CR, the end of the BE, and WBB | The Boneyard

CR, the end of the BE, and WBB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The end of the BE as we have known it is also the end of the best women's basketball conference ever, by a substantial margin. Now, nobody has to come rushing up and getting in my face to tell me that nobody cares about anything having anything to do with women's basketball, that it has no impact on anything, ever. I know all that already because I'm a fan of the sport, and trust me, I know, I've had this explained to me innumerable times before, by both words and actions. But...

At least one BE team has been in the Final Four every year since 2007. In 2009, 2011, and 2012, two of the Final Four teams have been from the BE. In 2009, the NC game was between two BE teams, UConn and Louisville. Now in 2013, in the swan song of the BE as we have known it, no less than 3 of the wbb Final 4 teams are from the BE, UConn, ND and Louisville. The odds are quite heavy that for the second time in five years, the NC game will be between two BE teams. One side of the bracket is UConn-ND IV. On the other side, having already toppled mighty Baylor and legendary Tennessee, Louisville is likely to crush Cal in their F4 game. So, it may not mean anything to anybody, but with CR a certain "Golden Age", one in which UConn has played a huge part by setting the high standard, is coming to an end. The naysayers are exactly right, for this Golden Age, of BE women's basketball, the best women's basketball conference ever, is ending, not only without a bang, but without even a whimper. Because nobody (that matters) cares. That's a real shame, something irreplaceable will be lost. And nobody that matters will even notice what they destroyed.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You've gotten into a physical fight over women's basketball?

I hope that nursing home now takes better security measures.

Reaction Score
soccer too, to a lesser degree. Georgetown made it to the men's final this year. Louisville, the year before. St.John's, ND, South Fla, Marquette have all been regularly top-20. UConn-ND women will be missed, as well.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Wouldn't that be something? All-Big East finals in MBB and WBB? Fact is, no one will care. It will take until about Wednesday until Big East fans will be looked at like Brooklyn Dodger fans.

Reaction Score
As the BB season ends in the next week, 5 of the 8 remaining teams are from the BE. Best BB conference ever. Great way to end it. Hopefully with two championships.

Reaction Score
The biggest take away to take from the success of BE WBB this year is to note that prior to UConn's rise to dominance, the BE WBB was bottom of the barrel. Clearly having a dominant team in the conference makes all others move up and move up fast. This was the case when Miami football was dominant, as well.

Going forward, it is easy to see why the newest members of this conference TBD, are so eager to play with UConn (for BB at least). There is some potential to ride the coattails of UConn BB and create something very good. Unfortunately, this does not do anything of value for us, except give us a feeling of superiority, which will be under constant attack from everyone else, going forward. So let's just hope we can get out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom