Creighton Scouting Report | The Boneyard

Creighton Scouting Report

Reaction Score
I'm ready to move quickly onto the next one...

Creighton: 9-6
Record w/o Kalkbrenner: 0-3
Kenpom Rating: 18

Overall Strength of Schedule: 16th (20th hardest non-con)
Best wins:
  • 90-87 v #9 Arkansas (neutral)
    • Three Bluejays w/ 20+ points (Kalk, Nembhard and Scheierman)
  • 83-61 v #65 Seton Hall
    • Four Bluejays between 14-17 points (Alexander, Kaluma, Kalk, Nembhard)

Worst loss (no “awful” losses):
  • 53-63 hosting #88 Nebraska
    • Team shot only 40% from 2 and 25% from 3

Currently on a seven game winning streak headlined with Big East wins over Seton Hall, Marquette, Butler and DePaul

OFFENSE: 28th in efficiency
  • 30th in 2p% (55.6 2p%)
  • 30th in A/FGM (59.8%)
  • 49th in 3PA/FGA (43.4%)
    • 70th best 3p% (36.3%)
  • 53rd in lowest turnover % (16.7%)
  • 112th in time per possession (16.9 seconds)
  • ~ median FT% (71.4%)
  • Bottom-third nationally in
    • FTA/FGA: 27.9%
    • Offensive rebounding rate (24.5%)

DEFENSE: 23rd in efficiency (2nd best in McDermott’s 13 year tenure)
  • 1st in opponent FTA/FGA 16.2%)
  • 12th in minimizing 3PA/FGA (29.8%)
  • 13th in opponent offensive rebounding rate (22.5%)
  • 61st in average opponent possession length (16.8 seconds)
    • ~near median opponent 3p% (32.9%)
  • 86th in opponent 2p% (46.9%)
  • 323rd in turnover % (16.0%)
dlF7xSQDT4BgU_aGmDV9uiAwwywxEUcsyq-TZj1wEMdEgatFT3z27eHWhzcxkpdmbt_6i1DqoN7HLZkboA-QrW7XklXeT3XaDFDA0TIpHJvdb-EpjAReMnQD7C5Uj3K4jS0gBineJjCYXdbCe6bw6vQwyz0q7sT-cX4safE30ybiVCLpOe2MreHkV8Bpmw
There should be a lot of familiarity between last year and this year’s Creighton squad, namely with Baylor Scheierman stepping into Ryan Hawkins’ starting position.

Like Hawkins last year, Scheierman has the ability to take over a game in a variety of ways and is a very versatile point forward with almost no holes in his game.

Fully healthy after a nasty wrist injury ended his freshman campaign, Ryan Nembhard has slightly improved his shooting splits but has most drastically improved his A/TO ratio from last year by 1.8, making him a much less mistake prone pass-first point guard.

Another much improved sophomore is Trey Alexander. Forced into sharing the point guard duties last year after Nembhard’s injury, Alexander has developed into a sound two-way secondary ball-handling wing who is Creighton’s second best rim attacker vastly improved his three-point shooting (0.5 3PM @ 28.1% last season; 1.7 3PM @ 44.8%).

To me, Kaluma is a bit of an enigma. He’s a long combo forward who can do a little bit of everything, especially on defense, but he is the most mistake prone Bluejay (2.3 TOs).

Of course, Creighton’s low-post anchor is Ryan Kalkbrenner, who, like Sanogo, is shooting threes at a career high rate (0.8 3PA/game). However, 90% of his offense comes from inside the arc, so whichever big guards Kalkbrenner can also focus heavily on help defense if/when Kalkbrenner fades towards the perimeter.

One benefit of Kalkbrenner’s absence was the performance of freshman big Fredrick King (averaged 12 points, 7 rebounds, 2.7 blocks in King’s three starts), making him both arguably the best backup big in the Kalkbrenner era and also a suitable long-term replacement for the post-Kalk years.

1672916834153.png

While McDermott is not afraid to play small, expect most of the game played with two guards, two forwards and a big with floor spacers Mason Miller and Francisco Farabello rarely, if ever, sharing the floor together.

There’s no way to sugarcoat it, Creighton has our number. They’ve been 5-0 against us since we’ve rejoined the Big East.
If there’s a matchup to exploit, it’s Nembhard on D. A capable defender, but 6’0 is 6’0 and this could be Newton’s game to show his ability to attack the rim in conference play.

Also, another good game to experiment with Sanogo and Clingan sharing the floor.

I'll be in attendance for the first time at Gampel this season and CANNOT wait!

Reaction Score
We know exactly how they’re going to play on offense and defense. They’re going to leave shooters open to double Sanogo, and they’re going to bring Sanogo to the perimeter to play defense as much as possible

Are we going to stick strictly to the playbook we’ve used for the last 2 months, or are we going to adjust based on the matchup and game flow? That will decide whether we win or lose.

Thanks as always for the great post!

Reaction Score
Great, just what we need…a game to try and stop the skid against the one coach Hurley cannot beat. This is a must win game if we want to stay in contention for the BE crown. Have to win every single home game at this point

Reaction Score
Two things:

First we haven’t won seven straight, that’s the Providence line. Three straight here.

Second, here’s your Kaluma answer: he got info back that scouts wanted to see him take large leaps in ball handling and shooting. So he deviated from our game plan here and there in order to show that, and what he showed was he couldn’t do it, and tanked his draft stock while hurting the hell out of the team in the process.

He now - at least it looks like - is back in the mindset he was late last season where he’s doing things he’s best at and not abandoning our team game plan to get himself to the Association.

Looking forward to Saturday.

Reaction Score
This is a tough matchup for us. 4 guys that can put it on the deck. Good thing is we’re home and will (hopefully) be pumped up.

Reaction Score
Two things:

First we haven’t won seven straight, that’s the Providence line. Three straight here.

Second, here’s your Kaluma answer: he got info back that scouts wanted to see him take large leaps in ball handling and shooting. So he deviated from our game plan here and there in order to show that, and what he showed was he couldn’t do it, and tanked his draft stock while hurting the hell out of the team in the process.

He now - at least it looks like - is back in the mindset he was late last season where he’s doing things he’s best at and not abandoning our team game plan to get himself to the Association.

Interesting insights and agrees with what I saw watching them vs. Seton Hall the other night.

I like Kaluma in general as a player, but you could literally call a travel, carry, or double-dribble on him almost every play where he gets the ball. Yes I know "everyone does it" but his were glaringly obvious and bad. Every possession where he has the ball for more than a couple of seconds is a bit of an adventure.

Reaction Score
If Sanogo is coming out on the perimeter all game it will he another Kalkbrenner dunkfest. Let's see if Hurley is going to actually listen to himself and find Clingan much more minutes.

This is an incredibly important game to win at home, you lose this one and you're seriously reeling and Milwaukee is the last place you want to play next Wednesday.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Even when I was high on the Kool-Aid this was the one I was\am worried about - our record is embarrassing already against them and sadly I don't see us pulling a W here unless something changes drastically.

Reaction Score
Two things:

That's one thing I have noticed and it makes sense. When Kaluma dribbles the back more than 3 times it usually turns out to be a bad possession for Creighton resulting in a bad shot or turnover.

Reaction Score
We know exactly how they’re going to play on offense and defense. They’re going to leave shooters open to double Sanogo, and they’re going to bring Sanogo to the perimeter to play defense as much as possible

Are we going to stick strictly to the playbook we’ve used for the last 2 months, or are we going to adjust based on the matchup and game flow? That will decide whether we win or lose.

Thanks as always for the great post!
I think our open shooters will make shots today and we’ll win this game. Having Clingan will be a huge advantage which we didn’t have in prior years to help deal with Kalkbrenner.

Reaction Score
Key : How much time will Cling play?

Interested to see if Adama can outmuscle Kalkbrenner or if the refs call it tight.

Reaction Score
Keys to the game:

Slowing down Kalkbrenner on rolls.
Our shooting.
Our fouls on defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members