OT - CREC football coach attacked by players at potluck dinner in Enfield | The Boneyard

OT - CREC football coach attacked by players at potluck dinner in Enfield

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
ENFIELD, CT (WFSB) -

A Capitol Region Education Council junior varsity football coach was attacked by players at a potluck dinner in Enfield on Thursday.

Police said the unidentified coach required medical attention and a hospital trip after suffering serious injuries to his face. Police said his eye was swollen shut.

The attack happened in the parking lot of the CREC Public Safety Academy in Enfield, and police said it was unprovoked and involved three members of the team.

Police said the JV coach was walking toward his car when he was attacked from behind by three team members. When he fell to the ground, police said he was kicked in the head.

The 15 year olds are from Hartford and Vernon. The 14-year-old is from Vernon.

Two of the students attend the CREC Aerospace Academy in Windsor, and the other student goes to the CREC Metropolitan Learning Center in Bloomfield.

CREC football coach attacked by players at potluck dinner in Enfield

Wishing the coach a speedy recovery.

Reaction Score
They should be banned from HS sports for at least a year or two, possibly even expelled depending on the back story. Getting into a fight during a game happens. Sucker-punching, and then jumping, a coach from behind is a much more serious matter.

If the coach is that much of a jerk, there have to be other ways to deal with the situation. If they were somehow provoked because he had put his hands on one of them, then maybe the punishment isn't so severe, but this type of thing can't happen without the players facing serious punishment.

Reaction Score
They should be banned from HS sports for at least a year or two, possibly even expelled depending on the back story. Getting into a fight during a game happens. Sucker-punching, and then jumping, a coach from behind is a much more serious matter.

If the coach is that much of a jerk, there have to be other ways to deal with the situation. If they were somehow provoked because he had put his hands on one of them, then maybe the punishment isn't so severe, but this type of thing can't happen without the players facing serious punishment.

I'll wait to see the details before I pass any sort of judgment on this one. There are some terrible people out there coaching HS sports for all the wrong reasons.

Reaction Score
I'll wait to see the details before I pass any sort of judgment on this one. There are some terrible people out there coaching HS sports for all the wrong reasons.
I understand that. I thought I left myself room for some accountability for the coach as well, but what we do know is that three kids jumped him from behind. That's enough to warrant being kicked off the team and potentially expelled from school., even if they had their own reason to "justify" their actions. Once we learn more, there could certainly be severe punishment for the coach as well, but as of right now, he's the victim and we don't know what was done to provoke this attack.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
They should be booted out of the school, period. There is no reason for this to happen and if there was an issue before then they should have gone to the AD or Principle to discuss the issue. This is no way to handle a situation

Reaction Score
I understand that. I thought I left myself room for some accountability for the coach as well, but what we do know is that three kids jumped him from behind. That's enough to warrant being kicked off the team and potentially expelled from school., even if they had their own reason to "justify" their actions. Once we learn more, there could certainly be severe punishment for the coach as well, but as of right now, he's the victim and we don't know what was done to provoke this attack.
Agreed, I was just piggybacking off your comment

Reaction Score
They should be booted out of the school, period. There is no reason for this to happen and if there was an issue before then they should have gone to the AD or Principle to discuss the issue. This is no way to handle a situation
Principals and ADs can be useless. There was a coach in my HS who did more than enough to be fired but he was friends with the AD and he protected him. No one ever attacked him but I wouldn't blame anyone if they had

Reaction Score
Forget about expulsion from the team... This could be jail time.
Juveniles probably won’t see jail time. But I understand what you’re saying.

They’re kids, they don’t make rational decisions. Hopefully this isn’t something that ruins their lives going forward, more importantly hopefully the coach is okay.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score

They’re kids, they don’t make rational decisions. Hopefully this isn’t something that ruins their lives going forward, more importantly hopefully the coach is okay.

im sorry but I was a kid once and I NEVER made the irrational decision to jump a football coach. also those saying the coach may have done something, witness say that the attack was completely unprovoked.

Reaction Score

Ive had students serve time for less.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I've sent boys younger than you to the gas chamber, Danny. Didn't want to do it...felt I owed to them.

Our own "Judge Smails", played by the late, great Ted Knight (whose real Polish last name is unpronounceable) from Terryville.

Reaction Score
WHat back story do you need to hear? A couple punk teenagers jumped a coach, sucker punched and kicked him in the head sending him to the hospital. There is no excuse for that anyway you look at it.

Reaction Score
WHat back story do you need to hear? A couple punk teenagers jumped a coach, sucker punched and kicked him in the head sending him to the hospital. There is no excuse for that anyway you look at it.
This wasn't a random attack where some kids jumped a stranger. Only a fool wouldn't care at all about what prompted it. While those kids likely will and should be punished severely, not bothering to investigate could potentially mean someone is out there continuing to hurt kids in one manner or another. And we really shouldn't have to list the many ways adults can hurt kids both mentally and physically for you.

Reaction Score
im sorry but I was a kid once and I NEVER made the irrational decision to jump a football coach. also those saying the coach may have done something, witness say that the attack was completely unprovoked.
1) So? Do you want a plaque or a trophy? Teenagers do not have fully developed brains. They do dumb things. It doesn't excuse it, but it's a scientific fact, not simply my opinion.
2) Witnesses saw the attack, but have no idea what transpired between the kids and the coach in the minutes, days, hours, weeks, months, or even years before the attack. They can testify to what they saw. But just because they didn't see anything provoke the attack, doesn't mean that nothing provoked the attack.

I've tried to make it clear that I'm not defending their actions, but juveniles are treated differently than adults in the court's eyes for a reason. I think kids can be punished without the sort of sentence that would only result in them becoming products of the prison system, which is more likely to turn them into career criminals than anything else. And there's no reason to assume that this attack was 100% unprovoked. If the police are doing their job, they are asking the kids why they did it; and if not, their lawyers are.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
1) So? Do you want a plaque or a trophy? Teenagers do not have fully developed brains. They do dumb things. It doesn't excuse it, but it's a scientific fact, not simply my opinion.
2) Witnesses saw the attack, but have no idea what transpired between the kids and the coach in the minutes, days, hours, weeks, months, or even years before the attack. They can testify to what they saw. But just because they didn't see anything provoke the attack, doesn't mean that nothing provoked the attack.

I've tried to make it clear that I'm not defending their actions, but juveniles are treated differently than adults in the court's eyes for a reason. I think kids can be punished without the sort of sentence that would only result in them becoming products of the prison system, which is more likely to turn them into career criminals than anything else. And there's no reason to assume that this attack was 100% unprovoked. If the police are doing their job, they are asking the kids why they did it; and if not, their lawyers are.

Dont want anything, I just expect people in this world not to act like pieces of garbage. I dont care if he did say something to provoke them or not, you dont sucker punch someone like a punk. You wanna throw hands fine but not like that. Im tired of everyone in this world using excuses for their actions, guess what, you did some stupid @$$ shtit and now you have to pay the consequences.

Reaction Score
Dont want anything, I just expect people in this world not to act like pieces of garbage. I dont care if he did say something to provoke them or not, you dont sucker punch someone like a punk. You wanna throw hands fine but not like that. Im tired of everyone in this world using excuses for their actions, guess what, you did some stupid @$$ shtit and now you have to pay the consequences.
They're kids.

Reaction Score
so they should be excused from their actions?
Literally nobody has said that.

I also didn't excuse what they did, nor did I say there shouldn't be consequences.

But your attitude ignores the fact that the coach may have behaved like a piece of garbage too, and may also deserve punishment.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom