create a conf | The Boneyard

create a conf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
what does it take to create one for real? i realize you cant just pop one up and get a bcs bid, but could some 1 make a conf and then make a run at a bcs bid down the road? what i'm getting at is some 1 with some smarts should jump on it.

right now the BE is a mess and the pac/acc/sec/b10 are safe. the b12 is also a mess but for now safe. there are a ton of midmajors but all spread out. cusa/mwc/wac etc. why doesn't some 1 stand up and get some minds together and put a full out assult of cf??? some 1 like a Versus would throw them $$ if not espn.

just a simple example-the ad at ecu calls up ucf who calls memphis who calls uh who calls bosie etc down the line. for the purpose of this they call it the "big county conf". they say lets play all sports but of corse were 95% football focused with bball considerations also.
we can go big and play 2 divisions that don't touch each other until, a ship game. the winner of that ship game will get a nice bowl bid becuase they will get some nice bowl ties if this happens(being real). this conf over the past 5 years has seen teams have great seasons, some undefeated and bcs bowls. maybe the winner of the ship game goes 13-0 and now with a more legit schedule is in the bcs game as a nonbcs quailfer. its def possible with a stronger schedule. would they get a sweet huge tv deal? no. but it wouldn't be a horrible deal either, it would easily be a nice bump tv $$ wise for these teams and they would easily make noise in the cf world and on the recruit trail. heck make one of those 3 ooc games a rival game vs a team from the other division. it would be a extra quality game for those teams and it would close out the bcs schools more.

east-ecu/ucf/uh/smu/memphis/tulane/uab/southmiss/navy/marshall
west-fresno/sdsu/hawaii/bosie/byu//wy/nevada/tulsa/newmex

if these teams say no-grab the mk elsewhere
byu-utahst
-colo st
navy-temple
or switch teams as u wish, its not the total point.

these teams all playing each other completely now f with the bcs leagues. they are playing a 9 game conf sch with a ship game as the end result. that leaves them with 3 ooc games a year. 1 of those will always be a fcs warmup. that leaves 2 games. now bcs teams who love scheduling these midmajors for quality wins will have trouble filling there schedules. this league with all these teams together doesn't have to schedule 2 or 3 big time games becuase they don't need the sos boost. now they can schedule one big time game and be fine in the bcs #'s. this also gets these guys together in one united fight and away from some of the weaker teams in each of there conf's. instead of playing rice and idaho and san jose, they now play teams on the same level which is a huge step for them.

i don't know if anything like this is possible, but if it is, how come no one is stepping up to the plate and making wheels turn? i realize the cusa nd mwc are tying to form some alliance but that doesn't do it. not even close.

Reaction Score
The ACC is not safe. I can actually see the B1G taking perhaps UConn, Rutgers, UMD, and UVA to go to 16. SEC can take NC State and Virginia Tech. That leaves a weak ACC.

Reaction Score
The ACC is not safe. I can actually see the B1G taking perhaps UConn, Rutgers, UMD, and UVA to go to 16. SEC can take NC State and Virginia Tech. That leaves a weak ACC.

I can see myself dating Scarlet Johansson too, she's single now after all.

Reaction Score
Who is safer - ACC or BE? ACC or Big12? VA and VaTech are joined at the hip thanks to the last round of expansion. And NC State will never leave the ACC. Just ask any woofie and they will tell you how they are one of the major controlling schools in the ACC and how, despite its expansion, the ACC still stands for the All Carolina Conference.

To the original poster, the issue for Uconn, Rutgers and to a lesser extent Cinci and Lville is that they have a seat at the big boy table right now and can get a BCS bowl bid as a right. I say lesser extent for Ville and Cinci because they were not at the table until recently. By abandoning the BE, that seat is lost and might not be regained. Scheduling OOC conference games would be significantly harder. Also, if all the schools you listed decided they wanted to be an all sports conference, that would include a lot of non-revenue sports and a lot of multiple time zone travel. One of the early criticisms of BC's move to the ACC was the increased travel costs. Can you imagine sending cross country, soccer, softball, field hockey, etc. to Boise and the west coast once per year for a series of 3 games? That is a long, costly trip with flights, hotels, transportation and meals, not to mention the time out of class for such trips. There is a reason no such all sports conference exists and part of it is just plain logistics and costs. While it might work for a FB only confederation (since FB generates significant income), no way it works for all sports.

Reaction Score
Nothing stops a conference from forming. In fact, Conference USA and the Mountain West are relatively new conferences. The problem is getting enough schools to join on. I think the above post by 06029 clearly outlines some of the problems. No one wants to send all sports across multiple time zones if they can avoid it. Besides, isn't this exactly what the Big East is trying to do? Cobble together the absolute best of the leftovers in a football conference?

P.S. I'd also agree that the vulnerability of the ACC is overstated. I don't think the B1G cares about expansion unless the name Notre Dame is involved. It's simply not worth it. As for the SEC, schools like NC State and Virginia Tech are tied politically to their instate rivals, making separation difficult. The school most likely to jump to the SEC would be Florida State, except not sure the SEC really wants them (they'd prefer a NC State, VT, or Maryland). People exagerate the motives on moving. Sure the SEC makes the most money, but schools are fleeing the problematic conferenes like the Big 12 and Big East. Schools aren't jumping from stable BCS conferences. Which isn't to say the ACC won't lose teams, I just find it unlikely.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Nothing stops a conference from forming. In fact, Conference USA and the Mountain West are relatively new conferences. The problem is getting enough schools to join on. I think the above post by 06029 clearly outlines some of the problems. No one wants to send all sports across multiple time zones if they can avoid it. Besides, isn't this exactly what the Big East is trying to do? Cobble together the absolute best of the leftovers in a football conference?

P.S. I'd also agree that the vulnerability of the ACC is overstated. I don't think the B1G cares about expansion unless the name Notre Dame is involved. It's simply not worth it. As for the SEC, schools like NC State and Virginia Tech are tied politically to their instate rivals, making separation difficult. The school most likely to jump to the SEC would be Florida State, except not sure the SEC really wants them (they'd prefer a NC State, VT, or Maryland). People exagerate the motives on moving. Sure the SEC makes the most money, but schools are fleeing the problematic conferenes like the Big 12 and Big East. Schools aren't jumping from stable BCS conferences. Which isn't to say the ACC won't lose teams, I just find it unlikely.

The ACC isn't going anywhere. They could lose a school or two to the SEC, but the B1G is not going to dip down to Maryland and UVA. It's a great lakes/rust belt conference. For all people scoff at this, these conferences, especially the Big Ten, have identities.

Yes, the Big East is trying to cobble together the best "football" schools, but the problem is that by dragging along the BB only schools, that becomes complicated. Very few football programs can find a viable home for their Olympic sports outside of their FB conference. Look at the gyrations ND is going through to keep its arrangement intact. BYU has that deal, but it is doubtful that SDSU, UNLV, Nevada or others would be able to pull it off. Meanwhile, UConn and Rutgers are the geographic outliers. All these other schools could make an all sports conference work, especially if you had east and west divisions.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
thats not my point tho guys. i didn't include ruty/uconn/cincy/lville in this for the purpose of looking at other schools. lets say ruty/uconn goto the acc and cicny/lville to the b12.

that big country conf i made up in the 1st post has 2 divisions that don't see each other on the field accept for 1 rival game(if they wanted to do it). so the travel cost and stuff isnt a excuse.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The ACC is looking for a rewrite of its media contract with ESPN. You have to wonder if all the problems that the ACC member schools are having will cause ESPN to adjust their contracts downward.

Any who, only three conferences are set: the PAC, the SEC and the B!G. Anything can happen to the other conferences. Currently the probability for survival is the ACC>B13>BE. But that doesn't mean things can change for these three conferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom