OT: CT State HS Basketball Tourney? | The Boneyard

OT: CT State HS Basketball Tourney?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Bunch of schools cancelling classes, large groups being discouraged...…………………………..gotta wonder what the state will do with the HS basketball tourney games? No crowds? Delay? Cancel?

Reaction Score
CIAC just announced they've canceled all tournament games.

Reaction Score
That really is a shame. Especially, for the schools that are really good this year and planned to battle for a state title.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I feel bad for the kids, but not the ciac.

a clown car idiot organization who continues to hurt the small public schools to protect the AAU teams...I mean private schools.

my own hs has been screwed by these idiots on multiple occasions. Making an S size school play at the L level with their formulas.

Reaction Score

a clown car idiot organization who continues to hurt the small public schools to protect the AAU teams...I mean private schools.

my own hs has been screwed by these idiots on multiple occasions. Making an S size school play at the L level with their formulas.
they make a mess of soccer every year, it's a clownshow.

Reaction Score
Have things really come to this? Ivy League cancelled their tournament as well.

Reaction Score
Dang, feel for the kids here. First the Ivy League tourney, now this. I’m starting to wonder if it may lead to a snowball affect where other tournaments start following suit. I’d imagine the NCAA will do everything in its power to keep March Madness tourney, but wouldn’t be surprised if the NIT, CBI etc are no longer played.

Reaction Score
It will be a serious loss of revenue for each tourney. I was on a call yesterday where a group was asking the Governor to declare a state of emergency so they could collect insurance but it can be justified at this point.

Reaction Score
Dang, feel for the kids here. First the Ivy League tourney, now this. I’m starting to wonder if it may lead to a snowball affect where other tournaments start following suit. I’d imagine the NCAA will do everything in its power to keep March Madness tourney, but wouldn’t be surprised if the NIT, CBI etc are no longer played.
I agree, but Im just worried this will cause a domino effect when it comes to this kind of thing.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'm just assuming the state shuts down at some point. Seems to be headed in that direction.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Our high school (Cromwell) is having 2 half days this week to give the school a major cleaning. They've already added antibacterial dispensers in multiple locations. They are also taking one of those 1/2 days to do contingency planning for the possibility that the school gets closed.

Reaction Score

Immaculate grad?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
It will be a serious loss of revenue for each tourney. I was on a call yesterday where a group was asking the Governor to declare a state of emergency so they could collect insurance but it can be justified at this point.
Federal money was announced as well. Seems like a gross overreaction to me.

Reaction Score
Had a brief meeting with my team after school. The seniors are absolutely devastated. Especially for kids who won't play in college.. this is it for them. They will never play again.

I understand the decision.. just wish we could have done it with no fans. Or just immediate family

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
This is getting out of hand. I have not changed one thing about my life since this nonsense started and I do not intend to, whatsoever. If the AAC tournament was in Hartford this year, I'd be there. I am considering a trip to the Garden this weekend. See you there, with no face mask on. I may even start washing my hands less to prove a point.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
They could’ve finished the high school basketball tournaments. Just play the games at the High Schools. Just decide who deserves home court and only have the players, coaches , media and refs present. Maybe just record the games for public access television for live coverage or replay. Many are saying that the cancellations are tied into the CIAC not being able to charge for tickets. Smh

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There’s a petition with about 45k+ signatures already. It’s unbelievable if they stick with this decision. Horrible, awful, terrible decision in the 1st place.

Petition

Reaction Score
This is getting out of hand. I have not changed one thing about my life since this nonsense started and I do not intend to, whatsoever. If the AAC tournament was in Hartford this year, I'd be there. I am considering a trip to the Garden this weekend. See you there, with no face mask on. I may even start washing my hands less to prove a point.

I mean that's cool and great and you'll probably be fine but if you do contract Coronavirus you could easily pass it along to someone who is immunocompromised.

That's the whole point of social isolation. To avoid infecting our most vulnerable members of society. Personally I am extremely low-risk, but I will also do what I can to avoid putting myself in risky situations so I don't pass it to someone who doesn't have the luxury of not caring.

Reaction Score
Considering that high school kids are not really at risk, what is the point?

We should always be careful around elderly or ill individuals. Moreso now. But to stop the entire society from living their lives seems excessive. Flu of all kinds can be deadly. These are the numbers for Connecticut in the past few years.

Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 10.25.29 AM.png

Last edited:

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score

I hope you’re joking because this is incredible callous.

Reaction Score
Wow! Head bang

Reaction Score
COVID19 Is serious and can’t be ignored, but Overreaction to this situation is rapidly snowballing out of control in this state.

A solution other than cancelling the tourney that still minimized risks could have been developed.

As of today, only 2 people have tested positive of the 56 tested so far. In order to be tested, you have to be sick enough to be admitted to a hospital for care and have enough risk factors and clinical and laboratory findings to raise suspicion for COVID. Clearly this can change as the situation goes forward, but so far, over 96% of people with more severe respiratory illnesses suspicious for COVID are by and large infected with other pathogens.

Reaction Score
Had a brief meeting with my team after school. The seniors are absolutely devastated. Especially for kids who won't play in college.. this is it for them. They will never play again.

I understand the decision.. just wish we could have done it with no fans. Or just immediate family
If the kids are in school, then there is no reason not to play in empty gyms. It's okay to go to school with hundreds (possibly thousands) of other kids, but not okay to play in an empty gym with 30+/- others?

Reaction Score
Considering that high school kids are not really at risk, what is the point?

We should always be careful around elderly or ill individuals. Moreso now. But to stop the entire society from living their lives seems excessive. Flu of all kinds can be deadly. These are the numbers for Connecticut in the past few years.

View attachment 51820
I disagree with cancelling the tournaments.

But I'm still amazed at how many people don't understand the alarming differences between this and the regular flu.

We don't even know if this thing has a "season" like the flu.

Until people accept the fact that they could have this thing for a week or two without knowing it, all the while passing it on to others, they won't understand the seriousness.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom