Critical Temple Article | The Boneyard

Critical Temple Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is why Temple was never admitted as a full member of the Big East and was booted as a football only. The difference between Temple and the rest of the AAC is that the rest of the AAC cares about football and most are rising programs. Think about it, Houston and Tulane are building new stadiums. Cincinnati is rebuilding their stadium. UCF, SMU, and UConn have recently built stadiums. I'll bet USF builds a new stadium in the near future. ECU and Navy certainly care about football.

End of the day, the AAC is going to be a scrappy football conference that is made up of schools that are looking to move to better conferences. Keep improving or get left behind.

Reaction Score
All PA public universities had their public outlays cut by 50%. The school is bleeding money.

Maybe the alums should consider attending a game once in a while.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
All PA public universities had their public outlays cut by 50%. The school is bleeding money.

Maybe the alums should consider attending a game once in a while.

I work with a lot of Temple grads. Pretty much across the board they have told me that the student body wears it as a badge of honor that they don't go to games.

Reaction Score
I work with a lot of Temple grads. Pretty much across the board they have told me that the student body wears it as a badge of honor that they don't go to games.

Temple tuition is over $14,000. Room & Board is another $11,000, and that doesn't include additional expenses like books, etc. Meanwhile their athletic budget is at $45m and they don't get 2/3rds the revenue.

The only conclusion that the students can draw is that they are taking money out of their pockets (and going into debt) to pay for the AD.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Temple tuition is over $14,000. Room & Board is another $11,000, and that doesn't include additional expenses like books, etc. Meanwhile their athletic budget is at $45m and they don't get 2/3rds the revenue.

The only conclusion that the students can draw is that they are taking money out of their pockets (and going into debt) to pay for the AD.

Right so sponsor basketball play in the A-10 and they can probably break even.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yet everyone on this board thinks doing nothing is a great idea.

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score
As the resident Rutgers fan/Temple fan/South Jerseyite lurker, I would like to point out that Bob Ford is a worthless hack.

Look, eventually Temple may completely fail at football (and if it does it will be due to generations of disengaged alumni, in my opinion) but I think the attempt to (finally) build the program and tie the success of the entire athletic department to success in football is the best thing to do in the current, football-dominated college sports environment. And, I mean, if Rutgers can eventually not suck, Temple can find a way to not suck. (The ceiling for Temple is always going to be lower, unfortunately. It's the fate of the city school.)

Reaction Score
As the resident Rutgers fan/Temple fan/South Jerseyite lurker, I would like to point out that Bob Ford is a worthless hack.

Look, eventually Temple may completely fail at football (and if it does it will be due to generations of disengaged alumni, in my opinion) but I think the attempt to (finally) build the program and tie the success of the entire athletic department to success in football is the best thing to do in the current, football-dominated college sports environment. And, I mean, if Rutgers can eventually not suck, Temple can find a way to not suck. (The ceiling for Temple is always going to be lower, unfortunately. It's the fate of the city school.)

Temple is a big STATE school in a good city. Look at Boston U. They dropped football, ramped up academics. Temple should be looking at ramping up the academic side to steal students from Pitt and PSU. You have the city right there.

justinslot

Reaction Score
BU is private though...

Downgrading football turns Temple into, I don't know, Wayne State or something. And I don't think upgrading academics has to come at the price of downgrading athletics. I mean, isn't UConn doing both simultaneously?

Reaction Score
BU is private though...

Downgrading football turns Temple into, I don't know, Wayne State or something. And I don't think upgrading academics has to come at the price of downgrading athletics. I mean, isn't UConn doing both simultaneously?

UConn has state support.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yet everyone on this board thinks doing nothing is a great idea.

UConn is hardly doing nothing. Maybe you have seen the news of the new football coach.

Doing something that you don't approve <> doing nothing.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
BU is private though...

Temple and UConn really have nothing in common past conference affiliation.

The alumni clearly don't want football and why would anyone who isn't a Temple grad have any desire to be involved with their football program with them completely surrounded by Big 10 programs.

It's a product that has been rejected for decades - maybe that changes but it's pretty unlikely.

pj

Reaction Score
Temple is a big STATE school in a good city. Look at Boston U. They dropped football, ramped up academics. Temple should be looking at ramping up the academic side to steal students from Pitt and PSU. You have the city right there.

Temple is never going to be better than the #3 state school in Pennsylvania after Penn State and Pitt; and it has the misfortune of having a name that sounds like a private school when a competing and very prestigious nearby private school has the name University of Pennsylvania. It will never have the mindshare that say a University of Connecticut gets as the flagship and namesake of the state.

Whereas, as a state school with weak students, it would have difficulty attracting faculty of sufficient quality to rival a Boston U. Especially since Pitt among Pennsylvania state schools already has the high end academic market cornered.

No, Temple has to fill a low-quality academic niche. Its only hope for eminence is through athletics and the Philadelphia sports fan market.

Reaction Score
Temple is never going to be better than the #3 state school in Pennsylvania after Penn State and Pitt; and it has the misfortune of having a name that sounds like a private school when a competing and very prestigious nearby private school has the name University of Pennsylvania. It will never have the mindshare that say a University of Connecticut gets as the flagship and namesake of the state.

Whereas, as a state school with weak students, it would have difficulty attracting faculty of sufficient quality to rival a Boston U. Especially since Pitt among Pennsylvania state schools already has the high end academic market cornered.

No, Temple has to fill a low-quality academic niche. Its only hope for eminence is through athletics and the Philadelphia sports fan market.

I don't really agree with a lot of this. It has actually attracted some top faculty from very good places, who like the idea of living in a big city. PSU is in the middle of nowhere, and faculty tend to leave. Never say never. Penn. is a big state, unlike Connecticut. Having a large state school in the state's biggest city should be a boon for Temple. U. Penn. is really irrelevant in this regard since it doesn't pull a majority of a students from the state. It's just another Ivy.

Reaction Score
Part of Temple's problem is that they have gone through decades and decades of awfulness. You can't be terrible, and Temple was often Terrible over the years, and develop any fan base. In many respects they were like Rutgers without Schiano. Reality is that from 1980 until 2009 Temple had 2 winning seasons and one .500 season and none since 1990. Arguably worse than Rutgers. and many of those seasons were beyond dreadful. Over that period they had 7 1-win seasons, 4 2-win seasons and 3 0-win seasons. Students don't go tho the games? Heck, its a wonder the players even bothered going to the games...in fact one has to ask if they actually did sometimes. In the late 70s, early 80s Temple drew respectable home crowds (25-30,000+-) but as we've seen, losing is not good for the gate, and going a couple of decades without winning really hurts it. Before Al Golden, they were as close to an automatic win as there is in sports. Add to that that they didn't really have a home stadium, they played home games at Franklin field, The Vet and sometimes both. Temple would probably benefit greatly from landing a solid head coach who stays a while to rebuild the program though that is easier said than done, obviously, and getting a moderate sized stadium of their own, somehting in the 30,000 range, that won't look empty even when they manage to actually draw a decent crowd.

Reaction Score
I just found out from this thread that Temple is a state school. I always thought it was private. Learn something new everyday!

The way Pennsylvania funds its "public system" is sorta weird compared to most others.

There's the top tier which are called "state-related" universities: Penn State, Pittsburgh, Temple and Lincoln U (one of PA's two HBCUs). They're nominally independent (and with the exception of Penn State, privately-owned) institutions that are state-funded (as opposed to being both state-owned, controlled and funded, like the top tier university systems in most states); the institutions themselves maintain control over their affairs without much in the way of state interference, but still get state money. It's actually a system that works kinda well on a basic level with a large state that has two significant power centers (Philadelphia and Pittsburgh), although there has been some friction at UPitt in recent years over the relationship.

Then there's the second tier of Pennsylvania's actually public universities, the PASSHE system, consisting of all the old teacher's colleges that are now universities (the PSAC D-IIs like Bloomsburg, Indiana, East Stroudsburg, Clarion, etc.), basically the PA equivalent of Connecticut's *CSU system.

justinslot

Reaction Score
Yeah, I tend to think the difference between "state-related" and "public" is small enough that you can just say public and have it be fairly accurate. Or more accurate than calling Temple/PSU/Pitt private schools.

Reaction Score
Maybe they should change their name to UPAP. University of Penn. @ Philadelphia

Reaction Score
The loser who wrote this must be a Men's gymnastics fan. College sports is about marketing the school and hopefully raising some money, the sports Temple cut do nothing to market the school and they don't bring in any money.

Reaction Score
The loser who wrote this must be a Men's gymnastics fan. College sports is about marketing the school and hopefully raising some money, the sports Temple cut do nothing to market the school and they don't bring in any money.

This is a fallacy. Very few succeed enough in sports to market the school. Some develop the veneer of being called a "loser" school. Rutgers years of losing create a stigma. Somebody must lose. For an AAU school that is relatively well supported, the school doesn't attract enough NJ residents. That's a marketing problem. Other schools get by just fine without bigtime football, so I don't see why Temple couldn't. Or Umass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom