OT: - Cuonzo Martin a Husky? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Cuonzo Martin a Husky?

Reaction Score
I remember the Sunday Norwich Bulletin with Peter Abraham (who has since been a beat writer for the Red Sox, Mets, and Yankees) having incredible coverage. There was Husky Blue and White, my dad subscribed to Bob Gibbons and the Recruiters Handbook and then there were the super early incarnations of the BY with insiders. One guy, named Jeff Kulas I think, was my go-to guy in those days. He would give info, respond to emails, etc. Super nice guy.

Reaction Score
There are quite a few things that people our age (I'm pretty confident you and are are within a year or so of each other) had to endure that those from the information age could never understand.

Every few years I hold a contest with kids fresh out of school to see who (without use of the internet) can explain what "the Reader's Guide to Periodicals" was, how it was used and why people used it.

Research papers from high school throughout undergrad (and even my first couple of hard school classes) needed that to source material for the papers.
The Big Green books, IIRC.

But don’t you first have to explain what a “periodical” is? Or do you first have to start with “magazine”?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The Big Green books, IIRC.

But don’t you first have to explain what a “periodical” is? Or do you first have to start with “magazine”?
I would let them try to figure that out as part of the challenge.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
For UConn, Husky Blue and White magazine was the best source of UConn basketball recruiting info. And, the beat writers did a more thorough job then they do today as newspapers were more relevant.
I believe UConn had the largest number of permanently assigned reporters covering the team of any program in the country back then. So many local papers all put a guy on the team. That's where The Horde nickname came from.

For those of that certain age, do you occasionally miss the pre-internet era? To live in the moment and ignore what's going on in the wider world now requires a conscious act of will. Then it was the norm, and I think people were generally happier for it.

Reaction Score
I remember the Sunday Norwich Bulletin with Peter Abraham (who has since been a beat writer for the Red Sox, Mets, and Yankees) having incredible coverage. There was Husky Blue and White, my dad subscribed to Bob Gibbons and the Recruiters Handbook and then there were the super early incarnations of the BY with insiders. One guy, named Jeff Kulas I think, was my go-to guy in those days. He would give info, respond to emails, etc. Super nice guy.
Jeff used to work at Aetna and was friends with someone I worked with there. He would talk to us about all the kinds of recruiting information and was a guest on Arnold Dean's show once in a while. He gave me copies of the Bob Gibbons' All Star Reports recruiting rankings back in the early to mid 1990s when those were the only rankings I think existed. Jeff was on the Boneyard at one point. Wonder if he's still on here and what he's doing now.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Jeff was on the Boneyard at one point. Wonder if he's still on here and what he's doing now.
I remember JKul (The Kool One) from the Husky board on AOL. My favorite poster back then.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Street & Smith mag?
Yep and the Sporting News had a decent college hoops magazine as well. Slam! was more about the NBA but mixed in the top high school players.

DCT

Reaction Score
The JI was pretty good tracking this stuff. Also, when WTIC had their sports talk show, recruiting gurus were frequent guests. Others can talk about Husky Blue and White better than I.
Eastern Basketball Magazine

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom