Crashing the Boards | The Boneyard

Crashing the Boards

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Rebounding is a fundamental basketball skill, the “dirty work” under the boards at both ends of the court that so often represents the difference between winning and losing. SC is a prime example. There are a bunch of teams that run more sophisticated offenses and shoot it better than SC, but no other team rebounded better than the Gamecocks last season on their way to a national championship.

UConn has generally been a good, but perhaps not great, rebounding team. Last year’s team was +6.4 rpg over 36 games, which is pretty good. But UConn has always been viewed more as a finesse team, running a sophisticated motion offense that creates open looks and easy baskets. For the most part, that strategy serves the Huskies well, except in tough matchups with the likes of SC and other teams that were bigger, stronger and, it pains me to say this, tougher than the Huskies.

So far this season UConn is shooting the lights out again: 53% from the floor, 43% from the arc and 77% from the FT line. But there is something different about this team when it comes to rebounding. In their first 11 games, arguably the toughest part of the schedule, with Dorka missing 7 games and Ice lost for the season, UConn has outrebounded 10 of 11 opponents, typically by double digits, often getting second chance points on offense while holding opponents to just one shot defensively. The one notable exception was the game against ND in South Bend.

Through 11 games, UConn is a remarkable +10.5 rpg vs some big, physical opponents. How exactly did this happen? Here is what I am seeing:

All-hands on deck – Rebounding is no longer the job of 1 or 2 players. Every Husky rebounds. That’s not to say that UConn doesn’t get out on the break. The Huskies are running as well as ever. But when a shot goes up, players in position for a rebound go after it, and players on the perimeter take off on the break, regardless of whether they are guards or forwards. There was a play I loved in the Seton Hall game where Nika, UConn’s shortest player, came down with a defensive rebound and hit a streaking Aaliyah for a layup, just ahead of a streaking Aubrey.

Players are going after rebounds more aggressively – Geno has always made the distinction that, “Some players get rebounds because the ball comes to them, and some go and get it.” In game after game this season, I see a much more aggressive UConn team chasing down rebounds, to borrow and old Vic Schaefer line, “Like piranhas on a roast.”

UConn is a fitter and stronger team this season – Having Aubrey and her jumping jack hops back is a huge difference maker when it comes to rebounding. The addition of Ayanna adds a physical presence that UConn hasn’t had for a while. While Lou and Azzi are great scorers, they are both big, strong guards who can crash the boards. Dorka, Aaliyah, Nika and Caroline have all improved their fitness and strength so they can play longer, harder with greater physicality. Even Amari and Ines are showing some improved aggressiveness as they earn more PT.

Much of the credit for UConn’s improved fitness and strength should go to Andrea Hudy, UConn’s Director of Sports Performance, now in her second season with the Huskies. When Hudy was added to UConn’s staff after doing a remarkable job at both Kansas & Texas, I felt it would take her 2 years to really impact UConn’s strength and conditioning, one to get everyone on board with the new program and the second where we would start to see measurable results. That is exactly what I’m seeing.

The ultimate test of UConn’s improved rebounding prowess will come on Feb 5 at the XL Center. I don’t know if the Huskies can outrebound the towering Gamecock frontline or beat the defending national champions. I am hoping to see UConn hang in there and battle SC for 40 minutes. If UConn can hold their own against SC on Feb 5, it will go a long way towards yet another championship run in March.

Reaction Score
Rebounding is a fundamental basketball skill, the “dirty work” under the boards at both ends of the court that so often represents the difference between winning and losing. SC is a prime example. There are a bunch of teams that run more sophisticated offenses and shoot it better than SC, but no other team rebounded better than the Gamecocks last season on their way to a national championship.

UConn has generally been a good, but perhaps not great, rebounding team. Last year’s team was +6.4 rpg over 36 games, which is pretty good. But UConn has always been viewed more as a finesse team, running a sophisticated motion offense that creates open looks and easy baskets. For the most part, that strategy serves the Huskies well, except in tough matchups with the likes of SC and other teams that were bigger, stronger and, it pains me to say this, tougher than the Huskies.

So far this season UConn is shooting the lights out again: 53% from the floor, 43% from the arc and 77% from the FT line. But there is something different about this team when it comes to rebounding. In their first 11 games, arguably the toughest part of the schedule, with Dorka missing 7 games and Ice lost for the season, UConn has outrebounded 10 of 11 opponents, typically by double digits, often getting second chance points on offense while holding opponents to just one shot defensively. The one notable exception was the game against ND in South Bend.

Through 11 games, UConn is a remarkable +10.5 rpg vs some big, physical opponents. How exactly did this happen? Here is what I am seeing:

All-hands on deck – Rebounding is no longer the job of 1 or 2 players. Every Husky rebounds. That’s not to say that UConn doesn’t get out on the break. The Huskies are running as well as ever. But when a shot goes up, players in position for a rebound go after it, and players on the perimeter take off on the break, regardless of whether they are guards or forwards. There was a play I loved in the Seton Hall game where Nika, UConn’s shortest player, came down with a defensive rebound and hit a streaking Aaliyah for a layup, just ahead of a streaking Aubrey.

Players are going after rebounds more aggressively – Geno has always made the distinction that, “Some players get rebounds because the ball comes to them, and some go and get it.” In game after game this season, I see a much more aggressive UConn team chasing down rebounds, to borrow and old Vic Schaefer line, “Like piranhas on a roast.”

UConn is a fitter and stronger team this season – Having Aubrey and her jumping jack hops back is a huge difference maker when it comes to rebounding. The addition of Ayanna adds a physical presence that UConn hasn’t had for a while. While Lou and Azzi are great scorers, they are both big, strong guards who can crash the boards. Dorka, Aaliyah, Nika and Caroline have all improved their fitness and strength so they can play longer, harder with greater physicality. Even Amari and Ines are showing some improved aggressiveness as they earn more PT.

Much of the credit for UConn’s improved fitness and strength should go to Andrea Hudy, UConn’s Director of Sports Performance, now in her second season with the Huskies. When Hudy was added to UConn’s staff after doing a remarkable job at both Kansas & Texas, I felt it would take her 2 years to really impact UConn’s strength and conditioning, one to get everyone on board with the new program and the second where we would start to see measurable results. That is exactly what I’m seeing.

The ultimate test of UConn’s improved rebounding prowess will come on Feb 5 at the XL Center. I don’t know if the Huskies can outrebound the towering Gamecock frontline or beat the defending national champions. I am hoping to see UConn hang in there and battle SC for 40 minutes. If UConn can hold their own against SC on Feb 5, it will go a long way towards yet another championship run in March.
Like you've done over the years, you hit the nail directly on its head. Guard oriented and finesse is exactly who we've been, and, more so recently. We've been lacking a "banger"...or two. Ice and Ayanna were just what was needed, unfortunately, the injury bug won't leave us alone. Look, all basketball fans love the outside shot, and great shooters. But, lack of an inside game - an aggressive one - can make an otherwise excellent team, good, but a notch or two below championship level. And, Dawn, more than most, understands the importance of aggressive rebounding, as well as paint points.
UCONN has the tools, and as the season progresses, perhaps Aaliyah's aggressiveness and shot accuracy will be mimicked by others. Basketball, like many other sports, is often won by the team that imposes ITS all on its opponent - the aggressor or intimidator wins before the game ever begins....not too long ago, that was the case opponents faced when playing UCONN.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Winning the rebounding battle often results in more offensive opportunities for your team and fewer opportunities for your opponent, the simple math that is the key to winning a game. Unfortunately for the Huskies, the other side of that math is turnovers.

UConn has always been a team that prides itself on taking care of the ball. So far this season, not so much. Through 11 games, UConn is averaging an uncharacteristic 17.6 turnovers per game, +2.2 more than their opponents. I am hopeful that once Azzi is back in the lineup, if not sooner, that trend reverses itself.

Reaction Score
At some point, if UConn continues to win they will face SC. If you remember last year they got crushed on the boards both games they played them. The difference this year, hopefully they will have a healthy Dorka & Edwards. Dorka is getting more comfortable and A. Edwards seems to be playing at a higher level. She was the MVP at the Global BB Tourny in Toronto this past summer & has carried it through to this season. Its too bad they don't have Ice Brady rebounding as well.

Reaction Score
Rebounding and turnovers. Two of the most fundamental parts of basketball. As for rebounding which I will discuss here, our average + last year was about 6.5 rebounds per game whereas this year it is +8 per game, not a significant statistical advantage. So what is the difference? We are a team, and have been since Stewie and crew graduated, that was and is capable of being outmuscled and in the since Stewie, that was a factor in the games we lost and some, including myself, would argue that it was a deciding factor in certain ones. You get shoved, pushed, held, face guarded to the extent of fouling, unable to cut, and your game gets changed when you are a finesse team. That is what happened at Notre Dame this year.

While Aaliyah is a different player this year (incredible transformation), Dorka is a presence underneath and Ayanna is a power contributor, the eye test to me says the difference is Aubrey. She has fast, perfectly timed elevation on her jumps for rebonds and having a 3 that can do that (Caroline is also a rebounding 3) means 3 rebounders that are not just under the basket but also within the imaginary 7.5 feet circle from the rim because that is Aubrey country. Aubrey is also a good defender and boxing out is key to rebounding.

Bill Russell used to say that he got most of his rebounds before the shot was even taken. Why? Position, knowing the angles, and boxing out. Rodman did the same thing. He would study the probable rebounds on a miss from different positions on the court, corner, elbow extended, top of the key. Aubrey is a natural at that. You learn that by playing in your backyard with your brother(s) and father or at the playground. So what happened to her at Notre Dame? Aside from the silly scheduling of Friday game, plane ride, game Sunday afternoon on national TV, Aubrey got muscled by them as did our team. It was a deliberate game plan and that push on Aaliyah which injured Azzi was deliberate as well.

We have to realize that Aubrey is still young, missed a year with back surgery and is still physically developing. That will not happen next year after an Aaliyah type summer metamorphosis for her. She is the rebounding X factor for this team right now. Once she starts going back up with a 5-7 foot turn around, release on the top or way down double pump jumper, it will be even better. Listen, we are going to be challenged on February 5 but if we get the turnovers down to 12 a game, and shoot the way we have been, I like our chances.

As was astutely pointed out, the return of Azzi will reduce the turnovers because you will have another PG as a secondary ball handler and playmaker. You don't want our bigs having to make plays with passes from the top of the key or our 3s having to look for someone to pass to because they have the ball uncomfortably. It will get fixed. It is just really difficult to watch right now and even more difficult not to scream at the TV. In the end though we are making soup for March. The vegetables all go in rough and uneven but they come out smooth and perfect when cooked and it all seems to always blend well for Chef Jean Georges Auriemma to serve in The Big Dance.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Regarding fitness, I am seeing the same thing. Aaliyah especially. She is trimmer, faster, quicker, and stronger, with better balance and footwork. She put in the work during the offseason, clearly.

Our 53% shooting percentage is a level not reached since the 2016-2018 seasons.

And we are shooting 43% from three point range, while the UConn teams from 2015-2016 forward never shot better than 40%. Note the line is further back now as well. Last season, also with the longer three point line, we only shot 34% from three. Thank you Lou! Cannot overstate her value.

We haven`t averaged more than our current 84 points per game since 2017-2018, when we averaged 86. Giving up 67 per game is way above recent years, which are all in the low to mid fifties - I think that 67 number will go down as we move into conference play, as we have played some high scoring non-conference opponents like Iowa and Florida State.

SC outrebounds opponents 52-30 and averages a ridiculous 18.75 offensive rebounds per game. They also draw almost 20 fouls per game. But, they only shoot 30% from three and Cooke is the only one averaging more than one per game with 21 over 12 games. Beating them will require staying out of foul trouble, a huge game from Aaliyah on both ends, holding them to no more than 10-12 offensive rebounds, and getting our outside shooters open.

Azzi should be back and will likely have had a few games to get back into it. As i recall when she returned from injury last season, she was great right off the bat.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'd add that I think Nika's fierceness is contagious and that has carried over into rebounding.
I absolutely agree. Size & strength are important when it comes to rebounding. But there is no substitute for desire & effort. So many times we see Nika battle amongst the trees to pull down improbable rebounds. All her teammates see that as well and that has to motivate them to do the same.

Reaction Score
Rebounding and turnovers. Two of the most fundamental parts of basketball. As for rebounding which I will discuss here, our average + last year was about 6.5 rebounds per game whereas this year it is +8 per game, not a significant statistical advantage. So what is the difference? We are a team, and have been since Stewie and crew graduated, that was and is capable of being outmuscled and in the since Stewie, that was a factor in the games we lost and some, including myself, would argue that it was a deciding factor in certain ones. You get shoved, pushed, held, face guarded to the extent of fouling, unable to cut, and your game gets changed when you are a finesse team. That is what happened at Notre Dame this year.

While Aaliyah is a different player this year (incredible transformation), Dorka is a presence underneath and Ayanna is a power contributor, the eye test to me says the difference is Aubrey. She has fast, perfectly timed elevation on her jumps for rebonds and having a 3 that can do that (Caroline is also a rebounding 3) means 3 rebounders that are not just under the basket but also within the imaginary 7.5 feet circle from the rim because that is Aubrey country. Aubrey is also a good defender and boxing out is key to rebounding.

Bill Russell used to say that he got most of his rebounds before the shot was even taken. Why? Position, knowing the angles, and boxing out. Rodman did the same thing. He would study the probable rebounds on a miss from different positions on the court, corner, elbow extended, top of the key. Aubrey is a natural at that. You learn that by playing in your backyard with your brother(s) and father or at the playground. So what happened to her at Notre Dame? Aside from the silly scheduling of Friday game, plane ride, game Sunday afternoon on national TV, Aubrey got muscled by them as did our team. It was a deliberate game plan and that push on Aaliyah which injured Azzi was deliberate as well.

We have to realize that Aubrey is still young, missed a year with back surgery and is still physically developing. That will not happen next year after an Aaliyah type summer metamorphosis for her. She is the rebounding X factor for this team right now. Once she starts going back up with a 5-7 foot turn around, release on the top or way down double pump jumper, it will be even better. Listen, we are going to be challenged on February 5 but if we get the turnovers down to 12 a game, and shoot the way we have been, I like our chances.

As was astutely pointed out, the return of Azzi will reduce the turnovers because you will have another PG as a secondary ball handler and playmaker. You don't want our bigs having to make plays with passes from the top of the key or our 3s having to look for someone to pass to because they have the ball uncomfortably. It will get fixed. It is just really difficult to watch right now and even more difficult not to scream at the TV. In the end though we are making soup for March. The vegetables all go in rough and uneven but they come out smooth and perfect when cooked and it all seems to always blend well for Chef Jean Georges Auriemma to serve in The Big Dance.
The flip side to the turnover problem we have is tentativeness and the lack of willingness to take chances. I’ve listened to enough pressers to know that Geno encourages players to take risks on the floor. Right now, the ball is moving and players are moving. Aaliyah is benefiting greatly by the space she has had to operate, I would argue because of the spacing and ball movement. Not seeing as much stagnant, standing around offense. They will learn what that good pass looks like.
There’s also the hockey assist idea, that a pass can lead to a pass can lead to a bucket. That’s when our players better recognize the optimum passing angles, like our analyst mentioned during the Seton Hall game.
Long story short: I’ll take this over standing around any day. They’re gunna get this.

Reaction Score
Regarding fitness, I am seeing the same thing. Aaliyah especially. She is trimmer, faster, quicker, and stronger, with better balance and footwork. She put in the work during the offseason, clearly.

Our 53% shooting percentage is a level not reached since the 2016-2018 seasons.

And we are shooting 43% from three point range, while the UConn teams from 2015-2016 forward never shot better than 40%. Note the line is further back now as well. Last season, also with the longer three point line, we only shot 34% from three. Thank you Lou! Cannot overstate her value.

We haven`t averaged more than our current 84 points per game since 2017-2018, when we averaged 86. Giving up 67 per game is way above recent years, which are all in the low to mid fifties - I think that 67 number will go down as we move into conference play, as we have played some high scoring non-conference opponents like Iowa and Florida State.

SC outrebounds opponents 52-30 and averages a ridiculous 18.75 offensive rebounds per game. They also draw almost 20 fouls per game. But, they only shoot 30% from three and Cooke is the only one averaging more than one per game with 21 over 12 games. Beating them will require staying out of foul trouble, a huge game from Aaliyah on both ends, holding them to no more than 10-12 offensive rebounds, and getting our outside shooters open.

Azzi should be back and will likely have had a few games to get back into it. As i recall when she returned from injury last season, she was great right off the bat.
Points per game is a meaningless statistic. Points allowed per possession is much more accurate at determining defensive ability.

Reaction Score
I absolutely agree. Size & strength are important when it comes to rebounding. But there is no substitute for desire & effort. So many times we see Nika battle amongst the trees to pull down improbable rebounds. All her teammates see that as well and that has to motivate them to do the same.
Good job. I’ll say again: Nika is not small. She’s one of the stronger players in WCBB. 5’11 is not short. With women, I add 5 inches to their height to equalize women and men. So, she’s be 6’4, AE would be 6’8, PB 6’5, etc.
In the men’s game, would it surprise anyone that a hard-nosed 6’4 player would be active on the boards. Marcus Smart? Do we remember that Sir Charles was only 6’4. (I know, that’s a stretch, but you get my point.)
If your life was on the line and you needed someone to set a screen to free you up for the game winning shot, who would you want to set that screen. Correct answer, Nika Muhl.
At least characterize her correctly, good or bad.

Reaction Score
Winning the rebounding battle often results in more offensive opportunities for your team and fewer opportunities for your opponent, the simple math that is the key to winning a game. Unfortunately for the Huskies, the other side of that math is turnovers.

UConn has always been a team that prides itself on taking care of the ball. So far this season, not so much. Through 11 games, UConn is averaging an uncharacteristic 17.6 turnovers per game, +2.2 more than their opponents. I am hopeful that once Azzi is back in the lineup, if not sooner, that trend reverses itself.
Azzi has a very low rate of turnovers, so that will help, but also Paige for how much she handles the ball has an amazingly low rate, and CW graduating was another low turnover player. The other thing all three of those players had was a low foul rate. I think for a big, Dorka is pretty good at both of those traits too and having her back will help as well.

Reaction Score
She is also a great rebounder who can start a break without an outlet pass.
Due to Aubrey's speed, sometimes a break does not look like a break until Nika throws the "touchdown pass" and Aubrey shifts to a "higher gear" and clears three defenders to appear all alone in two strides to the basket. Aubrey is amazing at stretching out her stride to not need a dribble as she catches the ball at the free throw line and brings it to the rim. Her completion of drives to the rim has been outstanding this year.

She plays with such joy. May all of the Huskies be joyful throughout the rest of this season, with no new injuries, and all injuries rapidly heal to gain full strength soon!

Reaction Score
At some point, if UConn continues to win they will face SC. If you remember last year they got crushed on the boards both games they played them. The difference this year, hopefully they will have a healthy Dorka & Edwards. Dorka is getting more comfortable and A. Edwards seems to be playing at a higher level. She was the MVP at the Global BB Tourny in Toronto this past summer & has carried it through to this season. Its too bad they don't have Ice Brady rebounding as well.
To beat SC, 1) Put a healthy center on the floor, 2) have Aubrey play this time for rebounds and running game, 3) have Azzi playing at 100% withou a cold, 4) hit the 3 ball with Azzi, Lou, Caroline and Nika making shots 5) handle SC’s defense oriented guards- limit the forced passes!

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Points per game is a meaningless statistic. Points allowed per possession is much more accurate at determining defensive ability.
And?

Oh sorry, thought you were going to wow us with a detailed points allowed per possession analysis and compare it to prior seasons.

My bad.

Reaction Score
Great thread Old Dude and others who are on point. The game has reached the point where toughness is probably more important than finesse. Whoever wins in the paint probably wins the game. The continued growth of AP becomes an important piece of the puzzle if we are to reach for the ring.

We also have players who want the ball in their hands at crunch time. That’s a winning attitude.

Reaction Score
The flip side to the turnover problem we have is tentativeness and the lack of willingness to take chances. I’ve listened to enough pressers to know that Geno encourages players to take risks on the floor. Right now, the ball is moving and players are moving. Aaliyah is benefiting greatly by the space she has had to operate, I would argue because of the spacing and ball movement. Not seeing as much stagnant, standing around offense. They will learn what that good pass looks like.
There’s also the hockey assist idea, that a pass can lead to a pass can lead to a bucket. That’s when our players better recognize the optimum passing angles, like our analyst mentioned during the Seton Hall game.
Long story short: I’ll take this over standing around any day. They’re gunna get this.
Excellent analysis of the risk-reward aspect of UConn passing. I agree--turnovers are going to occur when you have such a high ratio of assists to baskets. However, many of the passes of late are terribly forced and our players--including Nika-- seem to be fixated with trying to outdo the other in who can make the prettiest, most improbable pass with a high degree pass angle. We don't necessarily need pretty, but rather effective and efficient. And I noticed several times against Seton Hall that UConn players passed up a good shot to pass, Don't get me wrong, I much rather have an overpassing team than one who doesn't pass enough, but here's hoping that they find a healthy balance.

Kat

Reaction Score
I took a look at the box scores from this season and found that opponents took more shots than UConn in each game. In most games, though, opponents' shooting percentages were not as good as the Huskies. Combine those stats with the rebounding advantage pointed out by oldude, and I'm deducing that UConn is playing great defense.

Reaction Score

The rebounding forte of South Carolina is, of course, Boston. For the four years before her, it was Wilson. They have had the best post player in the nation for 8 straight seasons. That is the core reason they are superior at rebounding. We can't move athletes that big and agile. And smart. With strong good hands. They are both first team AA's and often MVP for the year. Hard to match that recruiting.

Reaction Score
Excellent analysis of the risk-reward aspect of UConn passing. I agree--turnovers are going to occur when you have such a high ratio of assists to baskets. However, many of the passes of late are terribly forced and our players--including Nika-- seem to be fixated with trying to outdo the other in who can make the prettiest, most improbable pass with a high degree pass angle. We don't necessarily need pretty, but rather effective and efficient. And I noticed several times against Seton Hall that UConn players passed up a good shot to pass, Don't get me wrong, I much rather have an overpassing team than one who doesn't pass enough, but here's hoping that they find a healthy balance.
Nice job!
Another thought: Does the movement + efficiency/turnover discipline evolve from robotic, paint by numbers basketball or from a free flowing impulsive style with less concern for the consequences of an error?
How do players learn about each other best?
I am visiting SF and I went to a Stanford game and Haley Jones turned it over when a wing player started to cut back door and stopped. There are those kind of turnovers too. Like a QB in a football game that throws an intro because the receiver did not run the route correctly.
I actually like the direction we’re going. ’69-’70 Knicks- they all knew what each other was going to do.

Reaction Score
And?

Oh sorry, thought you were going to wow us with a detailed points allowed per possession analysis and compare it to prior seasons.

My bad.
Just pointing out that the raw points per game isn’t a helpful comparison.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The rebounding forte of South Carolina is, of course, Boston. For the four years before her, it was Wilson. They have had the best post player in the nation for 8 straight seasons. That is the core reason they are superior at rebounding. We can't move athletes that big and agile. And smart. With strong good hands. They are both first team AA's and often MVP for the year. Hard to match that recruiting.
And yet, UConn beat Wilson’s Gamecocks all 5 times they played. While the Huskies are only 1 and 3 vs Boston’s Gamecocks, I think it has much to do with the waves Of Bigs that Dawn throws out on the floor including Amihere, Cardoso, Sexton, Beal and others, along with Boston.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom