OT: CT State HS Basketball Tourney? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: CT State HS Basketball Tourney?

Reaction Score
I feel bad for the kids, but not the ciac.

a clown car idiot organization who continues to hurt the small public schools to protect the AAU teams...I mean private schools.

my own hs has been screwed by these idiots on multiple occasions. Making an S size school play at the L level with their formulas.

Can you even imagine how stupid it is to compare a decision to cancel the tournament in an attempt to save lives with whether or not you like the way the CIAC classifies private schools?

Reaction Score
Could this decision to cancel be any dumber? Let’s cancel the entire state tourney -which some seniors have prolly waited their whole lives for - but let’s keep schools open with 1000 kids packed in like sardines 5 days a week fir 7 hours. Logical

Reaction Score
You can go 2 weeks without symptoms and still spread it.

Yes, this is true, but based on available evidence so far, it is the exception rather than the rule.

The highest viral titers (and thus relative infectivity) are when COVID19 positive patients have been symptomatic. Asymptomatic patients seem to be most likely to be able to spread it to very close, long duration contacts (i.e., family, people who live with said asymptomatic patient). Your chances of acquiring COVID19 from an asypmtomatic carrier based on a 1-2 hour exposure time in a gymnasium are going to be really, really low (unless you're right next to them and doing high risk transfer behaviors).

The spread of this virus (and all respiratory viruses) cannot be realistically stopped. Just slowed and contained. Most importantly, this is to make sure that the fairly rare folks that get really sick from it can get appropriate medical care.

Setting up a mitigation plan that limited attendees of the CIAC tourney events to a smaller number of asymptomatic people would definitely be in line with the overall goals of dealing with COVID19 from a public health perspective.

BTW, I listened to the CIAC director's interview on the radio this morning w/ Joe D. Not once did he mention that the decision was driven by direct consultation with epidemiologists/scientists/etc. It was all "superintendents", "mayors", "governors office", etc. Not that those groups haven't been briefed on the science of it by anyone. But the way he presented it makes me think there was a very strong political element to the decision (even as simple as it could help Lamont to check certain boxes to justify the "medical state of emergency" to the federal government to try and lobby for $$$, more tests, etc.--which may not be an inherently bad thing, btw).

Interesting times, to say the least.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
This is gonna affect AAU season also. Smh

Reaction Score
So the sad reality is that we have two confirmed cases but none of the major hospitals have tests. So anyone who goes to the hospitals won’t be tested.
The test go to the state labs, every state has them. There has been a million sent out. Expecting up to 4 million sent by the end of the week.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I could understand if hundreds or thousands were infected, but 2....ridiculous overreaction by the CIAC. Play without crowds, immediately family only. If I were a senior, I would be furious.
It just showed up in the state 2 today. 4 tomorrow...

Reaction Score
Typical Jacobs. Fever, cough and breathlessness are the major symptoms and all can be evaluated among the players, coaches, other staff and all their family members. If they have not encountered anyone with the virus, or symptoms, and there are no positives there is little likelihood playing games in empty gyms would create problems beyond what people will experience when food shopping or engaging in other activities that are not being shut down.
There were no tests until yesterday...the backlog for test results is 7,000 for Cali alone. Think before you emote. You know nothing.

Reaction Score
The test go to the state labs, every state has them. There has been a million sent out. Expecting up to 4 million sent by the end of the week.
See my comment on the backlog. I am not making this up.

Reaction Score
Yes, this is true, but based on available evidence so far, it is the exception rather than the rule.

The highest viral titers (and thus relative infectivity) are when COVID19 positive patients have been symptomatic. Asymptomatic patients seem to be most likely to be able to spread it to very close, long duration contacts (i.e., family, people who live with said asymptomatic patient). Your chances of acquiring COVID19 from an asypmtomatic carrier based on a 1-2 hour exposure time in a gymnasium are going to be really, really low (unless you're right next to them and doing high risk transfer behaviors).

The spread of this virus (and all respiratory viruses) cannot be realistically stopped. Just slowed and contained. Most importantly, this is to make sure that the fairly rare folks that get really sick from it can get appropriate medical care.

Setting up a mitigation plan that limited attendees of the CIAC tourney events to a smaller number of asymptomatic people would definitely be in line with the overall goals of dealing with COVID19 from a public health perspective.

BTW, I listened to the CIAC director's interview on the radio this morning w/ Joe D. Not once did he mention that the decision was driven by direct consultation with epidemiologists/scientists/etc. It was all "superintendents", "mayors", "governors office", etc. Not that those groups haven't been briefed on the science of it by anyone. But the way he presented it makes me think there was a very strong political element to the decision (even as simple as it could help Lamont to check certain boxes to justify the "medical state of emergency" to the federal government to try and lobby for $$$, more tests, etc.--which may not be an inherently bad thing, btw).

Interesting times, to say the least.

Your conspiracy theories are too much. The Gov is making decisions based on recommendations by the CDC and DOH. Also, a state of emergency triggers insurance policies (and many other extremely beneficial government abilities) that will ensure the CIAC and our vulnerable loved ones will be there next year.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Lol, people who think that suspending games is an overreaction don't care about old people. The issue isn't young people getting it, the issue is young people getting it and spreading it to their parents who spread it to their parents. Want to see a lot of old people die, continue to play high school sports...Sports can take a backseat for a couple months in America we'll be okay.

Reaction Score
Lol, people who think that suspending games is an overreaction don't care about old people. The issue isn't young people getting it, the issue is young people getting it and spreading it to their parents who spread it to their parents. Want to see a lot of old people die, continue to play high school sports...Sports can take a backseat for a couple months in America we'll be okay.
Lamont who I haven’t been very high with really has been all over this since day 1. Really been impressed with the states response. Glad the kids will be safe.

Reaction Score
Lamont who I haven’t been very high with really has been all over this since day 1. Really been impressed with the states response. Glad the kids will be safe.
State is all over this. They promoted Josh Geballe at the right time. He’s been all over this From his first day as COO. Governor is getting his act together with the latest shuffle of staff. I’m impressed with how organized, calm and proactive the State is right now.

Reaction Score
nah. I went to school at one of small towns. Not my team that was affected but the year after me and then a recent year. Absolutely ridiculous crap that criminal cartel pulls. The ciac makes the bcs look like a brilliant organization.
There are a few out there, my first thought was Immaculate who's in D1 now despite having 400 kids....

But at the same time, Sacred Heart has around the same attendance, so who knows.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
There are a few out there, my first thought was Immaculate who's in D1 now despite having 400 kids....

But at the same time, Sacred Heart has around the same attendance, so who knows.

every private school should be playing either against the LL sized schools or in their own state tournament.

Reaction Score
every private school should be playing either against the LL sized schools or in their own state tournament.

I believe they should have their own tournament. Save the less wealthy private schools from having to pay the NEPSAC fees (and get the CIAC some more money) and also keep it fair for the public schools.

For --Northwest Catholic is in DIVISION THREE and has a starting 5 of kids all playing D2 or better. It's stupid.

the Q

Reaction Score
I believe they should have their own tournament. Save the less wealthy private schools from having to pay the NEPSAC fees (and get the CIAC some more money) and also keep it fair for the public schools.

For --Northwest Catholic is in DIVISION THREE and has a starting 5 of kids all playing D2 or better. It's stupid.

I agree. That’s a lot of common sense from the ciac though....far too much.

Reaction Score
This is getting out of hand. I have not changed one thing about my life since this nonsense started and I do not intend to, whatsoever. If the AAC tournament was in Hartford this year, I'd be there. I am considering a trip to the Garden this weekend. See you there, with no face mask on. I may even start washing my hands less to prove a point.
Well said....

Reaction Score

Immaculate gives out almost no scholarships anymore since their school has been at capacity for quite some time. They no way shape or form should be a D1 team.

While we’re at it the other school in town, Danbury High, has no excuse to be so bad with the highest attendance in the state.

the Q

Reaction Score
Immaculate gives out almost no scholarships anymore since their school has been at capacity for quite some time. They no way shape or form should be a D1 team.

While we’re at it the other school in town, Danbury High, has no excuse to be so bad with the highest attendance in the state.

How many towns do they pull from?

Each kid, add that towns population.

You still end up in division 1.

Reaction Score
How many towns do they pull from?

Each kid, add that towns population.

You still end up in division 1.

If they're not offering scholarships ( I believe they had 1 on this years team) it doesn't matter how many towns they're pulling from. They still have to choose from the 400 kids whose parents decided to send them there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom