Crystal Gets To Guard Old Team Mate | The Boneyard

Crystal Gets To Guard Old Team Mate

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Familiar matchup

"In last year’s matchup at Gampel Pavilion, Kia Nurse held Durr scoreless in the opening quarter as UConn built a 20-point lead en route to a 69-58 victory. Who will get that assignment Thursday?

“It will be me,” Dangerfield said. “We haven’t gotten the scouting report yet but Shea (assistant coach Ralph) told me that Asia’s my matchup and I’ll try to do my best with her.”

Durr leads the Cardinals in scoring at 21.1 points per game on 45.8 percent shooting. She takes almost half of her shots from 3-point land but also leads Louisville in free throws attempted 89.

For UConn to win, it needs Dangerfield on the floor and not in foul trouble.
“I have to keep my hands off of her and move my feet,” Dangerfield said. “She does a great job of keeping her dribble. I have to stay down and keep my hands high.”

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
“I have to keep my hands off of her and move my feet,” Dangerfield said. “She does a great job of keeping her dribble. I have to stay down and keep my hands high.”

I think Crystal's ability to keep Durr under control (or not) will be a major factor in the game. Last year, Kia threw a blanket over her, shutting her out in the 1st half. That was a major concern for Walz, and forced others to try and step up. IMO, LV will need to score at least 75 points to win.

Durr and a lot of other UConn opponents were elated to see Kia graduate last year. If Kia really wanted to guard you closely, you couldn't shake her. She had the ability to climb into your uniform and stay there. On defense, IF CD can hold Durr to 8 points (or less) under her season average (21ppg), UConn will be fine.

Crystal really needs to get a good night's sleep tonight, because she's got a BIG day in store for her tomorrow. She will be busy on BOTH ends of the court all evening. She may play the entire 40 minutes. Go Crystal, Go UConn.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For some time I have been suggesting that this might be a game when Geno can use Mikayla off the bench for 5-10 minutes, just to guard Durr. Mikayla may not give you much on offense, but she could be UConn’s best man defender.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
For some time I have been suggesting that this might be a game when Geno can use Mikayla off the bench for 5-10 minutes, just to guard Durr. Mikayla may not give you much on offense, but she could be UConn’s best man defender.

I completely agree. Dangerous may need a brief blow or two. It's exhausting to play the kind of defense she's going to need to play against Durr. It's much harder to play tight "in your uniform" defense than it is to simply run the team and make plays on offense. If Coombs (if needed) can give Geno 10-15 minutes defending Durr and keep her under control, she wouldn't have to score a point. If she could pull that off, she could be in serious consideration for Kib's BA award. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I am just wondering when Mikayla has shown that she could possibly cover Durr (or anyone for that matter) because she "could be" UConn's best man defender.
Please cite specific game details because I have plenty of time to watch the replay(s).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Mikayla is very athletic and may be able to defend Asia. That could be interesting.

Crystal knows that her mentor Moriah was the DPOY. Maybe Danger has aspirations along those lines.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Mikayla is very athletic and may be able to defend Asia. That could be interesting.

Crystal knows that her mentor Moriah was the DPOY. Maybe Danger has aspirations along those lines.

The only issue may be Asia shooting over Crystal, although at 5'10" Asia's only got a few inches on her.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I am just wondering when Mikayla has shown that she could possibly cover Durr (or anyone for that matter) because she "could be" UConn's best man defender.
Please cite specific game details because I have plenty of time to watch the replay(s).
I know that Mikayla’s PT has been limited. If you watch any game that she’s played extended minutes in man defense you will see a young lady with exceptional athleticism, great footwork and quickness, who locks on her man, fights over screens and has the ability to pick your pocket and head the other way with the ball.

Reaction Score
Familiar matchup

"In last year’s matchup at Gampel Pavilion, Kia Nurse held Durr scoreless in the opening quarter as UConn built a 20-point lead en route to a 69-58 victory. Who will get that assignment Thursday?

“It will be me,” Dangerfield said. “We haven’t gotten the scouting report yet but Shea (assistant coach Ralph) told me that Asia’s my matchup and I’ll try to do my best with her.”

Durr leads the Cardinals in scoring at 21.1 points per game on 45.8 percent shooting. She takes almost half of her shots from 3-point land but also leads Louisville in free throws attempted 89.

Does that mean CD just entered into a growth sprout overnight?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I know that Mikayla’s PT has been limited. If you watch any game that she’s played extended minutes in man defense you will see a young lady with exceptional athleticism, great footwork and quickness, who locks on her man, fights over screens and has the ability to pick your pocket and head the other way with the ball.
Ok, you have your opinion and I am not going to disagree with you. If your scenario plays out and it works, that would be huge.

Reaction Score
Guaranteed if you see Coombs as a relief for Danger and a great on the ball defender--Geno see's it too.
I am reluctantly agreeing on Mikayla only because I haven't seen her guard anyone of consequence. This could be a terrific test of her ability--or a disaster--(i prefer the former)

Reaction Score
The only issue may be Asia shooting over Crystal, although at 5'10" Asia's only got a few inches on her.
Like 5 inches. If Stewie were guarding Walker (forget Stews super talent only size) -who comes out on top??

Reaction Score
I completely agree. Dangerous may need a brief blow or two. It's exhausting to play the kind of defense she's going to need to play against Durr. If Coombs can give Geno 10-15 minutes defending Durr and hold her scoreless, she wouldn't have to score a point. If she could pull that off, she could be in serious consideration for Kib's BA award. :eek:
She doesn't need to keep her scoreless to be successful. However, if she can get her scoreless for the first quarter--it will get into her head and that will do the rest.
Stewie always comes out on top
The point was: 5 inches difference in height --is the same if one is 5 ft 5 or 6 ft 7 --it is a big difference
Now if one is gabby that difference doesn't matter --but where will you find another Gabby?? Not on this Uconn team.

Reaction Score

I see it all the time. Her instincts are good and she's really athletic. I've said before that if she could at least finish on her drives and play defense like I see she can, then she can be similar to Kalana green. She has no shot, but I see a lot to work with. Definitely want her to get more playing time, tomorrow might not be the best game to start though.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
and if Danger gets in foul danger early, who replaces her in defending Durr?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom