Cubs gonna break the curse? | The Boneyard

Cubs gonna break the curse?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Their team is stacked for next year. How about this lineup?

C Miguel Montero
1B Anthony Rizzo
2B Ben Zobrist
SS Addison Russell
3B Kris Bryant
LF Kyle Schwarber
CF Jason Heyward
RF Jorge Soler

Reaction Score
Arrieta had an amazing season and flamed out in the 1st inning of 1 playoff game vs the Mets giving up 3 runs, then getting out pitched by Syndergaard. If he doesn't have postseason goat in his genes (and I don't think he does) and uses that experience to fuel him this year, he's going to be scary with that lineup behind him now.

Reaction Score
Cubs are a force for years to come if they pitch.

But that Jason Heyward deal is beyond insane. 7/184 for a 280-12-65 guy with a hole in his swing??!! WTF.

Bryce Harper and Mike Trout may get $1 billion dollar contracts if Heyward is the gauge.

And remember Heyward when owners start whining about contracts, how unfair it is, blah blah blah.

Reaction Score
Cubs are a force for years to come if they pitch.

But that Jason Heyward deal is beyond insane. 7/184 for a 280-12-65 guy with a hole in his swing??!! WTF.

Bryce Harper and Mike Trout may get $1 billion dollar contracts if Heyward is the gauge.

And remember Heyward when owners start whining about contracts, how unfair it is, blah blah blah.

6.5 WAR last year, 6.2 the year before.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
6.5 WAR last year, 6.2 the year before.

If you subscribe to the algorithms for determining dWAR and WAR. IMO, dWAR is weighted too highly given the foundation to determine it is flawed.

Anyway, the Dodgers were loaded and were only the 4th best team in the NL and couldn't get by the 5th best team, which went to the WS. Nats were loaded and didn't make the playoffs. The NL Central is still the toughest division in MLB. Cubs are definitely talented, but lots of stuff can happen. A stacked roster can get you to the playoffs. After that it's all a crapshoot.

Reaction Score
If you subscribe to the algorithms for determining dWAR and WAR. IMO, dWAR is weighted too highly given the foundation to determine it is flawed.

I agree that dWAR is flawed, I was just giving a reason why he got so much. All I needed was to see Mattingly rated as a horrible first baseman by dWAR to know it was flawed.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Cubs bullpen is their weak link. I've got a trade for you guys: Andrew Miller and Brett Gardner for Jorge Soler, Javier Baez, and CJ Edwards.

Miller becomes CP. Gardner to CF as leadoff hitter, shifts Heyward back to RF to take the place of Soler. Both contracts are reasonable but Yanks could chip in some cash.

Soler plays LF in 2016 then shifts to RF after Beltran retires. Baez is the INF backup at SS, 2B and 3B. Headley can play 1B when Tex needs a day and Baez plays 3B. Can easily find 300-400 ABs for him given Tex will likely get hurt again and they can shift Headley over or call up Bird for platoon. Edwards gives Yanks a high minors plus arm that might even be able to contribute in 2016. Top of the rotation stuff.

Eh? Meh? Hmmmm?

Reaction Score
Cubs bullpen is their weak link. I've got a trade for you guys: Andrew Miller and Brett Gardner for Jorge Soler, Javier Baez, and CJ Edwards.

Miller becomes CP. Gardner to CF as leadoff hitter, shifts Heyward back to RF to take the place of Soler. Both contracts are reasonable but Yanks could chip in some cash.

Soler plays LF in 2016 then shifts to RF after Beltran retires. Baez is the INF backup at SS, 2B and 3B. Headley can play 1B when Tex needs a day and Baez plays 3B. Can easily find 300-400 ABs for him given Tex will likely get hurt again and they can shift Headley over or call up Bird for platoon. Edwards gives Yanks a high minors plus arm that might even be able to contribute in 2016. Top of the rotation stuff.

Eh? Meh? Hmmmm?

I like the trade, nicely thought out. One thing I disagree on is "calling up" Bird. Kids a good hitter and will only bet better, may need to work him out in the OF all winter and spring so he can get ABs and time at different spots as well as DH.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Eh? Meh? Hmmmm?

I don't see the Yanks getting Soler AND Baez. Miller's got a lot of value, but Gardner is a 32-year-old whose value is dependent on his speed...can't see him yielding that much in a trade at this point.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Nope. Mets will beat them again.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
It always sucks facing Arrieta, but yesterday's game was especially sucky because it's simply unfair to face Arrieta AND have the Cubs get lucky bounces. Bucs were poised to put up a crooked number - one out, 2 runs already in, runner at third. Arrieta drills Kang between the numbers to set up a double play. Josh Harrison then lines a ball off Arrieta's foot and instead of going into center for another run, it pops right into Zobrist's glove at 2b for a custom-made 4-6-3 DP.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom