D. Daniels | The Boneyard

D. Daniels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
... we need him... His game's too good to get ZERO minutes last night... He must be in Calhoun's doghouse... Don't think he understands the level of intensity he needs to play at while he's on the court... Just my gut feeling. I think once he gets it he'll be a HUGE asset for this team come March....

Reaction Score
Well he did get 3 minutes last night actually.

The problem is that our offense is predicated on our guards getting into the lane and making things happen. Daniels doesn't handle the ball as well as I thought he would coming into this season, so he's not a guy who gets into the lane himself. If he was knocking down his outside shot, he'd be getting more minutes. Unfortunately he hasn't been shooting well since very early in the year.

Reaction Score
Freshman have to figure out what Calhoun wants. That's not always easy. Lot's of them go through stretches where they get pushed to the back of the line. it happened a little to Lamb last year even though JC loved him.

Reaction Score
Without on court leadership DD may be a year away. He seems somewhat lost on the court. Kemba was a great help in the development of the freshman. No one on the floor this season has replaced that.

He also needs to learn to ignore Calhoun during game time, if that is possible. Veterans need to come to his defense with a pat on the back or an encouraging word in his ear. That is a trademark of UConn teams (players helping each other manage Calhoun). Boatright is too cocky to allow the tirades to bother him, although last night's on court confrontation was not pretty. Andre, well he's a millionaire in waiting, and Calhoun will not affect him the least. DD seems a little more timid, sensitive and nervous.

Reaction Score
DeAndre, Roscoe, and Niels before his increased PT the past few games aren't in anyone's doghouse, its just that they're a much better team with Bazz, Boat and Lamb at the 1,2, & 3 spots. DD, RS, & NG are going to have to basically get in where they fit in because the minutes are going to be hard to come by at the SF spot unless there is foul trouble or an injury.

caw

Reaction Score
Daniels, Giffey and Roscoe all have the same problem. OK not the same but it turns out the same.

They all have good mechanics and stuff that can be built upon, however:

Giffey has a slow release and can't defend guards.
Daniels doesn't attack the basket enough and is in a horrid shooting slump.
Roscoe rushes shots and is playing with low confidence.

The good thing is that all three have looked less flustered than the first few games of the year where it was scary anytime any of them had the ball.

Giffey is becoming more aggressive, which is good even if his shot is not falling right now.
Daniels is at least taking open shots.
Roscoe seems to realize (before hurting his hand) he is a 3/4 tweener right now and is working down low more than out on the perimeter.

There is so much potential at this position and it will be the growth of these 3 players (assuming AO, AD, TO, SN, RB, JL remain where they are) that decide just how good this team is. If you could promise me 13-15 pts a game and 7-9 rebounds between those three a game and around 43-45%, I would be very happy. Right now it's at 10.7 and 7.1 with all three shooting the lowest 3 percentages on the team.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
At some point in this season he's going to give us a nice boost.

And I predict in the future, perhaps next year, that he's going to be a FANTASTIC player. His game looks smooth.

Reaction Score
I remember I was really excited about DeAndre before the season when Jon Rothstein tweeted he was "off the charts". I was then disappointed when he tweeted a few days later that a Philly Cheese Steak he ate was "OFF THE CHARTS!!!"

That being said, DeAndre certainly has all the tools to be successful. His shot has been off since the early part of the season and with quicker and stronger defenders, he doesn't have the handle or first step to get by them. What it comes down to is that his defense isn't quite as good as Roscoe's or Giffey's and the offense runs smoother with a 3 guard set. I'm still holding out hope, however, that he can have a Jeremy Lamb-esque breakout at the end of the season.

Reaction Score
I remember I was really excited about DeAndre before the season when Jon Rothstein tweeted he was "off the charts". I was then disappointed when he tweeted a few days later that a Philly Cheese Steak he ate was "OFF THE CHARTS!!!"
quote]

This made me laugh.

Reaction Score
I always thought that DD made the most hustle plays and got on the floor more often than Roscoe or Giffey. But the fact is probably 20 minutes a game are available for the three of them and JC seems to really like Giffey right now.

Reaction Score
Daniels could very well be Mo Harkless without the minutes and need to score. Or even better.

Reaction Score
Daniels could more than likely replace Lamb's scoring when that is eventually needed but I just can't see him playing the 2. A lot of 2 guards in CBB are more of the combo guard variety and I don't think he can consistently guard a faster player that is half a foot shorter than him.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Daniels will be fine. He's a good player, athletic and hustles. Once his shot starts dropping everything else will fall into place.
I caught most of that Texas game from last year over the Christmas break. Lamb barely played. Two months later he was all Barkley talked about.

H

huskymagic

Daniels could very well be Mo Harkless without the minutes and need to score. Or even better.

Your kidding I hope. Mo Harkless is a much better player than Daniels already and was a big loss for us. I wanted him to come to UConn big time. Daniels has the tools to be a good player but he won't be as good as Harkless. Harkless reminds me of Rudy Gay actually.

Reaction Score
Your kidding I hope. Mo Harkless is a much better player than Daniels already and was a big loss for us. I wanted him to come to UConn big time. Daniels has the tools to be a good player but he won't be as good as Harkless. Harkless reminds me of Rudy Gay actually.

Are you that guy that got drunk and made a trolling Daniels thread?

Reaction Score
Daniels, Giffey and Roscoe all have the same problem. OK not the same but it turns out the same.

They all have good mechanics and stuff that can be built upon, however:

Giffey has a slow release and can't defend guards.
Daniels doesn't attack the basket enough and is in a horrid shooting slump.
Roscoe rushes shots and is playing with low confidence.

The good thing is that all three have looked less flustered than the first few games of the year where it was scary anytime any of them had the ball.

Giffey is becoming more aggressive, which is good even if his shot is not falling right now.
Daniels is at least taking open shots.
Roscoe seems to realize (before hurting his hand) he is a 3/4 tweener right now and is working down low more than out on the perimeter.

There is so much potential at this position and it will be the growth of these 3 players (assuming AO, AD, TO, SN, RB, JL remain where they are) that decide just how good this team is. If you could promise me 13-15 pts a game and 7-9 rebounds between those three a game and around 43-45%, I would be very happy. Right now it's at 10.7 and 7.1 with all three shooting the lowest 3 percentages on the team.

Giffey can and does defend guards quite well. Definitely the best out of the 3 and even better than lamb at times. That is the reason why Calhoun has been playing him recently is that he guards the perimeter pretty good. Unfortunately he is just awful on offense, his outside shot is alright I guess in practice haha, and can't pass the ball to save his life. He does every once in awhile have a nice pass(to AD in the Rutgers game) but for some reason just seems awkward when he has the ball in his hands. I think DD is the only one that has any kind of dribble penetration and also the best shot of the 3 but sometimes can't keep in front of his man. RS is more of a PF at the college level and has no outside shot. Funny since he came into UCONN being noted as a great shooter.

Reaction Score
Funny since he came into UCONN being noted as a great shooter.

How many times have we heard that about a kid? Shooting ability has got to be the trait that guys lose the most when they come to UConn. I don't know if it's just not emphasized in practice or what, but we have had more "shooters" come here and become duds than probably any other basketball skill you can evaluate at the high school level.

Reaction Score
How many times have we heard that about a kid? Shooting ability has got to be the trait that guys lose the most when they come to UConn. I don't know if it's just not emphasized in practice or what, but we have had more "shooters" come here and become duds than probably any other basketball skill you can evaluate at the high school level.

i think its just easier to shoot when high school kids are guarding you......than when Big East defenders are

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
From what I recall, Roscoe Smith was regarded as a shooter before he got to UCONN. He bricked some shots his freshman year and has become a 'garbage man' on this team. He is afraid to shoot because when he misses a three JC gives him the hook. JC does not see his role (when he gets to play) as a shooter. I suspect this conflict between him seeing himself as a shooter and Calhoun seeing him as a 'garbage man' and Roscoe not accepting it is the reason he's getting minimal playing time.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see us invest more minutes in Deandre. He's improved his handle considerably, so we know he's a worker. We really need another outside shooter and Roscoe doesn't seem to be it. In fact, I cringe everytime Roscoe throw up a shot from the perimeter. Now, if Roscoe were to get inside and bang for some putbacks, or drive to the hoop half the time, then I could tolerate his shooting woes better.

Reaction Score

No, not kidding actually. Kind of wondering aloud. I am no talent evaluator. All I know is that Daniels was ranked higher, in some cases significantly so, by those that are (supposedly) talent evaluators. If given the same opportunity for minutes and a green light to shoot at will would he be putting up the sam numbers? If they switched teams would their statistics be reversed? No one can say for sure but I'm not convinced they wouldn't. Kind of the Cleveland Melvin Syndrome. I doubt he would have put up the same numbers had he come to UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom