CSNBBS realignment discussion akin to car wash | The Boneyard

CSNBBS realignment discussion akin to car wash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://csnbbs.com/thread-767908.html

Evening all, I never post information or tidbits on here unless I know there is truth. This weekend I was at a function in Kansas City (I sit in the board of a hospital system there). A fellow board member is also on the KU BOT and he told me that OU and KU are in talks with the BIG which has given the OU prez leverage going into the B12 talks next week. Evidentially both OU and KU are out the door if he doesn't get what he wants.

Assuming this is true, 4 scenarios.

1. B12 adds teams.
2. B1G adds plains state teams
3. B1G adds and Pac12 adds 2 (Texas and Texas Tech)
4. Kansas St., Iowa St., Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma St. and West Virginia are left out in the wilderness, so they add 6 to the B12: UConn, Cincy, Houston, Memphis, UCF, USF.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
This is probably the least attractive way we join a P5 conference, but at least we'd have access... I just can't see politically how they could take away access to what remained of the B12. Of course I've been wrong before.

BUT... how do KU and OU beat the GOR?
Why in the world would the PAC-12 want Texas Tech? They balked at TT and OK State the last time. Maybe Texas is valuable enough to swallow Texas Tech, probably the least attractive program in the entire B12. Longhorn Network?
Would OK be allowed to leave OK State?

It seems unlikely.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

1. B12 adds teams.
4. Kansas St., Iowa St., Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma St. and West Virginia are left out in the wilderness, so they add 6 to the B12: UConn, Cincy, Houston, Memphis, UCF, USF.

I'd say #4 is likely, IMO. Would it be worth it to pursue BYU in that scenario?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's nice to liked

RE: BIG Tidbit
(Yesterday 01:32 AM)JRsec Wrote: If the Big 10 expands Bullet they will look East.
This makes more sense to me than most of this thread. if I'm the Big Ten commissioner, would I really want Kansas over, say, Connecticut? (Or certain members of the ACC?)

I'm not saying that Oklahoma U. isn't trying to project that it is willing leave the Big 12 unless it's demands are met. Perhaps. But I am a bit skeptical that the Big Ten would be interested in expanding this far south in two square states.

Reaction Score
At this point I would be fine with anything that gets UConn back into a power conference and gets them 20+ million in TV and postseason revenue. A conference of the big 12 leftovers + UConn, cincy, byu, Memphis, Houston, and one of the Florida schools should accomplish that. Uconn brings as much or more value than Kansas. BYU brings as much value as oklahoma. Houston brings as much value as Texas tech. Memphis, cincinatti, and a Florida school combined probably bring less value than Texas, but still provide access to recruiting. the conference would have 3 schools in Texas, which would certainly maintain recruiting ties there. The conference would be slightly worse than the current big 12, but it should be a power conference based on athletic results.

Reaction Score

1. B12 adds teams.

I actually think that the inverse of # 4 would be more likely: that the AAC invites the Big XII leftovers. If the XII implodes by losing it's 3 most prominent members, The AAC would be bargaining from a position of strength. As unwieldy as an 18 team football conference seems, wasn't the postulation of a P4 future 4 x 20 team conferences? The expanded AAC would only be 2 short. If you had 2 divisions, that would be 8 divisional, 2 crossover, leaving only 2 OOC games to schedule yearly. (Or if you want to get bizarre- 8 division & 4 crossover with no OOC games)
Hoops would be decent with the addition of Okie Light, WVU, & Iowa State.
Sort of what was talked about when the PAC-12 was supposed to absorb Bevo, & Sooners & their little siblings, only on a grander scale.

Reaction Score
I actually think that the inverse of # 4 would be more likely: that the AAC invites the Big XII leftovers. If the XII implodes by losing it's 3 most prominent members, The AAC would be bargaining from a position of strength. As unwieldy as an 18 team football conference seems, wasn't the postulation of a P4 future 4 x 20 team conferences? The expanded AAC would only be 2 short. If you had 2 divisions, that would be 8 divisional, 2 crossover, leaving only 2 OOC games to schedule yearly. (Or if you want to get bizarre- 8 division & 4 crossover with no OOC games)
Hoops would be decent with the addition of Okie Light, WVU, & Iowa State.
Sort of what was talked about when the PAC-12 was supposed to absorb Bevo, & Sooners & their little siblings, only on a grander scale.

The AAC has so many schools with no market or interest that it will never seal from a position of strength, not to mention the B12 name.

Reaction Score
I'm not an expert by any means. However, with all the talk of how UConn would need to be AAU in order to be extended an invitation for the B1G. How can Okla get an invite by not even being a Carnegie School? UConn at least has that and UConn has a hockey team which from I have read is something the B1G craves in order to expand their hockey conference. I would hate to see UConn leave Hockey East, but if we were get an invite for B1G, it would be better for the overall health of UConn athletics. Then again, maybe I put too much stock in blogs and rumors.

Reaction Score
I'm not an expert by any means. However, with all the talk of how UConn would need to be AAU in order to be extended an invitation for the B1G. How can Okla get an invite by not even being a Carnegie School? UConn at least has that and UConn has a hockey team which from I have read is something the B1G craves in order to expand their hockey conference. I would hate to see UConn leave Hockey East, but if we were get an invite for B1G, it would be better for the overall health of UConn athletics. Then again, maybe I put too much stock in blogs and rumors.
People assume that the B1G prefers KU to UConn because of AAU status. I'd argue, that if they were able to add OU, then B1G policy gets thrown out, and UConn becomes a much easier add. UConn and OU> Kansas and OU

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
People assume that the B1G prefers KU to UConn because of AAU status. I'd argue, that if they were able to add OU, then B1G policy gets thrown out, and UConn becomes a much easier add. UConn and OU> Kansas and OU
Yeah but OU probably doesn't get added without KU due to contiguous states.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Yeah but OU probably doesn't get added without KU due to contiguous states.

If they're willing to throw out the AAU thing, then I'm pretty sure contiguous states get thrown out as well... btw UConn isn't technically contiguous to the B1G either... although 12 miles seems close enough to me.

Reaction Score
This is probably the least attractive way we join a P5 conference, but at least we'd have access... I just can't see politically how they could take away access to what remained of the B12. Of course I've been wrong before.

BUT... how do KU and OU beat the GOR?
Why in the world would the PAC-12 want Texas Tech? They balked at TT and OK State the last time. Maybe Texas is valuable enough to swallow Texas Tech, probably the least attractive program in the entire B12. Longhorn Network?
Would OK be allowed to leave OK State?

It seems unlikely.

I think what post means is that OU and KU have a solid backup plan. As a result they can push very hard for their agenda and get in the face of Texas right now.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I think what post means is that OU and KU have a solid backup plan. As a result they can push very hard for their agenda and get in the face of Texas right now.

The problem is, there is no incentive for Texas to change their opinion. There is no threat that will scare them at all. They are making loads of money off the LHN and control the content and power. If for some reason the LHN dies in a few years, all of the other P5 conferences would add Texas in a millisecond if the LHN is off the table. So there is no real threat to Texas at all--there is no scenario that leaves Texas vulnerable. Absolute worst case is they ride out the LHN for a few years and then have their pick of the P12, B1G, SEC, or ACC when the time comes.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
The problem is, there is no incentive for Texas to change their opinion. There is no threat that will scare them at all. They are making loads of money off the LHN and control the content and power. If for some reason the LHN dies in a few years, all of the other P5 conferences would add Texas in a millisecond if the LHN is off the table. So there is no real threat to Texas at all--there is no scenario that leaves Texas vulnerable. Absolute worst case is they ride out the LHN for a few years and then have their pick of the P12, B1G, SEC, or ACC when the time comes.

Which goes back to something I said a little while back. I think their only chance of getting Texas to dump the LHN is to convince them that a B12 network would make Texas MORE money than the LHN. I think just guaranteeing Texas that they'd make the same amount of money wouldn't be enough. I could see a scenario where a B12 network would make more money for Texas... but I admittedly don't know enough about the LHN now and their deal with ESPN, etc.

Reaction Score
I really Don't see OU going to the B1G ,It's really hurt the Nebraska quality being cut off from Texas. Oklahoma is culturally part of Texas.
Texas A&M and the SEC is their best option. Their addition would put the SEC as a major for in that state.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Guys ... this was from csnbbs, where they routinely speculate things like WVU to the PAC 12.

It may be real, but I don't believe a word of it until I read it from a responsible source.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I really Don't see OU going to the B1G ,It's really hurt the Nebraska quality being cut off from Texas. Oklahoma is culturally part of Texas.
Texas A&M and the SEC is their best option. Their addition would put the SEC as a major for in that state.

Arkansas also took a hit in its Texas recruiting when it went to the SEC.

I live here, and you're right. In some ways, Oklahoma really is North Texas. I believe more than 50% of the OU roster is from Texas.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If they're willing to throw out the AAU thing, then I'm pretty sure contiguous states get thrown out as well... btw UConn isn't technically contiguous to the B1G either... although 12 miles seems close enough to me.
B1G has an office in NYC. Last I checked, which ironically enough was about an hour ago, Connecticut was contiguous with New York

Reaction Score

1. B12 adds teams.

I can't see the Pac12 taking Texas Tech under any circumstance. Texas and Baylor would make more sense academically and athletically.

Reaction Score
I can't see the Pac12 taking Texas Tech under any circumstance. Texas and Baylor would make more sense academically and athletically.

Texas Tech, Arizona St., what's the difference? But, there is no small religious school like Baylor in the Pac12. Baylor has more in common with schools in the ACC.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Kansas and Oklahoma to the B1G.
Texas to ACC in ND-type deal.
Pac-12 stays the same (or adds UNLV, New Mexico, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State).
SEC adds FSU and Clemson (after Big 12 shows how GORs can be ripped up).
ACC adds UConn and WVU.

Each of the P4 has 16 members (but ACC only has 14 in football).

Remaining members of Big 12 (Baylor, TCU, Iowa State, Kansas St.) join the Mountain West.

Reaction Score
Kansas and Oklahoma to the B1G.
Texas to ACC in ND-type deal.
Pac-12 stays the same (or adds UNLV, New Mexico, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State).
SEC adds FSU and Clemson (after Big 12 shows how GORs can be ripped up).
ACC adds UConn and WVU.

Each of the P4 has 16 members (but ACC only has 14 in football).

Remaining members of Big 12 (Baylor, TCU, Iowa State, Kansas St.) join the Mountain West.

So ACC has 18 in basketball?

Reaction Score
Texas Tech, Arizona St., what's the difference? But, there is no small religious school like Baylor in the Pac12. Baylor has more in common with schools in the ACC.

You ever been to Lubbock? That's the difference. Lol Baylor is religious and small. It also solid academically and fairly wealthy. They are also in a talent rich area and better media market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom