CW is a freshman -- oh, right | The Boneyard

CW is a freshman -- oh, right

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As good as CW is, and as well as she’s playing, she’s still a freshman, and will make a freshman mistake, or be hesitant to pull the trigger on a shot from time to time. The season is still young. There is a lot of basketball yet to be played.

CW is a player that will learn from her mistakes and errors in judgment. The only thing that will help her to be the player UConn needs her to be sooner rather than later is by letting her play, and allow her to adjust to play at this level. Christyn is a very intelligent player. As she gains more and more experience, and with the help and guidance of her coaches, Christyn will figure it out.

I’m guessing by mid January, she should have enough games under her belt to have a real grasp and understanding of what she needs to do and how to do it. She will continue to learn and get better in practice as well as in games.

There are things that happen in games that can’t be duplicated in practice. Of course she will benefit from practice sessions throughout the season, as well as starter’s minutes on the floor. I expect to see steady improvement in her game and understanding of Geno's system as the season progresses. She's NOT the player today that she will be a month from now. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
for me CW is playing about as expected although I think she needs to be a bit more aggressive looking for her shot......................next year she will need to be an 18-20 point per game scorer to make up for the loss of KLS and NC..................and she will...........

Reaction Score
As good as CW is, and as well as she’s playing, she’s still a freshman, and will make a freshman mistake, or be hesitant to pull the trigger on a shot from time to time.

CW is a player that will learn from her mistakes and errors in judgment. The only thing that will make her the player UConn needs her to be is by letting her play, and allow her to adjust to play at this level.

I’m guessing by mid January, she should have enough games under her belt to have a real grasp and understanding of what she needs to do and how to do it. She will continue to learn and get better in practice as well as in games.

There are things that happen in games that can’t be duplicated in practice. Of course she will benefit from practice sessions throughout the season, as well as starter’s minutes on the floor.
Even yesterday, it looked as if she was gaining confidence in herself. Hitting that three had to feel great. Then another, I think. Megan did similarly. A key to this team, per usual, will be defense. Even though they are winning by 40, their defense is not what is was last year. Kia and Gabby were both " shut-down" defenders, and able to steal the ball ( mostly Gabby ). We haven't seen any of that. And, possibly, will not. They can still be excellent, but defense takes a lot of time to play effectively, as a team.

Reaction Score
CW looks so comfortable playing. I forget she is a freshman. My, of my, is she going to be really great.

I don't know if Chrystn Williams (CW) is great, will be great; historically at Uconn all the really really really (for Sonny) great ones from day one looked and played as CW is currently playing. Confidence, I belong here. Confidence, I can do anything these other guys can do. Confidence--I want to wear a Uconn uniform without my name on it cuz those fans will know me soon enough. (And we do don't we?)

Reaction Score
for me CW is playing about as expected although I think she needs to be a bit more aggressive looking for her shot.......next year she will need to be an 18-20 point per game scorer to make up for the loss of KLS and NC...and she will......
CW and MW SHALL be 15 to 25 point scorers next season. They have the talent, ability and when they are the only options they will be the go to scorers. MW is new at being away from her kennel and CW is walking before she runs next year they will be -IT. An aside: Touly in the Ole Miss game showed promise.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I've seen only 5 games, including the 2 exhibition games, but it's clear that Megan and Chrsityn belong in the starting lineup, not just because they are the best options available, but also because their play is solid. Depending on the game, our best player has been Lou, Phee, or Crystal, so Meg and Christyn are a bit behind them and deferential, but they look like the players we were hoping for.

Reaction Score
I've seen only 5 games, including the 2 exhibition games, but it's clear that Megan and Chrsityn belong in the starting lineup, not just because they are the best options available, but also because their play is solid. Depending on the game, our best player has been Lou, Phee, or Crystal, so Meg and Christyn are a bit behind them and deferential, but they look like the players we were hoping for.
And, I would add, so does Olivia. Though early in her development.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I watch ONO when she comes in. I like a lot of things shes does when she's in there. Her knowledge, confidence and comfortability playing at this level will grow the more she plays. ONO is not the player today that she will be come mid January, and certainly not by this time next year. Auriemma said that Nelson-Ododa is still trying to adjust mentally to the college game. “She has to catch up. She has to get into the college game mentally,” he said.

Something we as fans sometimes forget or dismiss is that freshmen are always the youngest players on the floor, and are often times treated like it by teammates and opposing players. This can be a bit intimidating to some, but not necessarily to others.

The same thing as an new 9th grader coming in to high school. The players are a lot bigger stronger and faster than they were in junior or senior high school. Once she adjusts to the speed and physicality of the game, and feels that she belongs here and can play at this level, she'll be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
As good as CW is, and as well as she’s playing, she’s still a freshman, and will make a freshman mistake, or be hesitant to pull the trigger on a shot from time to time. The season is still young. There is a lot of basketball yet to be played.

CW is a player that will learn from her mistakes and errors in judgment. The only thing that will make her the player UConn needs her to be is by letting her play, and allow her to adjust to play at this level.

There are things that happen in games that can’t be duplicated in practice. Of course she will benefit from practice sessions throughout the season, as well as starter’s minutes on the floor. I expect to see steady improvement in her game and understanding of Geno's system as the season progresses. She's NOT the player today that she will be a month from now.

Oh, of course, I agree with this. Implicit in my post is that this is only the very beginning for CW. She will be fun to watch all year. And the next three years. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I agree with qualifications. The kid definitely has talent. Your last sentence is my qualification. ONO is the talent I referred to. I like that in each game she gets better rarely makes the same mistakes 2 games in a row. Yet she is a Frosh and so is CW. Just think how bless Geno and we are to have this freshman class. In 10 days when anyone mentions Boston they will get directions up Rt 95.

Reaction Score
for me CW is playing about as expected although I think she needs to be a bit more aggressive looking for her shot.......next year she will need to be an 18-20 point per game scorer to make up for the loss of KLS and NC...and she will......
I disagree...the more she shoots the less NC, Lou & Crystal Dangerfield shoot. The talent gap between them RIGHT NOW is substantial. She maybe the go-to scorer next season but this is this season. We weren't begging for Lou or Pheesa to shoot more when we had Stewie, Tuck & Moriah. Same thing here. Know your current role and excel at that role. EARN your bigger role for next season.

Reaction Score
I guess that is the job of most fans to tell each other how great their team is and anoint their players after 4(?) games. As Tuna used to say "let's not anoint anyone just yet". Thankfully we will all get to watch her (and ONO) develop over the next few years. Hopefully they WILL BE special players. Try not to think about how much the current bench players have developed in the last 1-2 yrs.

Reaction Score
I disagree...the more she shoots the less NC, Lou & Crystal Dangerfield shoot. The talent gap between them RIGHT NOW is substantial. She maybe the go-to scorer next season but this is this season. We weren't begging for Lou or Pheesa to shoot more when we had Stewie, Tuck & Moriah. Same thing here. Know your current role and excel at that role. EARN your bigger role for next season.

Geno has already mentioned that he wants her shooting more when the shot is there and not to defer to the seniors...................not just because she can but because her scoring takes some of the defensive pressure away from KLS.......................same goes for Crystal...........we haven't even seen half of what CW has in her arsenal.........................

Reaction Score
Geno has already mentioned that he wants her shooting more when the shot is there and not to defer to the seniors....not just because she can but because her scoring takes some of the defensive pressure away from KLS........same goes for Crystal......we haven't even seen half of what CW has in her arsenal.....
I agree but that doesn't mean force the issue. Most the plays are ran to get our seniors touches. I think she's doing great in the spots she catches from.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
CW is playing well and smart. She is letting the game come to her. She is not rushing her shots. She sneaks in and grabs rebounds. Defense is decent and will improve. This is just the beginning for her.

Olivia is starting to showcase what she will be capable of doing. Nice mid-range shot. Excellent foul shooting. Not afraid to mix it up on the boards. The more her confidence grows and the more playing time she gets will pay dividends come March and April.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom