Craig Carton Arrested for Ponzi Scheme?! | The Boneyard

Craig Carton Arrested for Ponzi Scheme?!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Rating ploy?

Absolutely. Although, its clear he didn't think it through as the feds don't allow radio shows from prison cells.

What incredible rich irony for Francesa. Craig supposedly has a count down clock to Francesa's last day. Who knew Craig wouldn't be around to see zero. And for Francesa, could ever even dream of such a gift? My god.

Reaction Score
You cant make this stuff up. Maybe this is a ratings ploy?
Rating ploy?
Absolutely. Although, its clear he didn't think it through as the feds don't allow radio shows from prison cells.

Maybe I'm being obtuse (or my sarcasm meter needs calibrating) - he's been arrested on federal charges after screwing people out of million and you think it was to raise ratings for Boomer and Carton?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Maybe I'm being obtuse (or my sarcasm meter needs calibrating) - he's been arrested on federal charges after screwing people out of million and you think it was to raise ratings for Boomer and Carton?
I'm being sarcastic - of course!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I used to be a pretty big Boomer/Carton guy, although I always liked Mike more, but this is pretty surprising.

Have to feel bad for the wife, kids and even Boomer as I doubt any of them had any idea of what was going on.

Reaction Score
I don't think Mike is taking as much joy out of this as people assume. While he despises Boomer and Carton (especially Carton), he's loyal to WFAN. The situation that this puts WFAN in is awful. They will undoubtedly lose Carton and Boomer may bail as well. With Mike retiring, that's the station losing both of their big time shows in the prime spots (morning and afternoon drive).

While Mike will still leave and should in my opinion, he CAN use this to his advantage to negotiate a huge extension and put off retirement till a full replacement for B&C gets off the ground.

The NY Times I believe has an article about this as well, with so much uncertainty sponsors will be bailing left and right on WFAN.

I believe Mike is much more upset than happy about this.

Reaction Score
I used to be a pretty big Boomer/Carton guy, although I always liked Mike more, but this is pretty surprising.

Have to feel bad for the wife, kids and even Boomer as I doubt any of them had any idea of what was going on.

Boomer and Carton also have business together. Believe they opened up a grill in Mohegan and also have a couple others elsewhere (Barclays center for one). Just sad

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Boomer and Carton also have business together. Believe they opened up a grill in Mohegan and also have a couple others elsewhere (Barclays center for one). Just sad
I could be wrong, but those are most likely licensing deals where they have lent their name and some ideas to a real food operator.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't think Mike is taking as much joy out of this as people assume. While he despises Boomer and Carton (especially Carton), he's loyal to WFAN. The situation that this puts WFAN in is awful. They will undoubtedly lose Carton and Boomer may bail as well. With Mike retiring, that's the station losing both of their big time shows in the prime spots (morning and afternoon drive).

While Mike will still leave and should in my opinion, he CAN use this to his advantage to negotiate a huge extension and put off retirement till a full replacement for B&C gets off the ground.

The NY Times I believe has an article about this as well, with so much uncertainty sponsors will be bailing left and right on WFAN.

I believe Mike is much more upset than happy about this.

Mike may have had an on-air beef with Carton, but I doubt he or anyone takes any joy in Carton making a terrible decision and leaving a wife and four kids without a dad.

Reaction Score
What an idiot! Always hated his moronic sense of humor and always avoided WFAN until 10:00am because of him. Most annoying person on the planet.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
WFAN suspends Carton after arrest on federal charges
Meli and Carton together stole $3.6 million from two investors and Carton alone scammed $2 million from one investor, the government said, promising 30 to 50 percent returns and plotting to use newly invested money to pay back earlier investors and get them to reinvest.

The criminal complaint quoted from emails in which “CC-1,” Wright and Carton discussed approaches to cleaning up various debts of $1 million, and Wright allegedly laid out eight options for repaying.
One of them: “Run to Costa Rica, change name and start life all over again,” the email said, adding, “May not be
an option.”

LOL

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Flash back to June - here is Carton telling Mark Malusis he'll never get the afternoon job, or his job...unless he is fired. Mark filled in a bunch this summer when Carton was on vacation... now - its likely to be a bunch more and yes, Carton - you have been fired. Phil Simms to fill in tomorrow.

Reaction Score
If guilty he should get more time than they gave Tate George... Pure greed... Dude was all set with his gig already....

Reaction Score
If guilty he should get more time than they gave Tate George... Pure greed... Dude was all set with his gig already....

I was surprised to read he only made $250k. That doesn't go that far in NYC with 4 kids.

Reaction Score
I was surprised to read he only made $250k. That doesn't go that far in NYC with 4 kids.

When you're already making a decent living raising 4 kids in NYC on the gig you already have, gotta guess that $250k might've been his play money... Situation was about greed, regardless...

Reaction Score
When you're already making a decent living raising 4 kids in NYC on the gig you already have, gotta guess that $250k might've been his play money... Situation was about greed, regardless...

No he made $250k from WFAN. It wasn't about greed. He was $3 million in the hole from gambling debt. This was more about desperation than greed.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

I just cant believe that figure is correct. 10 years in and he is making just 250k? And what is Boomer getting? That salary figure was included in one initial story, either the Post or Daily News and has been repeated since. I just can't see how that could be correct. I know salaries in radio are low, but this show was a different animal with blue chip sponsors, a simultcasting gig with CBS, etc. I would have guessed at least 500k base, plus performance bonuses (based on ad sales, and ancillary income like the simultcast) to push it to $1MM.

250k with four kids in lower manhattan some sort of obligation to live a rock star lifestyle to promote the show would certainly leave you short of funds.

But what this is really about is having the world by the balls and making a living calling out others misdeeds only to throw it all the way for a gambling problem that you try to cover up with your own very outrageous misdeeds.

Reaction Score
He had more income from activities outside FAN, commercials, speaking engagements,, etc.

Reaction Score
I just cant believe that figure is correct. 10 years in and he is making just 250k? And what is Boomer getting? That salary figure was included in one initial story, either the Post or Daily News and has been repeated since. I just can't see how that could be correct. I know salaries in radio are low, but this show was a different animal with blue chip sponsors, a simultcasting gig with CBS, etc. I would have guessed at least 500k base, plus performance bonuses (based on ad sales, and ancillary income like the simultcast) to push it to $1MM.

250k with four kids in lower manhattan some sort of obligation to live a rock star lifestyle to promote the show would certainly leave you short of funds.

But what this is really about is having the world by the balls and making a living calling out others misdeeds only to throw it all the way for a gambling problem that you try to cover up with your own very outrageous misdeeds.

$250K for a base might seem light but not completely out of line. Radio talent also make fees for endorsements / appearances, etc. So he would net more than that - maybe 2x the base in total depending on what else he does. Boomer being the "big name" probably makes more.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
$250K for a base might seem light but not completely out of line. Radio talent also make fees for endorsements / appearances, etc. So he would net more than that - maybe 2x the base in total depending on what else he does. Boomer being the "big name" probably makes more.

Rumor has it Carton was pulling down closer to $2million when all was said and done. No way he's living in NYC with 4 kids in private school on $250K. No excuses for what he did other than he's a bum with a problem and instead of manning up he lied, stole and cheated. He used to brag about trying to pick up women in Philly by saying he was the back up 3rd baseman for the Phillies. He's a shady 48yo man who never learned that lying doesn't pay. I have sympathy for his family and those he stole from. That's it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom