Creating an Olympic-style event for Division 1 sports | The Boneyard

Creating an Olympic-style event for Division 1 sports

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Matt Brown (Extra Points) has mentioned that there has been some interest in this in his newsletter before but I would like expound on this.

I believe if the NCAA had its own version of the Olympics (for a 17-day event in late May every year in one city), it would be a hit. People root for schools, not athletes, in college sports. I believe the public would get behind this event as they would want to root for their school even if they don't like all of the sports.

The sports I would not include would be football, M/W basketball, baseball, softball, and skiing.

The CFP, March Madness, and the CWS/SWS are their own thing and should stay that way. Skiing is a winter sport so it would not be included.

The following sports would be included for both sexes:
Water Polo
Volleyball
Indoor track/field
Outdoor track/field
Cross country
Tennis
Swimming/diving
Soccer
Lacrosse
Hockey
Gymnastics
Golf
Cross country

The following co-ed sports would included:
Fencing
Rifle

The following male sport would be included:
Wrestling

The following female sports would be included:
Bowling
Beach volleyball
Field hockey
Rowing

For sports where the NCAA tournament has more than 16 participants, regional qualifiers would pair down the teams to a 12 or 16-team field. For instance, in soccer the men's college cup has 48 teams. There would be 16 regionals with each of the top 16 teams hosting a regional to get to the College Olympics.

If this happened, I would like to see a small opening ceremony with the delegations from each school with at least one athlete and a small closing ceremony.

There would also be a medal count just like the Olympics.

Certain seasons would need to change. In soccer, the regular season would be played over both semesters with one game per week instead of two (this is already a proposal). Hockey would delay its season one month.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I posted this somewhere else and there was positive feedback but many said they would like to see a basketball component. It would not take the place of March Madness, but be an entirely separate deal. My proposal for that:

Have a 12-team tournament with the four Final 4 participants and the regular season champs of the top 8 ranked leagues by KenPom. If 1-4 of the Final 4 participants also won their regular season title, leagues 9-12 would see their regular season champ participate.

If Olympic tournament was done via this method (no qualifying needed), these would be the teams (I used Sagarin in this example)
UConn (National champs)
SDSU (Runners-up and league #8 champs)
FAU (Final Four and league #10 champs)
Miami (Final Four and league #6 champs)
Kansas (league #1 champ)
Purdue (league #2 champ)
Marquette (league #3 champ)
Alabama (league #4 champ)
UCLA (league #5 champ)
Houston (league #7 champ)
St. Mary's (league #9 champ)
VCU (league #11 champ)

In the group stage, teams from the same league or teams who met in the tournament could not face each other.

Pot 1: UConn, SDSU, Kansas (Two finalist and league #1 champ)
Pot 2: FAU, Miami, Purdue (Two losing semifinalist and league #2 champ)
Pot 3: Marquette, Alabama, UCLA (leagues #3-5 champs)
Pot 4: Houston, St. Mary's, VCU (leagues #7,9,11 champs)

Group A: UConn, FAU, UCLA, VCU
Group B: SDSU, Purdue, Marquette, St. Mary's
Group C: Kansas, Miami, Alabama, Houston

Top two from each group and two best third-place finishers advance to quarterfinals. First two tiebreakers are head to head and total point difference.

Reaction Score
I posted this somewhere else and there was positive feedback but many said they would like to see a basketball component. It would not take the place of March Madness, but be an entirely separate deal. My proposal for that:

Have a 12-team tournament with the four Final 4 participants and the regular season champs of the top 8 ranked leagues by KenPom. If 1-4 of the Final 4 participants also won their regular season title, leagues 9-12 would see their regular season champ participate.

If Olympic tournament was done via this method (no qualifying needed), these would be the teams (I used Sagarin in this example)
UConn (National champs)
SDSU (Runners-up and league #8 champs)
FAU (Final Four and league #10 champs)
Miami (Final Four and league #6 champs)
Kansas (league #1 champ)
Purdue (league #2 champ)
Marquette (league #3 champ)
Alabama (league #4 champ)
UCLA (league #5 champ)
Houston (league #7 champ)
St. Mary's (league #9 champ)
VCU (league #11 champ)

In the group stage, teams from the same league or teams who met in the tournament could not face each other.

Pot 1: UConn, SDSU, Kansas (Two finalist and league #1 champ)
Pot 2: FAU, Miami, Purdue (Two losing semifinalist and league #2 champ)
Pot 3: Marquette, Alabama, UCLA (leagues #3-5 champs)
Pot 4: Houston, St. Mary's, VCU (leagues #7,9,11 champs)

Group A: UConn, FAU, UCLA, VCU
Group B: SDSU, Purdue, Marquette, St. Mary's
Group C: Kansas, Miami, Alabama, Houston

Top two from each group and two best third-place finishers advance to quarterfinals. First two tiebreakers are head to head and total point difference.
Instead of that, how about 3-on-3 basketball?

Reaction Score
Neat concept but I don’t see why any defending NCAA basketball champion would want to prove themselves again a couple of months later. And it’s likely that they will be losing players to the NBA. The answer is 3-on-3 basketball like someone else just mentioned.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Neat concept but I don’t see why any defending NCAA basketball champion would want to prove themselves again a couple of months later. And it’s likely that they will be losing players to the NBA. The answer is 3-on-3 basketball like someone else just mentioned.
That’s fine with me. My proposal didn’t have basketball. If they had a basketball component (as some had suggested), I wouldn’t be disappointed though.

Reaction Score
Yeah 5 on 5 basketball is not a good idea. Hockey would absolutely love the longer sports year they would argue for.

The real problem is you're going to make a lot of fall sports into spring sports and they often use the same fields, soccer, lax, and field hockey often use the same facilities.

I think the idea has some merit though.

Reaction Score
That’s fine with me. My proposal didn’t have basketball. If they had a basketball component (as some had suggested), I wouldn’t be disappointed though.
How about intramural teams. Competition starts at the school. Win your school's league them participate in Olympics.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
How about intramural teams. Competition starts at the school. Win your school's league them participate in Olympics.
That or a 3v3 is interesting to me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom