CT Prep stars and UConn recruits shine at Super 7 Showcase | The Boneyard

CT Prep stars and UConn recruits shine at Super 7 Showcase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
By Ben Larsen | ESPNBoston.com
WILBRAHAM -- The knock on Western Massachusetts football is that, despite the number of athletes in and around Springfield, they typically don’t get to experience the in-season matchups that warrant serious looks from NCAA Division I football programs.

That may change following the region’s terrific showing at the Super 7 Showcase Saturday, held by Elite Athlete Development at Wilbraham & Monson Academy.

Featuring many top-level recruits from Connecticut and New York, the top players from the Springfield area had the opportunity to compete against competition that’s on another level compared to what they’ll see during the high school football season. A quick glimpse at the post-camp awards will prove that they certainly didn’t waste the opportunity.

In fact, some of the names likely to make headlines this fall, dominated the camp and showed they can play with other top northeast recruits.

Springfiel Central’s Aaron Owens took home the camp’s Most Valuable Player Award. The incoming senior, who was used in various capacities for the Golden Eagles last season, showed an ability to stay with the camp’s receiving corps, which included Manchester (Conn.) tight end Andrew Isaacs and Tottenville (NY) wide receiver Malique Belfort --- who combine to boast 12 Division I offers.

Owens was also in perfect timing with Central quarterback Cody Williams, who took home hardware as the showcase’s Top Offensive Player.

All told in addition to Owens’ and Williams’ honors, Springfield players garnered four top positional awards. Central’s Shawn Lockett won top offensive lineman while Sha’ki Holines of Commerce took home the top defensive lineman award. Commerce’s Hasan Graham was the No. 1 linebacker and Rishawn Harris of Putnam won the event’s top defensive back award.

HOLINES UNVEILS LATEST OFFER
Holines made news earlier this summer with a verbal commitment to UMass. Given his showings at camps similar to the Super 7 Showcase, he’s bound to get even more interest and offers leading up to signing day.

UConn is the latest school to offer the 6-foot-3, 265-pound defensive lineman/linebacker.

He received the camp’s top defensive lineman award for his ability to dominate the 1-on-1 positional drills.

Holines has also received attention from the University of Maine.
Holines was instrumental in the Red Raiders’ turnaround and run to the Division II Western Mass. Super Bowl last season. He recorded 132 tackles with six sacks and four fumbles recovered.

CONNECTICUT YOUTH SHINES
Two of the more talked-about players from the Super 7 Showcase were from the Nutmeg State.

Arkeel Newsome, an incoming junior at Ansonia, took home the top running back award. Given his 2011 accomplishments, it’s easy to see why.

The shifty back ran for an eye-popping 3,763 yards and scored 62 touchdowns as Ansonia went 14-0 en route to the Class M state title.

Newsome already has offers from UConn and UMass and that list is likely to grow.

Isaiah Wright, who’ll be just a sophomore this fall at Holy Cross in Waterbury, made a number of great plays at the wide receiver position.

NEW YORK STATE OF MIND
Two players from Staten Island were as impressive as any duo at the Super 7 Showcase.

Belfort, the 6-foot-4, 170-pounder from Tottenville, took home the camp’s top wide receiver honor. He was equally effective on deep balls as he was going across the middle. His unique combination of height and speed made it hard for defenders all day long.

Belfort is mulling offers from numerous BCS schools, including Arizona State, Boston College, UConn, Illinois, Ole Miss, Tennessee and Virginia.

Naby Sylla hails from nearby Port Richmond High School and was equally impressive on the defensive side of the ball. The 5-foot-8 cornerback earned the camp’s top defensive player award and showed great speed and instincts in one-on-one drills and the 7-on-7 portion of the event.

Sylla has interest from UConn, West Virginia, Albany and Syracuse.

AWARD WINNERS
The camp awarded numerous honors following the camp. The complete list is as follows:

Camp MVP: Aaron Owens RB/DB, Central (MA)
Top Offensive Player: Cody Williams QB, Cental (MA)
Top Defensive Player: Naby Sylla CB, Port Richmond (NY)

Offensive Line
2nd Place: Ismael Figueroa, Springfield Central (MA)
1st Place: Shawn Lockett, Springfield Central (MA)

Defensive Line
2nd Place: George Blake, East Longmeadow (MA)
1st Place: Sha’ki Holines, Commerce (MA)

Tight End
2nd Place: Raishawn Finney, Ansonia (CT)
1st Place: Andrew Isaacs, Manchester (CT)

Quarterback
3rd Place: Blake Rise, Stafford (CT)
2nd Place: Kayjuan Bynum, Putnam (MA)
1st Place: JaQuan McKnight, Ansonia (CT)

Wide Receiver
5th Place: Mecca Gonzalez, Putnam (MA)
4th Place: Isaiah Wright, Holy Cross (CT)
3rd Place: Tavis Frasier, Putnam (MA)
2nd Place: Sam Blake, East Longmeadow (CT)
1st Place: Malique Belfort, Tottenhill (NY)

Running back
2nd Place: Wayne Lowery, Putnam (MA)
1st Place: Arkeel Newsome, Ansonia (CT)

Linebacker
2nd Place: Kyle Soja, Chicopee Comp (MA)
1st Place: Hasan Graham, Commerce (MA)

Defensive Back
3rd Place: Devontae Sewell, Commerce (MA)
2nd Place: Terrell Huff, Windsor (CT)
1st Place: Rishawn Harris, Putnam (MA)

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
thanks for posting keith, i remember last year when talking to my dobbs connect that he was bringing newsome around with dobbs to thing but also already getting mcknight involved even tho he was like a frosh i think if i remember correctly. i remember him being just a ath...is he developing into a legit qb or just playing that position for now? could be a monster athletic qb if so...

-love how holiness is getting more good looks, i still want him. not sure what the deal is at this point tho. uconn should be able to get him to commit unless there is some type of grades issue.

-huff will be a class filler for us this winter if we dont land another db, otherwise i expect him to be a umass commit unless another big school finds out about him and offers(good ole iowa). hes a fringe recruit, RE would have had him by now and based off the two offers the staff had commit at that position lately im confused. anyway. good luck to the kid.

-graham seems to be rising stock lately

-how tall is wright? and is he 13 or 14 class wise?

-any news on finney recruit wise?

-i wonder what cc belfort is going to pick and when hes going to do so

Reaction Score
thanks for posting keith, i remember last year when talking to my dobbs connect that he was bringing newsome around with dobbs to thing but also already getting mcknight involved even tho he was like a frosh i think if i remember correctly. i remember him being just a ath...is he developing into a legit qb or just playing that position for now? could be a monster athletic qb if so...
McKnight (5'10, 185/2015) saw a lot of varsity action as a frosh in 2011, as a starter on defense. He is a dynamic athlete with very good size, speed, and strength. He did see action on offense at RB, rushing 52 times for 388 yards, 3 TDs. He was not expected to be the starting QB in 2012, but an injury to Lester (also an athletic QB, with blazing speed, and a big arm) thrust him into that role. McKnight did play QB for the freshman team so he has the ability and competed for the starting QB spot during spring ball. Although he was expected to play RB/WR this season, I think he will be the Ansonia's starter at QB for the next 3 years, if Lester's injury keeps him out. He'll be that good.
-love how holiness is getting more good looks, i still want him. not sure what the deal is at this point tho. uconn should be able to get him to commit unless there is some type of grades issue.

-huff will be a class filler for us this winter if we dont land another db, otherwise i expect him to be a umass commit unless another big school finds out about him and offers(good ole iowa). hes a fringe recruit, RE would have had him by now and based off the two offers the staff had commit at that position lately im confused. anyway. good luck to the kid.

-graham seems to be rising stock lately

-how tall is wright? and is he 13 or 14 class wise?
Wright (6'1, 180) is also a 2015 recruit. Although he had an outstanding season at WR (400+ yards, 3 TDs), he was even better as a PR/KR and at DB (8 INTs).

-any news on finney recruit wise?
Finney (6'2, 190/2013) is moving from WR to TE. He gives McKnight a long athletic target to go to on play-action. However, his biggest move will be from the secondary to DE. He will be a terror as a pass rusher. Ansonia loses a good one in LaRovera. Finney will step in and have an immediate impact as a speed rusher. He is an athletic kid who loves to throw his body around. He could have made a highlight film with some of the big hits he had last year, as a WR and DB. I haven't heard anything recruiting wise, but his frame and athleticism should garner some interest.
-i wonder what cc belfort is going to pick and when hes going to do so

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22