Credit to Spanos | The Boneyard

Credit to Spanos

Reaction Score
While he may not be here past this season, you can see that he just wants the players to enjoy themselves and the game. Any type of negative play he’s always clapping encouraging them to keep their heads up. Really love the players response to Lou. He’s doing what interims should do. Just have fun. He brought this team from an embarrassment to this in a few weeks. I can see that resulting in 2-3 wins the rest of the way. I don’t think this team wins 2 games under Edsall. So props to Spanos.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Great work by the coaching staff. This could easily have gotten much worse the last couple of weeks. Credit to the players also..they have all stepped up. I’m proud of them all.

Reaction Score
credit Spanos for that... he knew he had a problem and did something to fix it. The last 3 guys certainly didn't do that.
Spanos showed something that Randy Edsall never has, even during his first stint - self awareness.

Spanos is a defensive coach and sought offensive help. That is a good leader.

He won’t have a problem finding a job next year - he is well regarded in the NFL, I would not be shocked if he returns to the pro ranks.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
While he may not be here past this season, you can see that he just wants the players to enjoy themselves and the game. Any type of negative play he’s always clapping encouraging them to keep their heads up. Really love the players response to Lou. He’s doing what interims should do. Just have fun. He brought this team from an embarrassment to this in a few weeks. I can see that resulting in 2-3 wins the rest of the way. I don’t think this team wins 2 games under Edsall. So props to Spanos.
Well said. I thought the exact same thing today. He stayed UP all game despite bad plays and it translated into players playing up. Great post

Reaction Score
A good coach puts together a good game plan based on the talent around him. Edsall was not a good coach.

Thank god we are finally seeing a real potent ofense that's exciting vs. the crap Edsall sent out week after week.

We also found QB of the future in Tyler Phommachanh. With Edsall, we probably still got Jack Zergiotis as the starter throwing one INT after another.

Reaction Score
A good coach puts together a good game plan based on the talent around him. Edsall was not a good coach.

Thank god we are finally seeing a real potent ofense that's exciting vs. the crap Edsall sent out week after week.

We also found QB of the future in Tyler Phommachanh. With Edsall, we probably still got Jack Zergiotis as the starter throwing one INT after another.
That’s the thing I don’t understand. Why on earth would Edsall bury Tyler Phommachanh down on scout team and not give him the opportunity to play? He had a gem there and for some reason deliberately didn’t play him.

Reaction Score
That’s the thing I don’t understand. Why on earth would Edsall bury Tyler Phommachanh down on scout team and not give him the opportunity to play? He had a gem there and for some reason deliberately didn’t play him.

He probably took a campus visit elsewhere after he committed to UConn and Randy needed to teach him about accountability and loyalty.

Reaction Score
1. Our guys aren't a bunch of inferior losers.

2. Coaching matters.

3. Spanos came in with the right attitude and some competence.He's refocused and transformed the offense, and kept the team motivated. The right guy for this moment. He as a chance to write the rest of the script.

Reaction Score
Tyler Phommachanh is the kind of athlete that may actually help encourage a coach to come here, feeling he's got talent to work with.
Speaking of talent, I didn’t see Travis on the field today. Injury?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Spanos showed something that Randy Edsall never has, even during his first stint - self awareness.

Spanos is a defensive coach and sought offensive help. That is a good leader.

He won’t have a problem finding a job next year - he is well regarded in the NFL, I would not be shocked if he returns to the pro ranks.
It this game only emphasizes how bad RE was. He had two years and things got worse. Spanos had 2 weeks and things got better!

In less than a month the team has gone from aimlessly existing on a playing surface to a team with an identity. Much of that credit should go to Spanos for reorganizing his staff and that flowing down to the depth chart and on field performance.

Still don't think Spanos gets job as HC but he has done well showing what he would look like as a long term solution for someone.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Without getting too far of ourselves, I wouldn't call the offense potent. It is showing signs of competency. There were definitely plays out there where players got open and Tyler Phommachanh just blew the throw. It's okay. I think he'll get better.

But potent? In today's college game potent offenses are in the 50's against top-15 level teams. Huskies are still light years from that.

Reaction Score
If the improvements continue, Spanos deserves a look at the permanent job. I can’t take you seriously if you believe otherwise.

I totally agree. Especially if Mazzone can be his OC. I'm very impressed with Mazzone. If the players rally around Spanos and Mazzone and the team continues to improve they might end up setting the bar pretty high for the next coach.

Interview the best candidates and then make your choice, but maybe, just maybe Spanos/Mazzone ends up winning the interview and the job. To rule this possibility out completely would just be outright foolish.

One thing we can't tolerate is another coach coming in here and telling us it's a "full tear down, 3 year rebuild" Fluck that. Find a way to win some games with the current talent or don't even apply for the job and if Spanos is that guy then he is the guy (period)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Without getting too far of ourselves, I wouldn't call the offense potent. It is showing signs of competency. There were definitely plays out there where players got open and Tyler Phommachanh just blew the throw. It's okay. I think he'll get better.

But potent? In today's college game potent offenses are in the 50's against top-15 level teams. Huskies are still light years from that.

You have to grade the offense on a curve because it's a true freshman QB and Mazzone is new. Imagine what these two might be able to accomplish with 10 games of experience under their belt and a full offseason of practice and study. That projection into the future is what I think is very exciting.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If the improvements continue, Spanos deserves a look at the permanent job. I can’t take you seriously if you believe otherwise.
Would be a big win win for UConn. Don’t have to pay him 1.5 mil and can allocate a cool 500 k to the staff instead. Do I think he gets the job? Unfortunately no. It seems AD David Benedict is gunna clear out any stench of edsall. Even if it’s positive. But I’m rooting for him. If he wins a couple out the gate I think he deserves consideration. Can you blame the Purdue and army game on him? A little bit not much. Takes a bit to work out kinks. I’ll be looking closely. Spanos checks off a lot of boxes for me though. As for the UConn financial picture, it would behoove them to give him a serious look.

Reaction Score
Only thing I can think of is that Edsall was playing the long game and trying to redshirt him. Besides Edsall never loved playing fast Always wanted to shorten the game for the defense. Tyler’s raw but so much better than Steven Krajewski and Jack Zergiotis

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom