through the door, and avoid amputations from the budget axe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom