Crean Meets with Pitt | The Boneyard

Crean Meets with Pitt

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Good.

I hope they hire him so we cant even entertain the notion of flirting with that demented jack-o-lantern any more on here.
you are being way too kind AW

Reaction Score
Have we met with anyone? I really hate to put all out efforts in on a coach who had turned down other programs.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Good.

I hope they hire him so we cant even entertain the notion of flirting with that demented jack-o-lantern any more on here.
Tom-Crean1.0.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Last edited:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Good. Let's hope the Panthers take him off the board. I definitely don't want to be around here in the unlikely event we get turned down by a few others, and are left with limited other options so we pick this nutjob.

Reaction Score
A self destructive side of me wants Crean as the coach. Think of the memes. The guy just fascinates me. People who know him will either say he is the nicest, most genuine person they know. Or, he is a 2 faced nightmare of a person. Crean being the coach and working out would be my top overall scenario but I don't have as much confidence in him succeeding as I do other coaches and DB is hopefully too smart to hire him.

Reaction Score
Good for Pitt for being aggressive. Hopefully we have a plan on who we are going to interview. I figure after 5 years of coaching girls high school basketball, I sent in my resume for our coaching position. :D Hey that rejection letter looks good on my resume or in my classroom. I can tell my students that I was dreaming BIG!!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Good. Let's hope the Panthers take him off the board. I definitely don't want to be around here in the unlikely event we get turned down by a few others, and are left with limited other options so we pick this nutjob.
I always forget that they’re the Panthers.

Reaction Score
The thing people are going to have to remember about Pitt is that their recruiting footprint has changed and they're going to have to find a guy who can adapt to that and sorta change up their traditional thinking.

Look I love Hurley here - but I'm not sure I love him as much at Pitt. Sure - the Jersey connection will be helpful to a degree, but Philly is a tough get and always has been for Pitt. And they play in a league with mostly southern schools. I think the thing that's hurt 'Cuse, BC, Pitt, etc - has been that. And even assuming that, it's not something you can just walk in and do magically by hiring a Bubba with some connections (see Stallings).

I really feel like for Pitt - Crean makes sense because he's kind of been able to recruit in no-man's land and make a go of things. He's got some history at the school. And he's a safe, proven choice. I think that also makes him an interesting option at UConn, but I'm not sure we're as interesting to him.

It's also a total and complete rebuild, which is something Crean's got history doing twice and Hurley has been vocal about not wanting to take part in. Here, you've got a McDonald's All American coming back, Christian Vital... looking like Jalen Adams and Sid Wilson, too... you have something to work with. With that talent, he should be on a year 2 or 3 of a rebuild as opposed to 4 or 5 years out, which realistically is where Pitt is. Sure, it's a P5 job, but it's not a terribly sexy one right now.

Reaction Score
Crean's a nutbag, but he's a good coach. He also has midwest connections that Pitt probably needs to tap into to make Pitt relevant.

I don't want him here for a number of reasons, but I think Pitt is a great place for him, or Matta for that matter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom