Cross Hawaii of the List | The Boneyard

Cross Hawaii of the List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do you accept Grammar correction?

Look ... a UAB & maybe a Hawaii is a blip that Emmert & Swofford can pooh pooh. Followed drops of many Olympic programs from schools at Rutgers/MD level to the D1 line then thru to D3 & smaller. All explained. Soon, we are going to see Higher Ed schools in trouble (Sports being tangential) like rural & non-core hospitals. Bankruptcies & defaults. You'll see Colleges selling Residence Halls to third parties.

At what point will the Cartel be less arrogant & admit their POWER move hurt them? At the point Women's Sports crater, will Gloria Allred jump? UAB isn't isolated. And sliding towards more & more drops. We are not in because we are a newby. But I can't imagine the elimination of a Level in one entire region (counting NY, that's 7 outside the core where Athletes have no Public choice & decline can be predicted). I think BC serves no one. I think SU can't possibly claim what our State U can (how can NYS govt support it?).

Drop by drop.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

Look ... a UAB & maybe a Hawaii is a blip that Emmert & Swofford can pooh pooh. Followed drops of many Olympic programs from schools at Rutgers/MD level to the D1 line then thru to D3 & smaller. All explained. Soon, we are going to see Higher Ed schools in trouble (Sports being tangential) like rural & non-core hospitals. Bankruptcies & defaults. You'll see Colleges selling Residence Halls to third parties.

At what point will the Cartel be less arrogant & admit their POWER move hurt them? At the point Women's Sports crater, will Gloria Allred jump? UAB isn't isolated. And sliding towards more & more drops. We are not in because we are a newby. But I can't imagine the elimination of a Level in one entire region (counting NY, that's 7 outside the core where Athletes have no Public choice & decline can be predicted). I think BC serves no one. I think SU can't possibly claim what our State U can (how can NYS govt support it?).

Drop by drop.
Gloria Allred isn't interested in anything that requires actual litigation.

Reaction Score

Drop by drop.

I'm a little confused. Lots of athletic departments at the high major D1 level operate separately from their university. Are you suggesting that ADs will start to purchase residence halls and other academic buildings so that they can auction them off to third parties for a little extra cash? That doesn't seem like a sound business decision.

Reaction Score
I'm a little confused. Lots of athletic departments at the high major D1 level operate separately from their university. Are you suggesting that ADs will start to purchase residence halls and other academic buildings so that they can auction them off to third parties for a little extra cash? That doesn't seem like a sound business decision.

I teach. So I'm glad you're not in my class at the University.

Financial Statements. Colleges & Universities are in trouble. Not your P5 generally (of course we knew Rutgers & MD were). AD is only part of that entity. Colleges & Universities are going to monetize their assets because they are in a decline in enrollment & a rise in most expenses. Ripple? Sports are going to continue to be dropped. Residence Halls are real estate; unlike 10 years ago, theses are readily marketable today. For instance ... There are now campuses that large segments of the residences are owned by third parties - ie University of Kentucky. This is going to escalate. On this environment, Sports are going to continue to be dropped. Bank on that.

Reaction Score
I teach. So I'm glad you're not in my class at the University.

Financial Statements. Colleges & Universities are in trouble. Not your P5 generally (of course we knew Rutgers & MD were). AD is only part of that entity. Colleges & Universities are going to monetize their assets because they are in a decline in enrollment & a rise in most expenses. Ripple? Sports are going to continue to be dropped. Residence Halls are real estate; unlike 10 years ago, theses are readily marketable today. For instance ... There are now campuses that large segments of the residences are owned by third parties - ie University of Kentucky. This is going to escalate. On this environment, Sports are going to continue to be dropped. Bank on that.

Ahhh....I see. Thanks for explaining further. Fortunately for Maryland and Rutgers, they'll be getting full shares of Big Ten revenue in five years and should be in the black.

Based in your thorough explanation, I see why it's so imperative for non Power 5 schools like UConn to do everything they can to get into a P5 conference. It'd be awful for a university to not be getting decent athletic revenue AND experience the fiscal woes you describe on the university side. I'd imagine that'd be a crippling to a school's ambition to spend with the P5 pack.

Reaction Score
We seem to be going in two different directions...coaches at some schools making big monies with ever expanding contracts...Saban at $8 million a year, Harbough rumored to be offered near that, Fisher's contract to be extended 8 years at more than $5 million...and we have coordinators making a million a year.

With athletic budgets approaching $100 million a year(or more) in some programs, the moey seems to be there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Drop by drop.

Yes, the next time I saw the title of the thread I knew I missed an 'f'.

Not sure you are qualified to lecture on the topic:

You have more fragments than actual sentences in the posts in this thread.

You managed to invent the word 'newby'.

You started multiple sentences with conjunctions and prepositions.

You skipped whatever year of school covers which letters to capitalize.

To your question about your grammar correction, I'll elect a 'hard pass'.

Last edited:

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Yes, the next time I saw the title of the thread I knew I missed an 'f'.

Not sure you are qualified to lecture on the topic:

You have more fragments than actual sentences in the posts in this thread.

You managed to invent the word 'newby'.

You started multiple sentences with conjunctions and prepositions.

You skipped whatever year of school covers which letters to capitalize.

To your question about your grammar correction, I'll elect a 'hard pass'.
I am no export but ain't speiling a deforent ting than gramer.

Reaction Score
Gloria Allred isn't interested in anything that requires actual litigation.
Football scholarships fueled the growth of women's sports.
Of the 45,000 scholarships for football you can count an equal number of women's scholarships. Less than 5,000 at p5 programs. As non P5 schools illiminate football women's sports are also reduced.
Gloria Alred doesn't have to litigate anything to make this into the biggest women's issue of the day. She can appear on every women oriented talk show and frame this as an attack on women. There is something ironic about the most PC segment of society Becoming the villain of the story.
If you ask the question who cares about non p5 football the answer might be no one.
That's may or may not be Hyperpole ,but in either case it's totally irrelevant.
The real question that should be asked of sports fans is how would they feel ,if their son ,daughter,niece,nephew,or even children of friends , or there local high schools star player was denied a scholarship because of the destruction of football due to the greed of P5 conferences.
Then how do you think the average sport fan will then answer the question about his concern for non p5 football.?

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
If there is sufficient interest in and support for women's sports, they'll be preserved even if football is lost. So the women will not be protesting the loss of men's football.

If there isn't, it's hard to see why there will be a hue and outcry if they're lost. If the only thing keeping some women's sports in existence is men's football and Title IX, then they lack the support needed to mobilize a political movement.

Reaction Score
If there is sufficient interest in and support for women's sports, they'll be preserved even if football is lost. So the women will not be protesting the loss of men's football.

If there isn't, it's hard to see why there will be a hue and outcry if they're lost. If the only thing keeping some women's sports in existence is men's football and Title IX, then they lack the support needed to mobilize a political movement.
If by support you mean the ability to create sustainable revenue to support an activity, you are arguing for the illimination of, pretty much every sport.
The only sports at UConn would be men's and women's basketball. But even those sports would dry up as at many schools they play even lose money on them.
The hue and cry wouldn't be out of concern for the sport it would be out of concern for lost opportunity for the indivuals participants. It has to be made personal because it is personal.

pj

Reaction Score
If by support you mean the ability to create sustainable revenue to support an activity, you are arguing for the illimination of, pretty much every sport.
The only sports at UConn would be men's and women's basketball. But even those sports would dry up as at many schools they play even lose money on them.
The hue and cry wouldn't be out of concern for the sport it would be out of concern for lost opportunity for the indivuals participants. It has to be made personal because it is personal.

Schools assess student fees to support athletics. At many schools, the athletic department receives close to $20 mn from student fees to support sports at all levels. This money would be sufficient to maintain a pretty good set of women's sports, if anyone in the university thinks they're worth having.

Title IX required the establishment of extra women's sports to compensate for the scholarships given to male football players. So a lot of schools created additional women's teams only in order to meet the regulatory requirements needed to have a football team.

If they then drop football, such schools might well drop some women's sports, since the reason for creating them had gone.

However, I don't think UConn would be one of those. And if women's sports have developed their own constituencies since Title IX came into being, it could be that many other schools also would not drop women's sports.

If that's the case, why should feminists defend football programs? To preserve cheerleading?

Reaction Score

You can add men's hockey to that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104