Ct Sun Waive Shayla Cooper Danielle Adams Joins Team | The Boneyard

Ct Sun Waive Shayla Cooper Danielle Adams Joins Team

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Adams Joins Sun, Cooper Waived - Connecticut Sun

Shayla was the 1st pick in the 2nd Round. Shayla didn't get a chance due to the Roster limitation of 15 players.

Cooper should get picked up by another team at least through the end of training camp. The Sun must think highly of the 5 year veteran Adams. She was waived by the Stars at the end of the 2015 season.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Cooper would work well in Seattle. They should give her a look/see.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Shayla will play in the W somewhere at some point if she hangs tough. With the 12 player limit, there are very few teams that can afford to take on a rookie with the goal of development for the future. Sorry to see her go. I'm also pretty skeptical about Danielle Adams chances, too. She has talents but seems ill suited to Coach Curt's preferred style of play.

Reaction Score
Shayla will play in the W somewhere at some point if she hangs tough. With the 12 player limit, there are very few teams that can afford to take on a rookie with the goal of development for the future. Sorry to see her go. I'm also pretty skeptical about Danielle Adams chances, too. She has talents but seems ill suited to Coach Curt's preferred style of play.

I think her weight problem caught up with her in SA. If she has slimmed down maybe she can play in the WNBA again.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Cooper should get picked up by another team at least through the end of training camp. The Sun must think highly of the 5 year veteran Adams. She was waived by the Stars at the end of the 2015 season.

Getting cut this early in training camp is a *bad* sign for Cooper's future WNBA prospects. Granted, they needed to make room, but it's telling they chose to cut a rookie rather than a relatively expendable veteran, of which they have a large supply.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The #13 player chosen in the draft is cut 4 days after training camp opens. Not a good sign.

psconn

Reaction Score
Will Strickland make the team?

You mean Stricklen? (shame on you, Tennessee fan)
Her 2016 numbers were well off from her career average. Shekinna Stricklen - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA
Although I projected her to make the team, I think she could be near the bubble. She was acquired as a shooter/scorer but her percentages aren't impressive and her D is not stellar either. Coach Curt said that a really good guard would be cut... could it be Strick? We'll see.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Her 2016 numbers were well off from her career average. Shekinna Stricklen - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA
Although I projected her to make the team, I think she could be near the bubble. She was acquired as a shooter/scorer but her percentages aren't impressive and her D is not stellar either. Coach Curt said that a really good guard would be cut... could it be Strick? We'll see.
It was auto correct that spelling. I do hope she make a team if not there then another team. I do know that she can score in bunches. Thanks for the link.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Guaranteed contract.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Getting cut this early in training camp is a *bad* sign for Cooper's future WNBA prospects. Granted, they needed to make room, but it's telling they chose to cut a rookie rather than a relatively expendable veteran, of which they have a large supply.

I was thinking the same thing. They are going to pay Adams a lot more than they would have had to pay her. I realize that Adams has 5 years of WNBA experience and a NC under her belt. I was really hoping Cooper would make the cut. Too bad she couldn't even make the week.

psconn

Reaction Score
Guaranteed contract.

Thanks David. But help me with that... as I understand it, that means she can't be waived but could be traded. She would not be able to refuse a trade as long as her contract was fulfilled by someone. Is that right? Definitely makes it unlikely she'll go anywhere this year if that is the case. Is this the last year of her contract?

Reaction Score
Thanks David. But help me with that... as I understand it, that means she can't be waived but could be traded. She would not be able to refuse a trade as long as her contract was fulfilled by someone. Is that right? Definitely makes it unlikely she'll go anywhere this year if that is the case. Is this the last year of her contract?

She can be waived, but more likely if they wanted to get rid of a person with a guaranteed contract they would buy her out for an amount that could be a contentious debate. Whatever they pay counts against the cap, so if they need someone mid-year, it could be a problem.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Wait a minute, a player didn't get a chance because there are only 15 slots on a roster? That means she had a shot and was not one of the 15 best players, not that she didn't get a shot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom