CT Lawmakers asked to update student-athlete compensation (NIL) law (Norwich Bulletin) | The Boneyard

CT Lawmakers asked to update student-athlete compensation (NIL) law (Norwich Bulletin)

Reaction Score

-> Connecticut lawmakers have been asked to update last year’s state law that allows student-athletes to be compensated for their name and likeness in marketing deals and enable them to use their state college or university’s logo, mascot or other institutional marks when they’re pitching products like sports drinks and apparel. <-

-> “None of us want to inhibit the ability of our outstanding coaches to recruit talented student-athletes to UConn,” said Neal Eskin, executive associate athletic director at UConn, in recent testimony. “In order to compete at the highest level, we must make certain that student-athletes who choose to enroll in college in Connecticut have the same opportunities as those at schools in other states.” <-

-> On Thursday, with no debate, members of the Connecticut legislature’s Higher Education and Employment Advancement Committee unanimously advanced a bill that would end the prohibition on using school logos. It awaits further action in the state Senate. Rep. Josh Elliott, D-Hamden, the committee’s co-chair, said the legislation had been requested by UConn. <-

Reaction Score
Wait am I reading this right? The CT lawmakers are doing something that actually makes sense? That actually can help both CT and the students? Are pigs flying?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This has always been comical.

Like Calhoun would do a bank commercial and be famous basketball coach.
I get the idea behind it at least as far as NIL is concerned. I think the original notion is that if the school doesn’t control the negotiation, then they shouldn’t give up the rights to their brand, probably mostly just to void a potential conflict.

For example, if school A is a Nike school but athlete X gets a deal with Reebok, or whomever, does the fact that athlete X is wearing the schools jersey is a Reebok ad devalue the schools deal with Nike?

On the other hand, is it beneficial to get your logos and word marks as widely disseminated as possible?

I haven’t read the legislation but my guess is it merely allows the school to give permission for scholarship athletes to use it’s copyrighted trademarks and images.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I get the idea behind it at least as far as NIL is concerned. I think the original notion is that if the school doesn’t control the negotiation, then they shouldn’t give up the rights to their brand, probably mostly just to void a potential conflict.

For example, if school A is a Nike school but athlete X gets a deal with Reebok, or whomever, does the fact that athlete X is wearing the schools jersey is a Reebok ad devalue the schools deal with Nike?

On the other hand, is it beneficial to get your logos and word marks as widely disseminated as possible?

I haven’t read the legislation but my guess is it merely allows the school to give permission for scholarship athletes to use it’s copyrighted trademarks and images.
I believe all athlete sponsorships have to be approved through the school and can't directly compete with current school sponsorships. A UConn athlete can't endorse an adidas product or Starbucks product for example (even without using the school logo) since we have deals with Nike and Dunkin.

I think it's win-win to have the UConn brand included now. School has final approval so there shouldn't be a conflict or quality control issue.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This needs to be a priority or all UConn teams will suffer and suffer quickly.

Reaction Score

-> Connecticut lawmakers have been asked to update last year’s state law that allows student-athletes to be compensated for their name and likeness in marketing deals and enable them to use their state college or university’s logo, mascot or other institutional marks when they’re pitching products like sports drinks and apparel. <-

-> “None of us want to inhibit the ability of our outstanding coaches to recruit talented student-athletes to UConn,” said Neal Eskin, executive associate athletic director at UConn, in recent testimony. “In order to compete at the highest level, we must make certain that student-athletes who choose to enroll in college in Connecticut have the same opportunities as those at schools in other states.” <-

-> On Thursday, with no debate, members of the Connecticut legislature’s Higher Education and Employment Advancement Committee unanimously advanced a bill that would end the prohibition on using school logos. It awaits further action in the state Senate. Rep. Josh Elliott, D-Hamden, the committee’s co-chair, said the legislation had been requested by UConn. <-
Didn't we post a $42M debt from our athletics program?

Reaction Score

I would imagine this legislative change goes hand in hand w/ this initiative.

“LEARFIELD and Opendorse have announced a strategic relationship to streamline access to name, image and likeness (NIL) opportunities for student-athletes as they engage with their schools’ corporate brand sponsors.

LEARFIELD will work with Opendorse as its NIL marketplace provider, supplying multimedia rights school partners access to comprehensive NIL solutions. A free, school-specific marketplace will be made available to each university, allowing its student-athletes to connect with brands though a seamless, compliant platform. LEARFIELD will also promote Opendorse to local and national brand partners as the preferred marketplace for LEARFIELD Allied™ arrangements.”

Reaction Score

-> The measure represents an update to a groundbreaking law last year that permitted student-athletes to receive money for the first time for various deals. Now, mascots, logos, trademarks, colors and the name from UConn — or any other university — can be used in deals for sneakers, sports drinks or other products. <-

-> In written testimony earlier this year, a UConn official reported that the university “has seen 97 total NIL transactions from student-athletes across 14 different varsity teams.’'

Most of those involved “trading cards, sports drinks, nutrition supplements, apparel and gear, and food service items.’' <-

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

When you have crap like this start to happen, you need to have everything available. This is insane and why NIL plus the portal has turned college sports into Free Agency. I am not against either of them on their own. I believe players should be able to profit off their skills and be able able to move to another school if needed. However, when you read this:

“If Isaiah and his family don’t feel that the NIL number meets their expectations they will be entering the transfer portal tomorrow while maintaining his eligibility in the NBA draft and going through the draft process,” his agent, Adam Papas, told ESPN.
“Isaiah would like to stay in Miami. He had a great season leading his team to the Elite Eight. He has seen what incoming Miami Hurricane basketball players are getting in NIL and would like his NIL to reflect that he was a team leader of an Elite Eight team.”

It's like something you read from a pro sports article about a star player holding out.

Reaction Score
Wait am I reading this right? The CT lawmakers are doing something that actually makes sense? That actually can help both CT and the students? Are pigs flying?
The pigs will start flying when the student athletes are allowed to transfer to a school that they know (according to their agents) will offer more. When that happens big time D1 collegiate sports will sink like a rock in ratings, viewership, and ticket sales. Not to mention the validity of these athletes getting a college diploma. Lol

Reaction Score
The pigs will start flying when the student athletes are allowed to transfer to a school that they know (according to their agents) will offer more. When that happens big time D1 collegiate sports will sink like a rock in ratings, viewership, and ticket sales. Not to mention the validity of these athletes getting a college diploma. Lol
It's already started.

Reaction Score
I would imagine this legislative change goes hand in hand w/ this initiative.

“LEARFIELD and Opendorse have announced a strategic relationship to streamline access to name, image and likeness (NIL) opportunities for student-athletes as they engage with their schools’ corporate brand sponsors.

LEARFIELD will work with Opendorse as its NIL marketplace provider, supplying multimedia rights school partners access to comprehensive NIL solutions. A free, school-specific marketplace will be made available to each university, allowing its student-athletes to connect with brands though a seamless, compliant platform. LEARFIELD will also promote Opendorse to local and national brand partners as the preferred marketplace for LEARFIELD Allied™ arrangements.”

Alternate access link to story<<

Reaction Score

-> The collective is a unique name, image and likeness (NIL) opportunity for UConn athletes. At least one athlete from each men’s and women’s sports at UConn will get the chance to be a part of it. Student-athletes will submit their information such as age, grade, sport, position and interests on the website. After a student-athlete is picked, D’Amelio would be a personal mentor to them in helping athletes create their own personal brand and advising them on brand deals. <-

-> Based on their interests, D’Amelio will match the student-athletes with companies with similar interests for brand deals. D’Amelio started his career in the sports-licensing business and is currently a partner with Mitchell & Ness.<-

-> D’Amelio said he has been in constant contact with UConn about the idea, and the school has given him the blessing to make the collective. D’Amelio is making sure the collective is NCAA compliant throughout the entire process. “This isn’t about someone else’s money and diverting it to a student-athlete,” he said. “It’s about using the name and likeness to help generate revenue for them.” <-

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom