OT - Cutting the Cord - Need Feedback | The Boneyard

OT - Cutting the Cord - Need Feedback

Reaction Score
Don't have PlayStation. Don't watch much TV other than Sports, some news, some Discovery and NatGeo

Leaning toward YouTube TV. Thoughts?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure YouTube TV is darn expensive, might not be that much more cost effective than cable. Could do Sling Box for like $20/month. I'm not sure how to get news streamed on demand, but as long as you have wifi you can get pretty much any sporting event streamed for free. The super bowl was available through NBC online for free.

Reaction Score
I use now something called "Set TV". I cancelled my Comcast cable service over a year ago. Since then I have tried, sling tv, direct tv now, Hulu (beta TV). I watch tv, but don't have set shows I need to watch. So I went with the cheapest option I have currently found. Hulu has a great archive to go along with their new live stream tv option. Direct tv now is good as well, I just wasn't a big fan of the plans. Set TV is 20 a month, IP stream but you get HBO channels, starz channels. etc. Just check it out. A neighbor told me about it. I have since turned in my Comcast modem and purchased my own modem and router. Only thing I subscribe to is xfiniity internet and SET TV.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You don't need a PlayStation for Playstation vue.

From what I've seen, the Vue package that was like $50 had the best coverage of sports (going to need CBS Sport Network for UConn).

That said if you're paying $50 for streaming tv, and then another $50/$60 for internet, may as well just stick with the cable package, no?

Reaction Score
You don't need a PlayStation for Playstation vue.

From what I've seen, the Vue package that was like $50 had the best coverage of sports (going to need CBS Sport Network for UConn).

That said if you're paying $50 for streaming tv, and then another $50/$60 for internet, may as well just stick with the cable package, no?
As soon as they tried to charge me $90 a month for each, I said the heck with you and cancelled cable immediately.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
As soon as they tried to charge me $90 a month for each, I said the heck with you and cancelled cable immediately.

Don't blame you - what I pay disgusts me.

That said, perfect quality for games and a big DVR is a game changer for me.

Reaction Score
I use now something called "Set TV". I cancelled my Comcast cable service over a year ago. Since then I have tried, sling tv, direct tv now, Hulu (beta TV). I watch tv, but don't have set shows I need to watch. So I went with the cheapest option I have currently found. Hulu has a great archive to go along with their new live stream tv option. Direct tv now is good as well, I just wasn't a big fan of the plans. Set TV is 20 a month, IP stream but you get HBO channels, starz channels. etc. Just check it out. A neighbor told me about it. I have since turned in my Comcast modem and purchased my own modem and router. Only thing I subscribe to is xfiniity internet and SET TV.
Does set tv have a channel guide?

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
We've used a combination of Roku with Sling TV (with DVR for $25 / month) and Netflix / Amazon Prime to substitute for cable and its worked pretty well. For all things UConn though, I have to "borrow" my friend's Slingbox login to get ESPNU, ESPN News or CBS Sports which is a bit of a pain.

Only challenge with this setup is getting the networks - we tried a HD antenna but it didn't work very well in our house for some reason. That being said, for Prime Time programming, you can usually get replays via each network's Roku app or elsewhere. It's live programming where we suffer.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
How much are you looking to pay? I have fios and I called them and said I was switching to xfinity for $99. They offered something very similar, but I spent a little more for the DVR's. I ended up paying $125 including taxes/fees for 2 DVR's, a few hundred HD channels, 50 MB internet that actually is more like 60MB. I don't get any pay channels.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I've looked at You Tube TV but I like Sling TV better. $25/month gets the extended sports package and all the cable channels I want. Downside to Sling TV is the cable news and networks. You'll need an antenna to get networks or another streaming option.

On top of that our family has Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu. It's more than we need and much cheaper than we were paying for cable.

Reaction Score
There are a couple ways to cut the cord. The first way is to just decide you will consciously change your lifestyle, watch less TV, and watch only what is on the broadcast channels. The second way is to find other ways to duplicate what you are now watching but other than by cable.

We did the first option and are quite satisfied. There is surprisingly a lot on broadcast channels, some of which are not carried on cable even. And when we can't find anything interesting, we catch up on our reading. But if TV watching is important to your life and sports is a high TV priority, I would not recommend the first option.

I should add that when the grandchildren get a little older, we will probably go back to cable or the second option. For obvious reasons. ;) ;)

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Get an Amazon Fire Stick and download Mobdro onto it.
Very easy to do. Terrarium as well.
Mobdro has the ESPN fam, FS1 and others

Reaction Score
Directv Now is offering a free 4K Apple TV if you prepay 4 months at $35/month. That comes to $140, and the 4k Apple TV is $179. I don't see in the fine print where you can't just cancel after you get the 4K Apple TV.

Reaction Score
My cable contract expired last month...paid the bill today! $311!!! I will be cutting the cord too...PlayStation Vue is what I’ve settled on. Sling is decent but I liked Vue best. They all offer a week free trail. I recommend seeing what u like best! As far as devices go...amazon fire stick! Can’t beat it and the ability to add extras!

Reaction Score
Does set tv have a channel guide?
yes. Check it out. Fees a little bootleg some times, but for as little as I watch tv it works for me. Theres close to 500 channels, HBO, STarz etc. It's a no brainer for me. From the main screen you can select the EPG screen and this would be the channel guide. I use an amazon fire stick to stream in both the living room and my bedroom.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom