CRDA Upgrading XL Center's 'Embarrassing' Conditions | The Boneyard

CRDA Upgrading XL Center's 'Embarrassing' Conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's tough to argue with UConn basketball Coach Geno Auriemma's observations Wednesday that the city's XL Center needs work — a lot of work — to make it a worthy off-campus home court of the country's two top college basketball programs.

Michael W. Freimuth, chief executive of the Capital Region Development Authority, doesn't even try.

"He's absolutely right, this building needs to get with it," Freimuth said. "We need this building to be a 2015 smart structure. That is unquestionably correct."

Freimuth said $35 million in state-funded upgrades are now underway and expected to be largely completed by October. And, on Friday, the CRDA, which oversees operations at XL, will begin seeking a consultant to determine if the existing facility on Trumbull Street can be transformed in the future into a next-generation venue or whether the best option would be to build a new arena.

On Wednesday, Auriemma hosted an afternoon show on WTIC-AM radio and discussed a variety of topics, including conditions at the XL.

"All I know is this: When you have the two best [college] basketball programs in America [playing in your facility] and someone were to go to the XL Center and walk around downstairs, down below where we play, and didn't know anything about who plays in that building and someone said, 'Hey, you know the two best basketball teams in America call this place home, you would be astonished at the [amenities] that we don't have that [UConn's basketball programs] need," Auriemma told listeners, in response to a question.

Freimuth said the locker rooms are "embarrassing. I don't defend them. They need to be ripped down to the bones, and that's what we're doing."

Four new locker rooms are being constructed for the AHL's Wolf Pack, the UConn hockey team, the UConn men's and women's basketball teams and visiting teams, Freimuth said.

http://www.courant.com/business/rea...pital-region-developm-20140612,0,229190.story

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'd love to see, but I wonder how it can be justified. Would a new arena really generate a decent ROI? That said, it's a better investment than subsidizing ESPN while they are paying the ACC to eviscerated the old Big East.

Reaction Score
They need to talk to the NHL really. They need a lot of income to justify it.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
After reading some of the comments out of UCONN, I hope that a new arena could lure another tenant of some sort to ease some of the "tremendous political pressure" of UCONN having to play games in Hartford. UCONN should play the majority of its games at Gampel with a handful of games in Hartford (ex - during school breaks and maybe 1 "big" game per year).

Reaction Score
They need to build a new arena, period. They can put lipstick on the old pig, but it is what it is. The question is when and how big (the NHL ain't never coming back, so they need to let that dream go).

Political pressure aside, I hope they (UConn) continue to keep a large presence in Hartford. And its hard to argue they won't w/the new school and the new President's home in town.

Reaction Score
They need to build a new arena, period. They can put lipstick on the old pig, but it is what it is. The question is when and how big (the NHL ain't never coming back, so they need to let that dream go).

Political pressure aside, I hope they (UConn) continue to keep a large presence in Hartford. And its hard to argue they won't w/the new school and the new President's home in town.

The arena needs to be big enough to lure one of those southern hockey teams. Hartford can do better than what Phoenix, Florida, Dallas and even Columbus can do. Eventually, a couple of those teams are going to leave. One probably for Toronto/Hamilton, or perhaps Portland or Seattle, but Hartford is viable.

Reaction Score
The arena needs to be big enough to lure one of those southern hockey teams. Hartford can do better than what Phoenix, Florida, Dallas and even Columbus can do. Eventually, a couple of those teams are going to leave. One probably for Toronto/Hamilton, or perhaps Portland or Seattle, but Hartford is viable.

you've got a better chance of getting BC to endorse UConn in to the ACC then getting the Rangers and Bruins to agree to let Hartford have a team back. You're right that the expansion west and south generally failed, but Hartford is not on the radar - Seattle, KC, Cleveland, Toronto, Vegas, Houston, Quebec, Portland and others are all ahead of Hartford in line. Hartford may be viable in our eyes (and I would buy season tix tomorrow if they were coming back), but I simply don't see the league giving the town even a glance. As such, building a 20K arena might be unnecessary.

Reaction Score
it might make a lot of sense to make a smaller (non-NHL) arena in Hartford, but make it a Cadillac.

Reaction Score
you've got a better chance of getting BC to endorse UConn in to the ACC then getting the Rangers and Bruins to agree to let Hartford have a team back. You're right that the expansion west and south generally failed, but Hartford is not on the radar - Seattle, KC, Cleveland, Toronto, Vegas, Houston, Quebec, Portland and others are all ahead of Hartford in line. Hartford may be viable in our eyes (and I would buy season tix tomorrow if they were coming back), but I simply don't see the league giving the town even a glance. As such, building a 20K arena might be unnecessary.

KC, Vegas, Houston just reproduces the southern debacle all over again. The others should be possibilities.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Most NHL arenas can seat between 17,000-18,500, but's It's not about the arena's capacity, it's about seat distribution, sight lines, arena use, and amenities. Luxury boxes need to be below the second level, they need to be priced to sell, and they need to be...well...better than what the XL currently has to offer. They cannot be the worst seat in the house with the exact same concessions with even further inflated prices.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If the Blue Jackets move, the NHL isn't going to put a team two hours up the road in Cleveland. Houston is a non-starter. Hockey should not be a permanent fixture in any urban area if the population cannot maintain an outdoor rink for any length of time ant any point during the year.

I

IHeartStairs

NY and Boston can't block a move to Hartford as we are more than 50 miles away from their city limits. This myth has been debunked several times all over the internet but it keeps coming back. Also the only city on your list that is a certain at this point is Seattle via expansion. Hartford would be foolish to dump any more money into the XL as it would kill any hopes of a major league team and would only keep UConn happy for the short term. Knock it down and build a new 17-18k seat barn and both UConn and us hockey dreamers would be satisfied.

I

IHeartStairs

KC, Vegas, Houston just reproduces the southern debacle all over again. The others should be possibilities.

Seattle is a slam dunk if a new arena ever gets built, Quebec would have tremendous support and has a new building but the size of the market would be by far the smallest in the league not to mention it's a french speaking population which drove away many players and coaches back in the day. The NHL told QC to not build the arena on their watch but has reportedly told Hartford to build if it wants to be taken seriously.

Reaction Score

Herbst lives on campus in the President's home wither family...the home purchased in Hartford was to hold dinners, meetings and fundraisers..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom