OT: - Cuse Guard Jalen Carey | The Boneyard

OT: Cuse Guard Jalen Carey

Reaction Score
He has played 4-minutes TOTAL the past 4 games. He is behind Frank & Buddy in their rotations. I would love to make a run at him this off-season if he decides to leave. If I recall correctly and please confirm @UConnStats weren't we in his top 3 before he committed to Cuse?

This Q&A was posted last week but I found it when I was searching why he wasn't playing. I figured he was just hurt.

Why isn't Syracuse freshman Jalen Carey playing more? (Mike's Mailbox)

Reaction Score
KO was a finalist for Carey.

He may end up transferring after the end of this year, but given our roster crunch, I'm not sure Hurley (who offered Carey at URI), would have interest in taking him as a redshirt. Carey has played very poorly this year.

Reaction Score

He may end up transferring after the end of this year, but given our roster crunch, I'm not sure Hurley (who offered Carey at URI), would have interest in taking him as a redshirt. Carey has played very poorly this year.
Except for, ya know, that one game..

Just looked it up and the 26 points he scored against us constitutes 31% of his total scoring output for the entire season. Add in the next night's 14 against Oregon and he scored almost half of his total points this year at MSG in one weekend.

Reaction Score

Just looked it up and the 26 points he scored against us constitutes 31% of his total scoring output for the entire season. Add in the next night's 14 against Oregon and he scored almost half of his total points this year at MSG in one weekend.
That's like Matt Moyer on Cuse last year - career high 18 points and some ridiculous dunks. Ended up averaging 2.9 ppg the rest of the season and transferred out.

Reaction Score

Will there be a crunch? There's one guaranteed opening, and everyone assumes 2 more. Maybe 3. Will there be 3-4 players better than Carey?

Reaction Score
That's like Matt Moyer on Cuse last year - career high 18 points and some ridiculous dunks. Ended up averaging 2.9 ppg the rest of the season and transferred out.
Ah yeah, I remember that. The '17-'18 Huskies handed out career highs to random role players just about every night.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
We would be smart to take him for a sit one, play three situation. Stash him next year and he can play a solid role on our 20-21 team. Especially if AG elects to not play his 5th year season.

Reaction Score
We don't need guards, we need front court players. Think 4 & 5.

Reaction Score
Will there be a crunch? There's one guaranteed opening, and everyone assumes 2 more. Maybe 3. Will there be 3-4 players better than Carey?
They’re going to need players who can give them real minutes next year. A redshirt might not be in the cards. We know we’ll add a center, but there’s a lot of moving parts still with the actual number of open scholarships and Achiuwa’s decision still up in the air. Should be interesting.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
He’s not meant for the zone - he’s a better man to man defender. Do not know why he committed to Cuse.

Also doesn’t help he can’t shoot FTs or 3’s as a guard.

Reaction Score
I was wondering what happened to Mr. Carey. He went off at The Garden against us, but apparently has fallen into the doghouse since.

Reaction Score
We don't need guards, we need front court players. Think 4 & 5.
Ones that understand their roles... Set screens, rebound, rebound, rebound, rebound some some more, run the floor... be ready for the rock as a reward... a la Jake Voskuhl, Dan Cyrulik.. If we get somebody that can also score a little (a la Emeka Okafor) it's a plus... We're fine for the next 2 years with Carlton, but he needs help.. a PF to support him on the boards....

Reaction Score
A pg who can’t get any time on a team that really needs a pg?

I’d prefer recruiting a strong ball handler or a great shooter. Not a tweener.

Reaction Score

Wow. I was at that game and I was very impressed. I haven't watched much of syracuse since. Obviously, he wasn't going to average 20 per game but I'm shocked that his dropoff has been that bad.

Reaction Score
UConn has no need for a G transfer. I would rather put my hopes on seeing the team improve next year and beyond and being able to fill spots with top level recruits. Syracuse has no PG recruits in 2019 and with Howard graduating, the starting spot is his for the taking.

Reaction Score
We don't have room to carry someone who can't play next year. We don't need another guard who can't shot (if that's the case). We need bigs and if we have anymore ships open we would have a higher need for whoever comes in to play right away. We have 2 players next year with injury problems AG and MD.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Ah yeah, I remember that. The '17-'18 Huskies handed out career highs to random role players just about every night.

If you can't beat out Buddy Boeheim, idk. Yes, I get his dad is the coach.

We would be smart to take him for a sit one, play three situation. Stash him next year and he can play a solid role on our 20-21 team. Especially if AG elects to not play his 5th year season.

That might be the only reason. Get some experience on the bench.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
They’re going to need players who can give them real minutes next year. A redshirt might not be in the cards. We know we’ll add a center, but there’s a lot of moving parts still with the actual number of open scholarships and Achiuwa’s decision still up in the air. Should be interesting.

He's not deciding til at least after the tournament no? I forgot what people said about his time line.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
He’s not meant for the zone - he’s a better man to man defender. Do not know why he committed to Cuse.
Also doesn’t help he can’t shoot FTs or 3’s as a guard.

Uggh. I'm so done with that kind of player. I'm out on him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom