Crystal has the Heart of a Warrior | The Boneyard

Crystal has the Heart of a Warrior

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Pound for pound, Crystal may be the strongest player on the UConn team, which is a good thing, because she plays fearlessly on the court, often driving into the tall trees in the lane and getting knocked around for her efforts. Geno has talked about getting Crystal some rest during games, but that may just be wishful thinking. UConn’s offense and defense simply runs better with Crystal on the floor, whether she is controlling the tempo on offense or barking out instructions to her teammates on defense.

Coming off her second hip surgery in as many years, Crystal started out slowly this season. But right now, Crystal is playing wonderful basketball. She clearly has the keys to the Ferrari on offense. Crystal is fantastic in transition, consistently beats defenders off the dribble and, when they try to play off her, her ability to hit 3-pt shots from the cheap seals is ridiculous. In addition, Crystal is the best man-to-man defender on UConn, at least until Aubrey gets more PT. Crystal typically earns the toughest defensive assignment against the opposing team’s best guard.

With all of her on court responsibilities, Crystal has also stepped into the preeminent leadership role for this team. She constantly communicates with all her teammates. No longer an underclassman, her responses to media interviews are thoughtful and perceptive.

With her left shoulder wrapped in physio tape, she will continue to drive the lane against much bigger opponents, dive on the floor for loose balls and get knocked around with her all-out play, all the time. I hold my breath when Crystal gets knocked to the floor. But she usually gets right back up, sometimes slowly, dusts herself off and gets right back into the game.

Crystal does not want to be a member of the first UConn class in 8 years not to win a national title. For UConn to win their 12th National Championship this season, Crystal will have to continue to play brilliantly, giving everything she has. Crystal may be the smallest player on the court, but she clearly has the heart of a warrior, and she is on a mission.

Reaction Score
Pound for pound, Crystal may be the strongest player on the UConn team, which is a good thing, because she plays fearlessly on the court, often driving into the tall trees in the lane and getting knocked around for her efforts. Geno has talked about getting Crystal some rest during games, but that may just be wishful thinking. UConn’s offense and defense simply runs better with Crystal on the floor, whether she is controlling the tempo on offense or barking out instructions to her teammates on defense.

Coming off her second hip surgery in as many years, Crystal started out slowly this season. But right now, Crystal is playing wonderful basketball. She clearly has the keys to the Ferrari on offense. Crystal is fantastic in transition, consistently beats defenders off the dribble and, when they try to play off her, her ability to hit 3-pt shots from the cheap seals is ridiculous. In addition, Crystal is the best man-to-man defender on UConn, at least until Aubrey gets more PT. Crystal typically earns the toughest defensive assignment against the opposing team’s best guard.

With all of her on court responsibilities, Crystal has also stepped into the preeminent leadership role for this team. She constantly communicates with all her teammates. No longer an underclassman, her responses to media interviews are thoughtful and perceptive.

With her left shoulder wrapped in physio tape, she will continue to drive the lane against much bigger opponents, dive on the floor for loose balls and get knocked around with her all-out play, all the time. I hold my breath when Crystal gets knocked to the floor. But she usually gets right back up, sometimes slowly, dusts herself off and gets right back into the game.

Crystal does not want to be a member of the first UConn class in 8 years not to win a national title. For UConn to win their 12th National Championship this season, Crystal will have to continue to play brilliantly, giving everything she has. Crystal may be the smallest player on the court, but she clearly has the heart of a warrior, and she is on a mission.
If you looked at Danger in the 4th quarter as she sat she was definitely in some pain. It appeared to be leg pain but you wigging you legs with hip pain too. Tired legs? Hip acting up? I'd say she needs lots of rest but as one who rested and paid for it that isn't always the treatment of choice. Moderate exercise and not stagnation worked for me. She gets way more than anything MODERATE.
If she were of ONO's size with proportionate/comparative strength pity those she played.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If you looked at Danger in the 4th quarter as she sat she was definitely in some pain. It appeared to be leg pain but you wigging you legs with hip pain too. Tired legs? Hip acting up? I'd say she needs lots of rest but as one who rested and paid for it that isn't always the treatment of choice. Moderate exercise and not stagnation worked for me. She gets way more than anything MODERATE.
If she were of ONO's size with proportionate/comparative strength pity those she played.
I watched that and at first I also thought she was in physical pain. But subsequently, I think the physio tape, which she ripped off, was causing her discomfort. That's my hope anyway.

Reaction Score

Both Geno and Crystal talked about this last night during their post-game interviews. She is getting her rest during practice. She says she takes drills off during practice, and feels that's something she's earned. Geno said she doesn't get tired during games. Sounds like as long as any game is competitive, Crystal will be on the floor.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Geno’s got to give her some rest because she won’t get any during NCAA tourney.
He commented after the game that it's more important to give her rest during practice than games and that process is under way. They are carefully monitoring her status. Like many of the players have commented, the games are easy, the practice is a killer.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
There was an interesting quote by Geno saying he would rather have Crystal shoot more than she is now and that she performs best when she is aggressively looking for her own shot and not trying to focus on making sure everyone gets their shots.

I suppose this is probably as much to do with the lack of multiple AA on the current roster as style but is an interesting concept for a Husky PG.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Geno’s got to give her some rest because she won’t get any during NCAA tourney.
Both Geno and Crystal talked about this last night during their post-game interviews. She is getting her rest during practice. She says she takes drills off during practice, and feels that's something she's earned. Geno said she doesn't get tired during games. Sounds like as long as any game is competitive, Crystal will be on the floor.
He commented after the game that it's more important to give her rest during practice than games and that process is under way. They are carefully monitoring her status. Like many of the players have commented, the games are easy, the practice is a killer.
And to add to the above, they just had 8 days without any games including 5 days without practice. She's had her rest.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There was an interesting quote by Geno saying he would rather have Crystal shoot more than she is now and that she performs best when she is aggressively looking for her own shot and not trying to focus on making sure everyone gets their shots.

I suppose this is probably as much to do with the lack of multiple AA on the current roster as style but is an interesting concept for a Husky PG.
It’s basically the same way Ionescu plays, and obviously she has been very successful. When we were kids one of the maxims we all had drilled into our brain was, “pass first.” But when you truly have the ability to break down a defense and score a lot, it forces the defense to collapse on you opening up even better opportunities to set up your teammates.

While Crystal had a great game last night, several of the very best passes were by Megan to both Liv on an out-of-bounds play & Christyn on a fast break when Wichita St’s defense overreacted to Megan’s ability to score.

Reaction Score
She played a great game last night as Geno recognized. See some of it here:

This is one of those times when a W is a W. Except when thinking a week or so in advanced and asking questions.

Reaction Score
OLD DUDE: As always, your lead post on this thread and your follow ups are right on target from this angle. Thanks.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She played a great game last night as Geno recognized. See some of it here:

In watching these highlights, something clicked. I always pay attention to the newbies, to see what they do. I also like to watch the reaction of the bench whenever UConn makes a basket. Geno is usually stoic, while the bench erupts.

I don't expect Aubrey to have an understanding of the system yet. She hasn't been here long enough. Geno says it takes at least a year for most new players to "get it." But still, I just love to watch Aubrey play. She's a play maker. I'll live with whatever freshman mistakes she makes.

She's getting better every game. She's much better now than she was that first exhibition game (Jefferson) in November. At least now she has a clue, and after her breakout 25/12 game against Seton Hall in December, she KNOWS she can play at this level, and that she belongs here. She'll be even better a month from now. One thing you can count on from Aubrey, she makes plays when she's on the court. She's a very good passer, and she seldom turns the ball over. :cool:

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Crystal may be the smallest player on the court, but she clearly has the heart of a warrior, and the heart of a CHAMPION. You know the old adage: NEVER under estimate the heart of a champion!! ;)

Reaction Score
I watched that and at first I also thought she was in physical pain. But subsequently, I think the physio tape, which she ripped off, was causing her discomfort. That's my hope anyway.
I had the same reaction. I think the tape had ' bunched up" and was irritating. Hope so, anyway.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom