Current Unknowns, please speculate | The Boneyard

Current Unknowns, please speculate

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
With 5 mandated ND <> ACC games, can a 15 team football conference work scheduling wise?

Is the $50 million dollar buyout effective immediately? If not, what is the window for the ACC FB schools to bolt?

If the buyout is effective immediately, does this shift the leverage to tobacco road? Under this new leverage shift, can Uconn get 16?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There isn't a 15 team league. ND is not a football member, the agreement is for 5 OOC games per year. Each ACC team will play 6 division games and 3 non division games, plus 3 OOC. For 5 teams, ND will be one of the OOC's

In BB they will have 3 pods of five. H/A against your pod, 8 games plus one game against every one else, 10 games. You can bet the pods will be regional to appease the carolina schools. ND will pod with Pitt, Cuse, BC, and VT.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
No - the quesiton about scheduling is two fold:

#1. How many ACC programs are already on the ND future schedule per year?

#2. Do those games count toward the 5 per year?

My guess is that there's a lot of spin on what's happened today, and the top isn't going to spin long.

Notre Dame just made a football independance self preservation move, history does indeed repeat itself. Swofford adn Swarbrick and the ACC are simply repeating exactly what Tranghese, Rosenthal and the Big East did in 1994.

The funny thing, and the difference then, was that the Big East, was completely vocal about the move being basketball related, and not football for the conference, and that Notre Dame was very happy with their new football arrangement - which was entirely one sided for them.

Reaction Score
Look - can it be more clear yet, that ESPN wants the Big East basketball conference to die?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Look - can it be more clear yet, that ESPN wants the Big East basketball conference to die?

its the opposite carl, they want the fball conf to die. they would love for the bball schools to split right now and combine with some a10/bulter type schools and form a 16 team bball league. then espn could give that league 2 or 3 mil a team and everyone is happy. those schools get good $, they stay relevant at the bball table ncaa wise and espn gets programing in the winter on off days and filler times around the big boys.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score

That isn't exactly correct. ESPN wants the Big East football conference to die. Big East basketball is just an unintended casualty at this point. The ESPN still wants the BE basketball conference (albeit at a bargain price).

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
With 5 mandated ND <> ACC games, can a 15 team football conference work scheduling wise?
It will be a 14 member football conference. ND's games against ACC members will be to help television value for ACC home games and will be ND's cost of remaining indy.

Is the $50 million dollar buyout effective immediately? If not, what is the window for the ACC FB schools to bolt?
Normally I would imagine that the increase would be effective as of some future date (ND's joining for example) but considering the landscape (and that the B-12 or SEC may see a limited window and attempt to strike) in this case my guess would be effective immediately.

If the buyout is effective immediately, does this shift the leverage to tobacco road? Under this new leverage shift, can Uconn get 16?
My best guess is that if the day arrives where ND joins for football we will be the odds on favorite. Unfortunately, this is like the high school geek who does the hot girl's homework and is constantly promised that once she is out of her current relationship he can be her boyfriend yet she always has a new boyfriend before she tells him the last relationship ended. We'll be waiting at home every Saturday night while she's screwing some jock in the backseat of his car. Perhaps when you meet her at the 40th reunion and she's a bit too worn for the wear we'll finally get our shot.

Speculation, as the title requested.

Reaction Score
its the opposite carl, they want the fball conf to die. they would love for the bball schools to split right now and combine with some a10/bulter type schools and form a 16 team bball league. then espn could give that league 2 or 3 mil a team and everyone is happy. those schools get good $, they stay relevant at the bball table ncaa wise and espn gets programing in the winter on off days and filler times around the big boys.

I disagree, what's at stake, is the weeknight live sports college basketball programming all winter long, in the largest media markets in teh country. If the big east basketball conference dies, ESPN is poised to buy up all the most valueable real estate at dirt cheap prices, while the blood is still running on the ground.

Killing off big east football, wouldn't accomplish the task.

Reaction Score
You lost me on that carl.

It's ok, things will be a lot more clear in a few weeks for everybody. I think ESPN, is doing everything they possibly can, to make it seem like the Big East is holding a pair of deuces at the table, before they go all in - at which time, we will inevitably call the bluff and see what everybody else at the table is holding.

Reaction Score
$50m buyout>?

We have seen this litigated. BC & the BE. They say it is effective immediately; but, I am willing there is wiggle room until there is no wiggle room. (ie. DEFINITIVE OPERATING AGREEMENT - Contractual)

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Small person observer. Go create value somewhere. Make your life better. Make someone else's life better. There's happiness and reward in that.

This..........just small and narrow people stuff.

Have a good life my friend.

Reaction Score
Is it at all possible ESPN is trying to minimize the NBC sports network by weakening the Big East AND preparing to offer ND a price they can't refuse whenever their NBC contract is up?

That leaves NBC with didley squat.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Close Sportsart.

This move killed any chance of NBC building something that at some point could compete with ESPN as a relevant 24/7/365 Sports channel. One stray BCS school (even if it is ND) on NBC is no more of a threat than the deal the SEC has with CBS. An entire conference's athletic slate as filler for a fledgling sports channel (I remember indoor soccer on ESPN 30 years ago) could play a huge role in allowing a major network to build something that can become very large down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom