Crystal Dangerfield Talks about Her First UConn Start | The Boneyard

Crystal Dangerfield Talks about Her First UConn Start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
kid's got ice water in her veins. her turn-overs and D are freshman-like, her demeanor is already a senior: ordering her teammates around like she belongs there and no fear in her shooting. Wish that long 3 at the half-time buzzer had stayed in the can: would've been awesome.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It's no secret that Danger's defense has been getting incrementally better since she's returned from her concussion. She missed some open shots against KState, but those will fall soon enough. I thought during the first period against KState the way she controlled the offense and set the pace that helped dominate the period. Of course, by the end of the 3rd the big three's legs started to look like they were wading through water and Geno slowed the pace. Just wait until she learns to better read the people she's on the court with.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Crystal is on a fast track to making that sophomore leap.................as a freshman. Yes, she's making typical rookie/freshman mistakes. That's part of the maturation process. We all see her working hard and learning something with every trip up and down the court. The more she plays NOW, the faster she'll be ready. I look for her to get substantial floor time during conference play. Geno and staff know exactly where she needs to be come March, when she'll have some 30+ games under her belt, and she'll no longer be a freshman. I'm confident they'll have her exactly where she needs to be. The game will have slowed down for her by then. Everything she sees by then, shes seen before. She'll be ready for tournament play. She's got to take her lumps and bumps now to get there. She'll be fine. :cool:

Reaction Score
I like her as much as the next fan, but she's going to hit that freshman wall next month like everyone else that's come through this program. We must be patient.

Reaction Score
The next article after Danger's it's mentioned that Andra Espinoza Hunter is averaging 46 points for Oss1ning. In her latest outing she hit 51.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Rodney.jpg

Crystal getting more respect than this guy..........

Carnac

Reaction Score
I like her as much as the next fan, but she's going to hit that freshman wall next month like everyone else that's come through this program. We must be patient.

Yes Sir!!!.................Hitting the freshman wall is part of the maturation process. It's part of becoming a veteran (seasoned) basketball player at this level. It's like being a soldier. ALL soldiers MUST go through "Boot Camp" first, before you can become a soldier in any army, and go on to further more specific (individual) training. She too MUST hit and go through the wall.

As you said Hoops, we'll just have to be patient. She's making errors and mistakes she won't make later in the year. The team can absorb those mistakes now. You don't want her making those errors and miscues during tournament play.

That which does not kill you, makes you stronger. Nobody ever died from hitting the freshman wall. She will come out on the other side a better (more mature/experienced) player. Next year around January, she'll know whats coming because she's already experienced it before. :cool:

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Oddly enough, Danger's body type reminds me much more of Stokes than of Jefferson - in miniature, of course!
I can see it.

She makes me think of Sugar Ray Leonard. I'm thinking of nicknaming her Sugar Ray Dangerfield. Or maybe Crystal Ray Dangerfield.

But probably I won't. I like "Guns" better.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I can see it.

She makes me think of Sugar Ray Leonard. I'm thinking of nicknaming her Sugar Ray Dangerfield. Or maybe Crystal Ray Dangerfield.

But probably I won't. I like "Guns" better.

Me too. Guns Dangerfield. It has a certain "ring" to it. :p

Reaction Score
The next article after Danger's it's mentioned that Andra Espinoza Hunter is averaging 46 points for Oss1ning. In her latest outing she hit 51.
46, 30, 20 Andra, Megan, Lexi ----Uconn will not have to wonder where the scoring is coming from!!!! It was worth the read!!

Carnac

Reaction Score
kid's got ice water in her veins. her turn-overs and D are freshman-like, her demeanor is already a senior: ordering her teammates around like she belongs there and no fear in her shooting. Wish that long 3 at the half-time buzzer had stayed in the can: would've been awesome.

Bags27, you are a seer too. You can look at her, and see the greatness that she has in her now, that will manifest itself later. It's like what we saw in Gabby and Napheesa in their freshman year. You could see flashes of brilliance and greatness, but only for brief moments. They'd make a great play, then follow it up with a turnover, a silly foul, or some other freshman man gaff. We were looking at raw unrefined talent that just needed to be polished and coached up. Look at Gabby and Collier now. The difference we see in them now, is the same difference we'll see in Crystal next season. Not this season, NEXT season.

Let me put it another way. If you're a Star Trek fan (which I am), you're familiar with warp speed. When their Starship (the Enterprise) goes into "warp drive", the stars on the view screen blur, because they are traveling at light speed. But.........when they stop or slow to "impulse drive", the stars go back to looking as we're use to seeing them. They appear to not be moving. Right now, Crystal is in warp drive. Everything is new to her, and it's coming at a very fast pace. She's doing the best she can to learn as much as she can, as fast as she can. It's like starting a new job and meeting 50 new people, and remembering everyone's name. It's not going to happen. But like she said in an interview, NOTHING she did up to that point prepared her for what she's experiencing now. UConn basketball (and it's expectations) is unlike anything else she's ever seen or experienced. Next year, everything will slow down for her, just like it does for most 2nd year players. THEN, we'll get to see the real Crystal Dangerfield. The Crystal Dangerfield that will make it hard to watch her, and keep your mouth closed. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom